[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ZOO YES

lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) (02/23/89)

Since no one seems to prefer compress and tar for archive
transmission to/from PC's, Here is another vote for zoo.

Arc/PK{ARC?ZIP} is brain dead, incompatible with Unix/Vms ... etc.

--

Frank Kolakowski
|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu                         ||      Lee F. Kolakowski   |

hpchang@tiger.waterloo.edu (I'm a Wild One) (02/24/89)

In article <LFK.89Feb23105544@mbio.med.upenn.edu> lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) writes:
>Since no one seems to prefer compress and tar for archive
>transmission to/from PC's, Here is another vote for zoo.
>Arc/PK{ARC?ZIP} is brain dead, incompatible with Unix/Vms ... etc.
>Frank Kolakowski

As a fellow U of W student - I can say that we ARE using ARC on unix systems and
I haven't had a problem yet with any of the arc files I received from the net ...
including moria - just recently posted.

brunke@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jim Brunke) (02/24/89)

In article <11771@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hpchang@tiger.waterloo.edu (I'm a Wild One) writes:
>In article <LFK.89Feb23105544@mbio.med.upenn.edu> lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) writes:
>>Since no one seems to prefer compress and tar for archive
>>transmission to/from PC's, Here is another vote for zoo.
>>Arc/PK{ARC?ZIP} is brain dead, incompatible with Unix/Vms ... etc.
>>Frank Kolakowski
>
>As a fellow U of W student - I can say that we ARE using ARC on unix systems and
>I haven't had a problem yet with any of the arc files I received from the net ...
>including moria - just recently posted.

I will have to agree, I have never gotten a garbeled binary here, and I am
running the Unix version of ARC (that is compatible w/ PK)

I can't wait to get my hands on ZIP!

Is it available on Simtel yet?

Why exactly (list reasons) why we should change the standard...

Thanks

--
                                   Jim Brunke
			Computer and Information Science

jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) (02/24/89)

Zoo ?? Yes !!!

=    You get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important     =
= Jan Erik Mostrom    | Internet: jem@sm.luth.se                     |       =
= Dept of Math & CS   | Bitnet:   jem%sm.luth.se@sekth.bitnet        | Space =
= University of Lulea | ARPA:     jem%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu |   to  =
= S-951 87 Lulea      | Voice:    +46 920 91212                      |  rent =
= Sweden              |                                              |       =

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (02/28/89)

In consideration of Rahul's recent offer to drop his distribution
restrictions on ZOO, I vote in favor of using ZOO on this newsgroup.

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank."

In article <21057@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>In consideration of Rahul's recent offer to drop his distribution
>restrictions on ZOO, I vote in favor of using ZOO on this newsgroup.

Absolutely, but for different reasons.

Zoo is technically superior in my book -- try archiving a directory TREE
with "arc" or "pkxxxxx".  It won't work!

Do the same with Zoo, then unpack it in it's ORIGINAL directory tree.  Simple.

As distributions get more complicated this becomes a GODSEND.

Let's do Zoo.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"