[net.followup] child care

avolio@decuac.UUCP (04/26/86)

In an article someone wrote:
> ANYONE WHO RESPONDED TO THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE ON 4/24 or 4/23
> PLEASE RESPOND AGAIN AS THE MAIL WAS LOST.  THANK YOU.
>> Child care need by experienced homemaker for three children
>> (one in school full time) in the Eatontown area.  Please
>> call xxx-yyyy at Holmdel, New Jersey, or electronically mail
>> to ...

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!  Not once, but twice!!!  How many people from
Sweden do you suppose will respond?  Okay, how about Australia?  Too
far?  You're expecting people from Ontario or Georgia or Washington
or Nevada to reply?  Why send it to the whole bloody world then?  Why
is it always from the same state?  Why from the same company?

Okay, really I know why.  News software is given out too quickly and
news connections are made in an assembly-line fashion.  You want it?
Sure. You want it? Sure  You want it?  Sure.  And so on.  So the news
administrators (if there are even such people... I suspect not) just
say -- there it is and never educate anyone in the use of the software
as they themselves were never educated.  So, having no idea that `net.'
newsgroups, in general, go to 22 or so countries on 4 different
continents, they post requests for local things 1) to the wrong
newsgroups and 2) worldwide.

When I send news software to a site that wants a USENET connection, I
do not start up the news connection before asking that the contact on
the other end read the documents that come with the software.  At
leats then there's a chance of some education getting done and,
hopefully, the importance of "knowing what you're doing" will sink
in.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM          UUCP: {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (04/28/86)

>I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!  Not once, but twice!!!  How many people from
>Sweden do you suppose will respond?  Okay, how about Australia?  Too
>far?  You're expecting people from Ontario or Georgia or Washington
>or Nevada to reply?  Why send it to the whole bloody world then?  Why
>is it always from the same state?  Why from the same company?
***

From what I have seen, the New Jersey AT&T sites blow it in this fashion
more often than any other part of the world.  I think part of the problem
is that there's a misconception on the part of the users over there that
Usenet is an AT&T network.  I've taken issue with offenders in this area
via private mail and have been told a) there are no local groups in NJ,
b) because of this, there's nothing wrong with posting lost and found
notices in net.general, and c) they don't give a damn about the rest
of the world.

In a similar vein, it occurs to me that the low traffic in net.general
makes it a tempting place to post when you want to be sure to be noticed.
Thus, it's a 'dandy' place for garage sale ads and requests for babysitting,
and a 'great' extension of net.politics.  I don't know what the solution
might be.  Discussions on nuking net.general have already been beat into
the ground, and probably don't belong here in any case.

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

mkr@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (04/30/86)

In article <905@decuac.UUCP> avolio@decuac.UUCP writes:
>In an article someone wrote:
>> ANYONE WHO RESPONDED TO THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE ON 4/24 or 4/23
>> PLEASE RESPOND AGAIN AS THE MAIL WAS LOST.  THANK YOU.
>>> Child care need by experienced homemaker for three children
>>> (one in school full time) in the Eatontown area.  Please
>>> call xxx-yyyy at Holmdel, New Jersey, or electronically mail
>>> to ...
>
>I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!  Not once, but twice!!!  How many people from
>Sweden do you suppose will respond?  Okay, how about Australia?  Too
>far?  You're expecting people from Ontario or Georgia or Washington
>or Nevada to reply?  Why send it to the whole bloody world then?  Why
>is it always from the same state?  Why from the same company?
>
>Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
>INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM          UUCP: {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

	Usually a good point, but not in this case. Sweden provides
many au-pair "girls" to fill the jobs like the one mentioned, as
do many other countries. Re-location for such a job is not uncommon
by any means.

	--MKR

rec@mplvax.UUCP (Richard Currier) (05/02/86)

In article <790@mmm.UUCP> mkr@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:

>	Usually a good point, but not in this case. Sweden provides
>many au-pair "girls" to fill the jobs like the one mentioned, as
>do many other countries. Re-location for such a job is not uncommon
>by any means.
>
>	--MKR

How can I get a pair of those girls for myself???

--
	richard currier		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!rec