[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Moria bombs during de-archive

ray@csri.toronto.edu (Raymond Allen) (02/14/89)

While trying to un-archive the distribution of PC-Moria, ARCE bombed with
the message "Invalid Archive Format" while trying to uncompress the file
"moria.cnf".  This was the third file that ARCE was trying to uncompress.

If anyone else has seen this happen or can suggest a fix, please mail me.
I will summarize to the net if the responses I get merit.

It is possible that I might be running too old a version of ARCE.  If so,
can someone send me a copy of a more recent version?

Thank you in advance,

Ray

--
Ray Allen  | Someday I'm going to have to change my .signature.
utcsri!ray | All of the above is usually my own opinion.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/14/89)

In article <8902132024.AA23239@baldwin.csri.toronto.edu> ray@csri.toronto.edu
(Raymond Allen) writes:
>While trying to un-archive the distribution of PC-Moria, ARCE bombed with
>the message "Invalid Archive Format" while trying to uncompress the file
>"moria.cnf".

This happens because I absent-mindedly allowed the moria archive, and
one or two others, to go through with some "Squashed" files in it.
(Sorry -- I will avoid this in the future.)  Please see if you can get
PKXARC to extract it.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  bsu-cs!dhesi@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) (02/15/89)

}(Raymond Allen) writes:
}}While trying to un-archive the distribution of PC-Moria, ARCE bombed with
}}the message "Invalid Archive Format" while trying to uncompress the file
}}"moria.cnf".

}This happens because I absent-mindedly allowed the moria archive, and
}one or two others, to go through with some "Squashed" files in it.
}(Sorry -- I will avoid this in the future.)  Please see if you can get
}PKXARC to extract it.

ARCE V3.1b can handle squashed files.  Still, I appreciate your avoiding
squashing as I do not have a Unix ARC which can handle squashed files
(blasted things!) since it saves my having to send the archive to my PC
for re-arc'ing (actually, I use ZOO :-), thanks, Rahul) and then sending
back so I can put it on my archive tape.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las or osu-cis!apr!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (02/17/89)

In article <5681@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In article <8902132024.AA23239@baldwin.csri.toronto.edu> ray@csri.toronto.edu
>(Raymond Allen) writes:
>>While trying to un-archive the distribution of PC-Moria, ARCE bombed with
>>the message "Invalid Archive Format"...
>>"moria.cnf".
>
>This happens because I absent-mindedly allowed the moria archive, and
>one or two others, to go through with some "Squashed" files in it.

Curious! I used atoz to convert the .ARC file to a ZOO archive with the
command:

	atoz -temp c:/tmp -nowait -prog arce -source mor4873.arc

and it worked OK - no complaints from arce at all!

	I just went back and re-did the whole uudecode-arce again with no
problems.  Moria.doc and moria.exe were "squashed" while the others were
"crunched." My copy of arce (V3.1b dated 9/16/87) worked just fine.

kEITH

mrk@sequent.UUCP (Marty Kell) (02/23/89)

In article <8902132024.AA23239@baldwin.csri.toronto.edu>, ray@csri.toronto.edu (Raymond Allen) writes:
> While trying to un-archive the distribution of PC-Moria, ARCE bombed with
> the message "Invalid Archive Format" while trying to uncompress the file
> "moria.cnf".  This was the third file that ARCE was trying to uncompress.
>
> Ray
>
> --
I had the same proble, with that and with the file MORIA.DOC

		mrk