[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] CALL TO VOTE: use zoo in comp.binar

roy@sts.sts.com (03/02/89)

On a suggestion from Rich McAllister (rfm@sun.com), I am posting yet
another "call for votes", in case anyone out there has killed the
original "zoo'ed IBM-PC binaries?" discussion and doesn't know that
a vote is going on.

Would you like to see binaries in comp.binaries.ibm.pc appear in
zoo format?  If Rahul gets a 2 to 1 outcome in favor of zoo, the
switch will be made to zoo and he promises the following copyright
modification:

/* Written  8:26 am  Feb 24, 1989 by dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP in sts:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */
In article <17652@genrad.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>I will concede that ZOO is a more portable program (as well as being a
>more CAPABLE program), and probably deserves to be the new standard.
>But what we REALLY need is a PUBLIC DOMAIN archive program with NO
>RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER.

I'm beginning to agree.

Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will drop all distribution restrictions on all
versions of zoo, with the minor exceptions that (a) nothing
incompatible be created from my code and (b) source be made available
for any binaries distributed unless I agree otherwise.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  bsu-cs!dhesi@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Please send your votes to sts!roy (roy@sts.com is an erroneous
address.)  And thanks for putting up with the initial confusion!

Roy Bixler                   | UUCP: ...!{claris,sun}!sts!roy
Semiconductor Test Solutions | phones: (408) 727-2885 x132 (work)
4101 Burton Dr.              |         (408) 289-1035      (home)
Santa Clara, CA  95054

bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) (03/08/89)

In article <77800008@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:
>Please send your votes to sts!roy (roy@sts.com is an erroneous
>address.

Neither address is adequate.

The first is returned from the US as "address unknown".
The second cannot even get away from this site!

If you want mailed votes from Europe something better is required.