[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Consult programme colours? and green mono screen.

harper@cc.helsinki.fi (ROBERT HARPER FINLAND) (03/02/89)

    When I checked out CONSULT.EXE on a Olivetti M24 with a Mono green
    screen, the "file card" popped up just fine but It did not show up
    any of the "help info" on the left hand side of the card. On a IBM
    clone with Hercules the "help info" appeared as underlined,  which
    usually means that the text on a colour sceen would be blue.

    When  I  got  the  programme on a PS/2 with VGA, CONSULT popped in
    BLUE and WHITE... this would  appear  not  to  be  a  good  colour
    combination for OLIVETTI M24 CGA with a green screen. Is there any
    way to patch the programme to produce a more suitable colours

    Rob "backwoods" Harper

todd@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/04/89)

In article <2452@cc.helsinki.fi>, harper@cc.helsinki.fi (ROBERT HARPER FINLAND) writes:
>     When I checked out CONSULT.EXE on a Olivetti M24 with a Mono green
>     screen, the "file card" popped up just fine but It did not show up
>     any of the "help info" on the left hand side of the card. On a IBM
>     clone with Hercules the "help info" appeared as underlined,  which
>     usually means that the text on a colour sceen would be blue.
>
>     When  I  got  the  programme on a PS/2 with VGA, CONSULT popped in
>     BLUE and WHITE... this would  appear  not  to  be  a  good  colour
>     combination for OLIVETTI M24 CGA with a green screen. Is there any
>     way to patch the programme to produce a more suitable colours
>
>     Rob "backwoods" Harper

Yes, there is a compatibility problem with CONSULT on monochrome displays.

As it turns out, CONSULT was developed for use on Zenith 160s, the luggable
computers with the amber screens.  These screens are not monochrome, however.
They are CGA monitors.  The assumption that they were monochrome is an error
that has only now made itself apparent.

Unfortunately, I can't advise a patch for the present program since I have
lost the map file when development of version 2.0 progressed. Again my fault.

Version 2.0, by the way, has a command line parameter which allows the user
to specify the foreground and background colors.

I will re-edit and re-compile version 1.7 (since I managed to back that
version up) and add the command option feature to version 1.8.

Those who are interested in this fix should send a message to me.  It will
take me a few days to get things together.  I think I'll hold off sending
the fix until I've given everyone a chance to respond to incompatibility
problems, then I will send the new version (version 1.9, 1.8.1, or maybe
version 1.8a) to the respondants.

Is this satisfactory?

Todd Gocheonour
University of Kansas
(913)864-0451
BITNET:  TODD@KUHUB
Internet: Todd@ukanvax.cc.ukans.edu

todd@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/04/89)

Only minutes after posting the last message, I found the archive
disk that contains the source code to CONSULT V1.8.  I'm in luck.

The patch is as follows:

                               1:  rename CONSULT.EXE CONSULT.BIN
Using DOS DEBUG: Type          2:  debug CONSULT.BIN
     twiddle the byte          3:  e6659:1e1e
      to the response          4:  6659:1e1e 70.
                 type                           07   <RETURN>
  then write the file          5:  w
                  and          6:  rename CONSULT.BIN CONSULT.EXE

You will get a monochrome compatible white on black.  To me it looks
ghostly, but with monochrome displays, its the best I can do.

Good luck,

Todd Gocheonour
University of Kansas
(913)864-0451
BITNET:  TODD@KUHUB
Internet: Todd@ukanvax.cc.ukans.edu

todd@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/07/89)

I am told that the address posted in the previous message yields a
value of 00, not 70.

I downloaded the arc file from the vax, unarced it, and found that
the correct address (I hope and pray) is 1434:20AE.

Try this address (it works on my copy) and see if the window appears white
on black.

> Good luck,
>
> Todd Gocheonour
> University of Kansas
> (913)864-0451
> BITNET:  TODD@KUHUB
> Internet: Todd@ukanvax.cc.ukans.edu

todd@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/07/89)

Also...  Ignore the segment address.  Just use the offset 20AE.  I
just found out that debug edits the memory image, so the segment address
will vary depending on what is loaded into memory.

 Todd Gocheonour
 University of Kansas
 (913)864-0451
 BITNET:  TODD@UKANVAX