[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] zoo'ed IBM-PC binaries?

roy@sts.sts.com (02/23/89)

How many people would like to see the archive format in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?  The advantage to this
is now zoo is widely available on Unix systems (just posted on
comp.sources.unix) and you can now un-arc (un-zoo?)  the "binaries" on
your host machine, look at the documentation and see if this thing
that was posted is really worth downloading to the PC.  Also, if
you're sick of the PK/SEA controversy and the whole copyright mess,
this will avoid THAT "noid" (not you Ken, wherever you are!)  I really
don't see any disadvantages, since zoo is also widely available for
the PC.

So, what do you think?  If there are enough "yes" votes, Rahul says he'd
be willing to switch.

Roy Bixler                   | UUCP: ...!{claris,sun}!sts!roy
Semiconductor Test Solutions | phones: (408) 727-2885 x132 (work)
4101 Burton Dr.              |         (408) 289-1035      (home)
Santa Clara, CA  95054

opsowens@sunybcs.uucp (William Owens) (02/23/89)

               --------------------------------
>comp.sources.unix) and you can now un-arc (un-zoo?)  the "binaries" on
>your host machine...
...and print the docs on the network attached printer without having to
download, un-arc, and upload. We don't have arc on this machine, and even
when we did, it hardly ever worked (Segmentation faults). I don't care about
copyrights or shareware or anything like that. I am just looking for
the best answer, and so far Zoo seems to be it.

                                        Bill.

-And you can check archive integrity, break up large archives for easier
downloading, and set up code for posting either at home (on a PC, presumably)
or on the big machine.

Bill Owens                                 opsowens@marvin.cs.buffalo.edu
                                           opnowens@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
 You rotten Norman swine you...look, my knees 'ave dropped! - Bluebottle

pfeifer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Mark C Pfeifer) (02/23/89)

In article <77800005@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:

>How many people would like to see the archive format in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?

[stuff deleted]

>So, what do you think?  If there are enough "yes" votes, Rahul says he'd
>be willing to switch.

Some of the local BBSs are also dropping ARC, but are instead switching
to PKZAP (Phil Katz's new archiver).  The new program claims to compress
better than ARC (or PKPAK), and the documentation seems to allow easy
porting to UN*X.  This could be worth some thought, too.

					Mark

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\                                                           \
\  Mark Pfeifer              pfeifer@vax1.acs.udel.edu      \
\                            University of Delaware         \
\                                                           \
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (02/23/89)

In article <77800005@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:

>How many people would like to see the archive format in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?  The advantage to this

Yes
yes
YES

(one each for the DOS, Unix and VMS sytems we develop on)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (02/23/89)

I personally prefer to use ZOO (and I'm glad to know it's available for
UNIX), but there have been moves to switch before (around the time of
the SEA vs.  PKWare suit) and numerous grumblings from prople who
didn't want to switch, for one reason or another.  I won't lose any
sleep if we stick with ARC format, but I *do* like ZOO.

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 Internet - hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

hst@mh_co2.mh.nl (Klaas Hemstra) (02/23/89)

From article <77800005@sts>, by roy@sts.sts.com:

> How many people would like to see the archive format in
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?  The advantage to this

Sorry but I would not like that.
I have arc (ok, not PKarc) on UNIX too.
In the binaries arc's I am only interested in the documentation files in
the archives. I have not had any problems extracting these file from those
archives on a Unix computers.

Klaas Hemstra  (hst@mh.nl)                   |    /  / ,~~~  ~~/~~
uucp: ..{uunet!}hp4nl!mh.nl!hst              |   /--/  `-,    /  ___  |_/ |__|
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands      |  /  / ___/    /   ---  | \ |  |

hpchang@tiger.waterloo.edu (I'm a Wild One) (02/23/89)

In article <77800005@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:
>How many people would like to see the archive format in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?
>Roy Bixler

Ok, here we go again.
YES - I am a ZOO user from time to time.
YES - I am also an ARC user.
YES - ZOO is available for UNIX and DOS systems.
YES - ARC is available for both UNIX and DOS systems.

So, the problem boils down to - what is most appropriate in this situation,
ZOO or ARC.  The only MAJOR difference I've found is that ZOO maintains
directory information whereas ARC does not.  Since postings to the network
are for everyone who is interested, I don't really want to have default
directories created when I extract files from my ZOO file. (Yes, the default
directory can be overwritten, but it takes more keystrokes)  I like both
archivers, but for national distribution, I say stick to ARC.

(One small vote for ARC)

me.

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (02/23/89)

In article <77800005@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:

>How many people would like to see the archive format in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?  The advantage ....
>.... Also, if you're sick of the PK/SEA controversy ....
>So, what do you think?  If there are enough "yes" votes, Rahul says he'd
>be willing to switch.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

                             10^3 times YES.
                         Another 10^3 times YES.
                       NO MORE NEW NON-STANDARDS!

Let me also ask whether work is going on to adapt zoo to be the friendly
multi-floppy compressing backup/restore program the world needs?
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.ll.mit.edu]
  A flush beats a full house.

christnp@stolaf.acc.stolaf.edu (Nikolai P. Christenson) (02/23/89)

In article <77800005@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:

>How many people would like to see the archive format in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?

Personally, I'd rather stay with arc.

--
Nick Christenson
christnp@thor.acc.stolaf.edu

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/24/89)

I'm in favor of switching now. arc is not available on UNIX machines,
and PKZIP (did someone say ZAP?) is shareware again. Let's go with
no-fee software that runs almost everywhere. Even the VMS guys can use
zoo!

I expect arc v6.00 to be ported to UNIX soon (source is included) but
that doesn't solve the basic problem. Now if zoo could only be posted on
services like Compu$serve it could sweep the world.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (02/24/89)

In article <2914@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> pfeifer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Mark C Pfeifer) writes:
>In article <77800005@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:
>>How many people would like to see the archive format in
>>comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?
>[stuff deleted]
>Some of the local BBSs are also dropping ARC, but are instead switching
>to PKZAP (Phil Katz's new archiver).  The new program claims to compress
>better than ARC (or PKPAK), and the documentation seems to allow easy
>porting to UN*X.  This could be worth some thought, too.

I vote for Zoo.  I have zoo now, on all the machines I use.  Works great.

ZIP (Katz's new archiver) looks nice too, but I don't believe it will keep
Unix attributes like zoo.  Besides that, only the format has been documented.
That's nice, but a very, very long way from having a fully functional and
portable program developed to manipulate zip archives under Unix.

We have zoo now.  I can't think of a single reason not to standardize on
it.

--
George M. Sipe,		Phone: (404) 447-4731,  FAX: (404) 662-1537
Forte Technology, 537 Lakeshore Drive, Berkeley Lake, GA  30136-3035

roy@sts.sts.com (02/24/89)

> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 22:17:11 EST
> From: claris!ames!ncar.UCAR.EDU!mailrus!iuvax!bsu-cs!mdlawler (Mike Lawler)
> To: mailrus!ncar!ames!claris!sts!roy
> Subject: Re: zoo'ed IBM-PC binaries?
>
> I vote yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to this.  I use zoo all of the time and I know
> Rahul so if I have a problem I can get it figured out a lot faster.  by the way
> how do we vote.  Do we post or email to you?  If we should post just post my
> response in a summary if you get one.

In answer to this, I would say that mailing votes to me would be best.
I've never done anything like this before, but if there are a lot of
votes, it wouldn't make sense to clutter the network with each one.
Of course, I will summarize the response.

Question: do you think this inquiry should be cross-posted anywhere?

Roy Bixler                   | UUCP: ...!{claris,sun}!sts!roy
Semiconductor Test Solutions | phones: (408) 727-2885 x132 (work)
4101 Burton Dr.              |         (408) 289-1035      (home)
Santa Clara, CA  95054

news@netnews.upenn.edu (USENET News System) (02/24/89)

much more common, it seems to me, and what's the big deal about the
copyright issue anyway?  If you have PKUNPAK or whatever, there's no law
against using it.  Only that Phil Katz can't write any more .ARC programs.
And his new ZIP format is very nice, anyway.  It compresses files even further
than ARC or ZOO ever did, and compression ratio is more important to me than
any other factor.  If I start converting my files, it'll probably be to ZIP
rather than ZOO.
From: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman)

Disclaimer:  I have no personal interest in either Phil Katz, SEA or the
authors of ZOO, aside from that their programs are nice...

Andy Silverman
Internet: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
CompuServe: 72261,531

bgarrabr@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Byon Garrabrant) (02/24/89)

Tack one more vote for yes on to the list.
I use Zoo at home, I use Zoo at work, and it
would be great to use it with the net!!!

                                               -Byon
"Mashed potatoes can be your friends!" - Al Yankovic

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (02/24/89)

>>How many people would like to see the archive format in

The author of ZOO has graciously donated reams of ZOO source
code to the Public Domain with minimal restrictions on how it is
used.  The author of ARC wants money for his code, even to the point
of sueing other software authors to get it.
Who would you rather support?  (need I say more?)

	...!gatech!stiatl!todd
	Todd Merriman 404-377-8638
	Atlanta, GA

jpn@genrad.com (John P. Nelson) (02/24/89)

In article <13229@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>I'm in favor of switching now. arc is not available on UNIX machines,

I really don't understand why people keep saying that.  The UNIX source
has been posted to usenet at least 3 times.  The latest version that
was posted is a port of ARC 5.21 with PKARC extensions (i.e.
squashing), and it compiles on both System V and Berkeley.  This
version was even blessed by Thom Henderson (UNIX users can run it
without oblication to SEA:  that is not SEA's primary market).  This
source has been available and stable for about a year.  What MORE
do you want?

>I expect arc v6.00 to be ported to UNIX soon (source is included) but
>that doesn't solve the basic problem.

I'm not sure what you consider the basic problem.  I don't think the
SEA copyright restrictions are any more severe than the ZOO copyright
restrictions.  Neither are public domain.

While Phil Katz created a much faster version of ARC, he got caught
with his hand in the cookie jar:  he used source code copyrighted by a
direct competitor.  I don't really see what all the fuss is about:  I
have no reason to think that Rahul would react differently if someone
pirated his code and tried to sell it.

>Now if zoo could only be posted on
>services like Compu$serve it could sweep the world.

This is my main reservation about zoo:  Rahul insists on adding
complicated restrictions to his program.  I have no particular love
for either SEA or PK, but right now, I don't see any overwhelming
reason to make a change.

I will concede that ZOO is a more portable program (as well as being a
more CAPABLE program), and probably deserves to be the new standard.
But what we REALLY need is a PUBLIC DOMAIN archive program with NO
RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER.  Until that arrives, I don't see any reason to
upset the applecart.

     john nelson

UUCP:	{decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
smail:	jpn@teddy.genrad.com

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (02/24/89)

My personal reality is that I have both zoo and unpak/pak.  If zip takes off,
I'll probably have to keep a copy of that around, too.  On my Unix host, I've
gotten zoo and arc installed.  If zip shows up for Unix, I'll go for that, too.

But I prefer zoo, and I trust it.  It comes with source.  It's
community-oriented.  It has corruption recovery.  It supports varied systems
better.  It gives me MSDOS-specific features that I don't have with unpak, and
haven't seen promised for zip (i.e., extract-&-execute-from-memory -- very
significant under MSDOS's excuse for pipes).  It's here now, and its version
number is larger than a proper fraction.

I vote for zoo (again).

hood@june.cs.washington.edu (Rick Hood) (02/24/89)

Yes.  Definitely zoo.  2^yes.

F R Hood III  (Rick)    	University of Washington, FR-35
hood@cs.washington.edu		Seattle, WA  98195
{rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!hood
F R Hood III  (Rick)    	University of Washington, FR-35
hood@cs.washington.edu		Seattle, WA  98195
{rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!hood

sms@ficc.uu.net (Stanley M. Sutton) (02/24/89)

I'm in favor of arc.
--
Stanley M. Sutton, Service &T, Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!sms,     sms@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5023

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (02/24/89)

In article <17652@genrad.UUCP>, jpn@genrad.com (John P. Nelson) writes:
> I will concede that ZOO is a more portable program (as well as being a
> more CAPABLE program), and probably deserves to be the new standard.
> But what we REALLY need is a PUBLIC DOMAIN archive program with NO
> RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER.  Until that arrives, I don't see any reason to
> upset the applecart.

You mean we should wait until someone spends many hours creating a program,
and then wants to give it away for free, even to people who will sell it at
a profit?  My understanding of public domain is that you can do whatever you
want with it, including selling it for $250 per copy without giving the author
a dime. In the old days people did things like that. Not any more.  While I
don't personally agree with Rahul's restrictions concerning the redistribution
of ZOO by services like Compu$erve, the restrictions on ZOO are far more
liberal than any comparable product we are likely to see.  Since Mr. Nelson
agrees that ZOO has more capabilities than ARC (tm of SEA), and it is available
to anyone on USENET for free, I think we should use it.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/25/89)

In article <17652@genrad.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>I will concede that ZOO is a more portable program (as well as being a
>more CAPABLE program), and probably deserves to be the new standard.
>But what we REALLY need is a PUBLIC DOMAIN archive program with NO
>RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER.

I'm beginning to agree.

Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will drop all distribution restrictions on all
versions of zoo, with the minor exceptions that (a) nothing
incompatible be created from my code and (b) source be made available
for any binaries distributed unless I agree otherwise.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  bsu-cs!dhesi@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (02/25/89)

In article <5889@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
>least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will drop all distribution restrictions on all
>versions of zoo, with the minor exceptions that (a) nothing
>incompatible be created from my code and (b) source be made available
>for any binaries distributed unless I agree otherwise.

I'll vote for zoo, but would like to point out that your condition (b) is
rather ambiguous:  It seems like putting my source up for sale for a
high price follows the letter, but not the spirit, of what you've written.

I'd agree to the condition even if the requirement was free, or at cost,
source code distribution.  But then I know nothing about file compression,
so it's not too likely to affect me anyways.

Duncan Murdoch

young@cxsea.UUCP (Gary Young) (02/25/89)

In article <77800005@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:

>How many people would like to see the archive format in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo? ...
>
>Roy Bixler                   | UUCP: ...!{claris,sun}!sts!roy
>Semiconductor Test Solutions | phones: (408) 727-2885 x132 (work)
>4101 Burton Dr.              |         (408) 289-1035      (home)
>Santa Clara, CA  95054

Does ZOO support subdirectories in the archive format?
The problems that I encounter in handling network files involve:
  (1) files in subdirectories, or which should be in subdirectories,
  (2) files that contain two or more periods in their name (but not
      usually from this news group), and
  (3) archives that are over 360K.
The collecting of net files is too labor intensive.  A good archiver
should run semi-automatically for all possible cases, as well as
doing a good job of compression.  It should combine the best features
of arc, tar, cpio, compress, and split/cat; and be automatic.

I have not paid much attention to the general discussion on the net
about archive formats, but would like these problems considered in
your decission.

--
Gary H. Young    young@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!young
+1 206 251 6098  Motorola Computer X Inc. - a Motorola New Enterprise company

mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) (02/25/89)

I vote for staying with ARC.

Nick Mason/ms272G/John Fluke Mfg Co/Box C9090/Everett WA 98206 USA
   mason@tc.fluke.COM
UUCP:
 {{cornell,decvax,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver} \
{microsoft,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,sunup} - !fluke!mason
		 {ssc-vax,hplsla,wavetek,uw-vlsi,tikal} /
ARPA: fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA
BITNET: "fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA"@PSUVAX1.bitnet
"Avoid the Dull and Ignorant"

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (02/25/89)

In article <5889@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
> least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will drop all distribution restrictions on all
> versions of zoo, with the minor exceptions that (a) nothing
> incompatible be created from my code and (b) source be made available
> for any binaries distributed unless I agree otherwise.

Except for the fact that ZOO doesn't work on our unix machine while
ARC does!!!!

Actually I have nothing against ZOO since this is a PC binaries group and
I can unarc, unzoo, unpak, uncompress, untar, unar, etc on my PC!

So then WHY restrict uploads or distribution to ANY one format!!!!

Heck, let's just .LBR averything and then squeeze it to .LQR ... I can
handle those too!!!  BUT THE ONLY THING I CAN'T HANDLE ON UNIX IS ZOO!

If this is a PC Binaries group then distrubute stuff for PC'ers not for
UNIX'ers!

			   - Joe Applegate -

    ======================STANDARD DISCLAIMER============================
     All views and opinions are my own and do not represent the views or
     opinions of the Colorado School of Mines, whatever they might be.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/25/89)

In article <17652@genrad.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
| In article <13229@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
| >I'm in favor of switching now. arc is not available on UNIX machines,
|
| I really don't understand why people keep saying that.  The UNIX source
| has been posted to usenet at least 3 times.  The latest version that
| was posted is a port of ARC 5.21 with PKARC extensions (i.e.
| squashing), and it compiles on both System V and Berkeley.  This
	I don't know why others say it, I say it because the version
	with PK extensions doesn't work on anything I can access except
	Ultrix and SunOS (BSD environment). It doesn't seem to work on
	Xenix/286 (okay it's a segmented archetecture), Xenix/386
	(32bit, V.3), Encore (BSD) or even Cray2 (V.?). zoo runs on all
	of them, first try.
| version was even blessed by Thom Henderson (UNIX users can run it
| without oblication to SEA:  that is not SEA's primary market).  This
| source has been available and stable for about a year.  What MORE
| do you want?
	It's nice that it compiles, but I really would like it to run...
	I got the original posting running on most machines and later
	got several other versions. Some save the files with uppercase
	names, some lower, some accept and strip path info, etc.

| >I expect arc v6.00 to be ported to UNIX soon (source is included) but
| >that doesn't solve the basic problem.
|
| I'm not sure what you consider the basic problem.  I don't think the
	It takes a lot of hacking to get arc to compile on many systems,
	and even more to make it work. Why should we do that when zoo is
	here and now.
| SEA copyright restrictions are any more severe than the ZOO copyright
| restrictions.  Neither are public domain.
	You are not asked to send money for zoo, under any circumstances.

| I will concede that ZOO is a more portable program (as well as being a
| more CAPABLE program), and probably deserves to be the new standard.
| But what we REALLY need is a PUBLIC DOMAIN archive program with NO
| RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER.  Until that arrives, I don't see any reason to
| upset the applecart.
	I have mixed feelings about that... with a totally public domain
	version we could wind up with incompatible versions. As long as
	there is a copyright other versions are discouraged, at least. I
	don't distribute my hacked zoo, not because I worry about being
	sued, but because there aren't supposed to be any incompatible
	derivitive works. That's fair.

Let's hope that Rahul just cuts the restrictions down to "don't
sell it" and lets it go at that.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (02/26/89)

It's fine by me IF a copy of the ZOO archivers, dearchivers showed up
here (In .ARC format, of course!) so that we .ARC'ers could use these
files too.
--
   /|  This is my sig. I must learn its parts like I know myself.
\'o.O'  Steven Spielberg presents the Last Temptation of Schwartzeneggar!

twb@hoqax.UUCP (T.W. Beattie) (02/27/89)

>>How many people would like to see the archive format in
>>comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?

I have never seen a ZOO file on a BBS but I have already encountered
ZIP files.

Seems like ZIP is a better candidate for replacing ARC.
Especially after the abuse PKWARE suffered from SEA.
---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) (02/27/89)

In article <5889@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
>least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will drop all distribution restrictions on all
>versions of zoo, with the minor exceptions that (a) nothing
>incompatible be created from my code and (b) source be made available
>for any binaries distributed unless I agree otherwise.

Bravo!

--
-----------------
Peter Palij                                               uunet!apexepa!peter

grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) (02/27/89)

I have always used the PK programs, but I would have no major objections
to moving over to ZOO ON THE CONDITION that once every month or two
ZOO is sent over the net in a form that is readable to people that DO
NOT have ZOO.

In the past, many people (including those that are unable to FTP anywhere)
have requested the archiving utilities.  If the "standard" is being changed,
then everyone must have easy access to the standard.

--
Dennis Grinberg, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan ISRAEL
BITNET:   grinberg@bimacs.bitnet

skeeve@mhuxu.UUCP (Chris Riley) (02/28/89)

Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Subject: Re: zoo'ed IBM-PC binaries?
In article <2184@hoqax.UUCP> twb@hoqax.UUCP (T.W. Beattie) writes:
|||How many people would like to see the archive format in
|||comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?
|
|I have never seen a ZOO file on a BBS but I have already encountered
|ZIP files.
|
|Seems like ZIP is a better candidate for replacing ARC.
|Especially after the abuse PKWARE suffered from SEA.
|---
|Tom Beattie

I also would rather see ZIP files than ARC or ZOO files.  ARC and ZOO are
about the same in terms of file compression.  ZIP beats both by a fair
margin.  I would like to avoid using any SEA product anyway.

--
Chris Riley                         My mind isn't always in the gutter
                                    -- sometimes it comes out to feed.

car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) (02/28/89)

In article <17652@genrad.UUCP>, jpn@genrad.com (John P. Nelson) writes:
> In article <13229@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> >I'm in favor of switching now. arc is not available on UNIX machines,
>
> I really don't understand why people keep saying that.  The UNIX source
> has been posted to usenet at least 3 times.  The latest version that
> was posted is a port of ARC 5.21 with PKARC extensions (i.e.
> squashing), and it compiles on both System V and Berkeley.

I got the source for ARC 5.21 for my System V Release 2 system.
It wouldn't compile - after a bit of hacking I gave up on it.

More often than not, the ARC's I get from the net don't work with the version
of ARC.EXE I have for MSDOS - that's a pain. Maybe I have an older ARC.EXE -
who knows?

ZOO, on the other hand, WORKS GREAT on my System V. And, I didn't have to do
any major back flips to get it working.

> What MORE do you want?

Something that works well in BOTH environments.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek
uunet!edsews!{rphroy!}pte!car  Minix,PC/XT,Mac+,TRS-80 Model I: Buy Sell Trade

jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) (02/28/89)

In article <520@apexepa.UUCP> peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) writes:
>In article <5889@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>>
>>Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
>>least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
>Bravo!

Bravo and 9 votes for zoo from us at this site.

----
James Howard AA5R     Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
(512) 329-5006        jhoward@helps.cactus.org  or  bigtex!helps!jhoward

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/28/89)

I ask you all to note a few things.

Roy Bixler asked me if I might want to switch to using zoo format for
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I told him that I would if that's the way users
wanted to go, and suggested that he ask.  I will happily go with
whatever the consensus is.

Please don't send me any votes by email, and please don't post any
votes.

I am not collecting votes on this issue, because I am probably biased.
If any voting is done it should be (a) organized by one or more
relatively impartial people, and (b) done solely via private email.

So, I request all users to avoid casting votes by posting articles.
Please post an article on this issue only if you have some important
points to make, either pro or con.

So *if* the comp.{sys,binaries}.ibm.pc community holds an impartial
vote, and *if* there is a 2:1 vote in favor of zoo, I will change to
zoo format, and also drop my zoo distribution restrictions as I
described earlier.

P.S.  My own selfish point of view is that using zoo format would be
much better for me.  It's not just because I wrote it.  I can do a lot
more with zoo archives, on our 4.3BSD system here, including commands
like:

     for f in `zoo lfq xyz`; do; zoo xpq xyz $f | cmp - $f; done

which compares each archived file in xyz.zoo with its disk copy and
reports if they are different.  I can search a bunch of zoo archives
for a file with a simple UNIX command like "zoo L *.zoo | grep name".
Among the tools I use for moderation arc is the bottleneck because of
its slow speed and lack of flexibility.  The easier life is for me the
better a job of moderation I can do.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

roy@sts.sts.com (03/01/89)

/* Written  8:39 pm  Feb 27, 1989 by dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP in sts:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */
I ask you all to note a few things.

Roy Bixler asked me if I might want to switch to using zoo format for
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I told him that I would if that's the way users
wanted to go, and suggested that he ask.  I will happily go with
whatever the consensus is.

Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
/* End of text from sts:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */

I am collecting the votes via e-mail.  So far I've received about 20 - keep
'em coming!

wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.[ho95c]) (03/01/89)

In article <5889@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
:In article <17652@genrad.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
:>But what we REALLY need is a PUBLIC DOMAIN archive program with NO
:>RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER.
:Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
:least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
:comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will drop all distribution restrictions on all
:versions of zoo, with the minor exceptions that (a) nothing
:incompatible be created from my code and (b) source be made available
:for any binaries distributed unless I agree otherwise.

Great!  I'll vote yes for that.  I don't know if you'll be
able to break into the ARC market in the non-UNIX PC world,
but it's worthwhile and I applaud your willingness.  You
might want to add
	c) your name be left in all copies.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
# Synchronicity is when the paper has an article about Moonie ties to

emanuel@cernvax.UUCP (emanuel) (03/01/89)

In article <9137@mhuxu.UUCP> skeeve@mhuxu.UUCP (79533-riley c) writes:
>In article <2184@hoqax.UUCP> twb@hoqax.UUCP (T.W. Beattie) writes:
>|
>|Seems like ZIP is a better candidate for replacing ARC.
>|Especially after the abuse PKWARE suffered from SEA.
>
>I also would rather see ZIP files than ARC or ZOO files.  ARC and ZOO are
>about the same in terms of file compression.  ZIP beats both by a fair
>margin.  I would like to avoid using any SEA product anyway.

	Honestly, I can see the point of SEA in what "she" did to PKWARE. I
can understand it, though I don't agree very much on the precedent that it
brought.
	However, it seems to me that it is not good policy to take decisions
based on emotional grounds. Come on, that's what the media is always trying
to force us into. Politicians too. "Oh, this POOR little defenseless guy was
caught by an EVIL, RUTHLESS and HARSH police officer..." (*) So, why go for
ZIP or PKPAK for THOSE reasons?

	I'd propose that some benchmarks would be presented on ALL compression
programs, so that we can have a clearer idea of the implications (moneywise
too...) of our votes. I'm using ARC, but I'll gladly vote otherwise if I'm
convinced that the OTHERWISE is better. Rahul made some good points recently
on the moderation problem. I prefer that kind of argumentation.

Cheers,
Emanuel Machado

(*) This is an ilustration intended as ONLY an ilustration. No bias whatsoever
in the SEA/PKWARE case.

--
Emanuel T.M. Machado, CERN     | "Science is true.   | UUCP:
   _                        _  |   Don't be misled   |  emanuel@cernvax.UUCP

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (03/01/89)

In article <77800007@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:
>I am collecting the votes via e-mail.

My attempt to reply by email failed when rutgers claimed that it
didn't know sts.com.   Is there another form of this adddress that
works better?

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (03/02/89)

In article <5889@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
=
=I'm beginning to agree.
=
=Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
=least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
=comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will drop all distribution restrictions on all
=versions of zoo, with the minor exceptions that (a) nothing
=incompatible be created from my code and (b) source be made available
=for any binaries distributed unless I agree otherwise.
=--
=Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
=                    ARPA:  bsu-cs!dhesi@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!

Please count all of these!  :-)

Pete
--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

fritz@friday.UUCP (Fritz Whittington) (03/02/89)

-In article <675@pte.UUCP> car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
->In article <17652@genrad.UUCP>, jpn@genrad.com (John P. Nelson) writes:
->> In article <13229@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
->> >I'm in favor of switching now. arc is not available on UNIX machines,
->I got the source for ARC 5.21 for my System V Release 2 system.
->It wouldn't compile - after a bit of hacking I gave up on it.
->More often than not, the ARC's I get from the net don't work with the version
->of ARC.EXE I have for MSDOS - that's a pain. Maybe I have an older ARC.EXE -
->who knows?
->ZOO, on the other hand, WORKS GREAT on my System V. And, I didn't have to do
->any major back flips to get it working.
->> What MORE do you want?
->Something that works well in BOTH environments.
->Christopher A. Rende           Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek
The important thing to remember in voting for or against this change is
(IMHO) to end up with something that works well in both (really, all)
environments.  Zoo seems to meet these requirements best at the moment.
Nothing prevents you from un-Zooing (oozing?) on your MS-DOS machine and
re-packing the stuff in whatever your favorite, personal-standard MS-DOS
archiver happens to be, costing you only a piece of re-usable temporary
file space.  I find that I have to keep some version of A*C, Zoo, and
PKZIP all on my MS-DOS machine at the moment anyway.  Zoo is the only
one that also works just as well on my UNIX machine.  Seems like win-win
to me.
----
Fritz Whittington                               Texas Instruments, Incorporated
I don't even claim these opinions myself!       MS 3105
UUCP: killer!ernest!friday!fritz                8505 Forest Lane
AT&T: (214)480-6302                             Dallas, Texas  75243

pfeifer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Mark C Pfeifer) (03/02/89)

Why is there a sudden rush to change formats?  This all started when
everyone got to talking about PKZIP, and either trashing or praising it.
Why do we have to change now, when PKZIP is uncertain, instead of waiting
for the program to mature to switch.

I'm sure ZOO is a really good program (judging by the responses, even though
I don't use it myself) - but what if, six months from now, we as a group
realize that SuperNewPakingProgram is the one that we want - you can't
keep switching.

Basically, my vote is one stay with ARC for now, but there's no reason not
to switch when we know more about the contestants.

No flames, please!

							Mark

---------

Pfeifer@vax1.acs.udel.edu

bga@bgalli.eds.com (Billy G. Allie) (03/02/89)

In article <77800007@sts>, roy@sts.sts.com writes:
< Written  8:39 pm  Feb 27, 1989 by dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
<
< Roy Bixler asked me if I might want to switch to using zoo format for
< comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I told him that I would if that's the way users
< wanted to go, and suggested that he ask.  I will happily go with
< whatever the consensus is.
<
< Rahul Dhesi
< End of text from sts:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
<
< I am collecting the votes via e-mail.  So far I've received about 20 - keep
< 'em coming!
<
< Roy Bixler

Since Roy Bixler has agreed to collect the votes,  I think we should set
forth some guidelines for the vote.  A couple of minor points come to mind,
such as:

1.  When will the vote taking period begin.
2.  How long will the vote be taken before a winner is declared.

I propose that the voting last for 1 month, after which time the decision
will be announced.  I also recommend at least a 1 week delay to allow
discussions to take place concerning the pros and cons of the various
archive formats.

I know that Roy has already collected some of the votes, but I feel that
there is a need for the guidelines set before the voting begins.  In other
word, Roy, when will the voting begin and how long will the votes be
taken?
--
____	   | Billy G. Allie	| Internet..: bga@bgalli.eds.com
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126	| Compuserve: 76337,2061

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) (03/03/89)

In article <77800005@sts>, roy@sts.sts.com writes:
> How many people would like to see the archive format in
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc changed from arc to zoo?  The advantage to this
> is now zoo is widely available on Unix systems (just posted on
> comp.sources.unix) and you can now un-arc (un-zoo?)  the "binaries" on
> your host machine, look at the documentation and see if this thing
> that was posted is really worth downloading to the PC.  Also, if

I grabbed Zoo for both Unix and my PC and they work just great.  All
the flags are a bit intimidating for generic PC users but you get the
hang of it really easy.  I have just been converting most of my files
up on the mainframe to zoo format and it saves a lot of space.  On the
PC sometimes the savings doesn't happen, but in that case I just keep
it as an "ARC" (trademark somebody or other!) file.  On a 40Mb hard
disk with about 85% usage I was able to get zoo to release about 1Mb of
space for the files that I keep zoo'd.  Hey 1Mb is 1Mb!  I need all the
space I can get, donations kindly accepted :-) sort of.

Kevin
--
Kevin "Auric" Crocker @Athabasca University {alberta ncc}auvax!kevinc

abcscagz@csuna.csun.edu (Jeff Boeing) (03/03/89)

What about PKARC?

--
Jeff Boeing:  ...!csun.edu!csuna!abcscagz    (formerly tracer@stb.UUCP)
"His brain is gone!"     -- McCoy

zifrony@TAURUS.BITNET (03/03/89)

I vote for staying with ARC format.  I think there are two reasons for it:

1. The ARC format and the programs used to handle it are widespread, and
   have been so for a long time.

2. All the archives, both personal and public are already in ARC format.

3. The wars concerning the usage of the ARC format are none of our business.
   There are working versions of both ARC and PK(X)ARC which are available
   to all people who need to use it, so why bother with these issues.

Doron Zifrony  zifrony@taurus.bitnet  || zifrony@Math.Tau.AC.IL
Msc.  Student
Tel Aviv Univ.
Israel

Disclaimer: I represent no one but myself.

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/03/89)

In article <943@cernvax.UUCP>, emanuel@cernvax.UUCP (emanuel) writes:
}        I'd propose that some benchmarks would be presented on ALL compression
}programs, so that we can have a clearer idea of the implications (moneywise
}too...) of our votes. I'm using ARC, but I'll gladly vote otherwise if I'm
}convinced that the OTHERWISE is better.

Check out COMPRES5.ARC in PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR> on SIMTEL20.  It compares a bunch
of archivers (PKZIP, PKARC, SEA ARC 5.3, PAK, ZOO, DWC, SCRNCH, etc) on
compression speed, decompression speed, and compressed size, using quite a few
file sets, including ASCII-only, binary-only, and mixed.  From memory, PKZIP
consistently comes out on top or near the top on all three measures.  The only
program that consistently beats PKZIP for compressed size is SCRNCH, which is
two orders of magnitude slower (we're talking 3 to 8 HOURS versus one to four
MINUTES with PKZIP -e?4), but compresses only a few percent more.  The only two
programs that consistently come near and occasionally beat PKZIP's speed for
default compression are PKARC and DWC.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (S. John Banner) (03/07/89)

In article <5889@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>Let's you (the Usenet user) and me make a deal.  If you will vote at
>least 2 to 1 in favor of using zoo rather than arc for
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will drop all distribution restrictions on all
>versions of zoo, with the minor exceptions that (a) nothing
>incompatible be created from my code and (b) source be made available
>for any binaries distributed unless I agree otherwise.

You have my vote.  I have been using ZOO, and promoting it as best I
could here, since I first got it, and have had no real complaints.  It
is just too good a program to complain about (compression is not as
good as with other programs, but the added usefulness [directories,
source, etc], far outweigh the difference there in my opinion).

			   sjb.

roy@sts.sts.com (03/07/89)

/* Written  7:39 pm  Mar  1, 1989 by bga@bgalli.UUCP in sts:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */
I know that Roy has already collected some of the votes, but I feel that
there is a need for the guidelines set before the voting begins.  In other
word, Roy, when will the voting begin and how long will the votes be
taken?
--
____	   | Billy G. Allie	| Internet..: bga@bgalli.eds.com
|  /|	   | 7436 Hartwell	| UUCP......: uunet!{mcf|edsews}!bgalli!bga
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126	| Compuserve: 76337,2061
|/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540	| Genie.....: BGALLIE
/* End of text from sts:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */

The voting has just begun and I was thinking more in terms of
taking 3 weeks to collect all the votes and announce the outcome.

I've seen much of the discussion going on and I feel that some of
the objections are easily taken care of:

1) zoo doesn't compress as much as the new ZIP or PAK programs.

That may be true, but there are two convincing reasons to use
zoo instead of ZIP or PAK.  Zoo is quasi-public-domain and portable
and it can be used in many other applications and on many other
machines.  In other words, once you learn it, you can use it on
your Unix system to store source code (preserving the directory
structure and saving space at the same time) and/or to keep IBM/PC
binaries around on the machine of your choice.  These considerations
more than make up for a small savings in space/time.

The other reason is that no money/donation is being asked for to use
zoo and the source code is available for anyone to make improvements
to.  If you think you can make zoo faster or compress better, go ahead ...
This is more in the spirit of Usenet.

2) Zoo isn't available to me.

If the switch to zoo is made, Rahul can post zoo201.exe to comp.binaries.ibm.pc
and the latest zoo source to comp.sources.unix.  That way, everyone will
have a version for the PC and a version they can compile for their local
Unix/VMS system.

pinkas@hobbit.intel.com (Israel Pinkas ~) (03/08/89)

In article <715@itivax.iti.org> dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) writes:

> In article <77800007@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:
> >I am collecting the votes via e-mail.
>
> My attempt to reply by email failed when rutgers claimed that it
> didn't know sts.com.   Is there another form of this adddress that
> works better?

Try @relay.cs.net:roy@sts.sts.com or roy%sts.sts.com@relay.cs.net.

-Israel
--
--------------------------------------
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@cadev4.intel.com

jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) (03/08/89)

In article <77800010@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:
>1) zoo doesn't compress as much as the new ZIP or PAK programs.
>The other reason is that no money/donation is being asked for to use
>zoo and the source code is available for anyone to make improvements
>to.  If you think you can make zoo faster or compress better, go ahead ...

Alas, you aren't allowed to.  A better compression scheme would probably
be incompatible (old versions wouldn't be able to decode it) and so would
be disallowed by Rahul's license agreement.

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (03/08/89)

In article <77800010@sts>, roy@sts.sts.com writes:
.>
.> I've seen much of the discussion going on and I feel that some of
.> the objections are easily taken care of:
.>
.> 1) zoo doesn't compress as much as the new ZIP or PAK programs.
.>
.> That may be true, but there are two convincing reasons to use
.> zoo instead of ZIP or PAK.  Zoo is quasi-public-domain and portable
.> and it can be used in many other applications and on many other
.> machines.  In other words, once you learn it, you can use it on
.> your Unix system to store source code (preserving the directory
.> structure and saving space at the same time) and/or to keep IBM/PC
.> binaries around on the machine of your choice.  These considerations
.> more than make up for a small savings in space/time.
.> Roy Bixler                   | UUCP: ...!{claris,sun}!sts!roy

Does anyone know if source for ZIP will be made available for
UNIX?

If it is to be made available, it should be noted that many, if
not most, BBS in the country are rapidly shifting over to ZIP.
Using ZOO on Usenet will then guarantee that many of us will
have to deal with two archiving systems.

Forrest Gehrke

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/08/89)

I'm sorry to post this, but I cannot seem to reach Roy via email.

"Yes" on Zoo.

The required commercial use license for the other contenders is too much
of a pain when Zoo has no such restrictions.  And Zoo does seem to work without
any bugs.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (03/09/89)

In article <905@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jbrown@jato.UUCP (Jordan Brown) writes:
>In article <77800010@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:
>>1) zoo doesn't compress as much as the new ZIP or PAK programs.
>>The other reason is that no money/donation is being asked for to use
>>zoo and the source code is available for anyone to make improvements
>>to.  If you think you can make zoo faster or compress better, go ahead ...
>
>Alas, you aren't allowed to.  A better compression scheme would probably
>be incompatible (old versions wouldn't be able to decode it) and so would
>be disallowed by Rahul's license agreement.

Alas, someone has got to the real issue that makes me feel very cautious
about any change in archivers now, especially to zoo.  While zoo is in
many ways superior to arc and pkpak, I can't see its technological
superiority over zip or perhaps some of the others.

On the other hand, there are dimensions of 'superiority.'  In terms of
portibility, the consensus is that zoo is far superior, at the moment.
Zip could come on strong once someone who knows how ports it over.

So, in my mind, one of the liabilities of zoo *is* that portibility and
guarantee that the present version will always accomodate 'zoos' created
with earlier versions.  Technological stagnation seems inevitable.  The
rush to zoo thus seems odd, since generally technical stagnation is not
tolerated.

--
Frank Burleigh  burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!silver!burleigh BITNET: BURLEIGH@IUBACS.BITNET

roy@sts.sts.com (03/09/89)

/* Written 12:48 pm  Mar  7, 1989 by pinkas@mipos3.UUCP in sts:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */
In article <715@itivax.iti.org> dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) writes:

> In article <77800007@sts> roy@sts.sts.com writes:
> >I am collecting the votes via e-mail.
>
> My attempt to reply by email failed when rutgers claimed that it
> didn't know sts.com.   Is there another form of this adddress that
> works better?

Try @relay.cs.net:roy@sts.sts.com or roy%sts.sts.com@relay.cs.net.

-Israel
--
--------------------------------------
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent
the opinions of Intel Corporation.  In no way should the above be taken
to be a statement of Intel.

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@cadev4.intel.com
/* End of text from sts:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */

It appears as if our news system thinks we're in the .com domain.  I will
probably have to re-compile it, because we're really just in .uucp domain.

campbell@hpbsla.HP.COM (gary campbell) (03/10/89)

>Let me also ask whether work is going on to adapt zoo to be the friendly
>multi-floppy compressing backup/restore program the world needs?

I would like to use one primary archiver.  I would like the ability to
do compressed backups of my system.  That means that I want to see an
archiver with the ability to store subdirectories and to do multi-floppy
archives.  Until now, Zoo seems to come closest to this.  This morning
is the first I've heard that PKWare's new program is available, so I
don't know anything about it, but I remember reading somewhere that it
would support multi-floppy archives.  Could an option be added to Zoo to
allow either the ability to switch to a new floppy when the current one
is full, or to allow specification of a maximum archive size and to
continue on making a new archive file?  The latter approach would allow
easy generation of archives on UNIX which could be sized for transfer to
floppies.  With this change, I think that Zoo would meet my backup and
archiving needs.

I agree that a freeware archiver makes sense for a free distribution
group.  I appreciate Rahul's efforts not to force the decision in favor
of his program.  I also think that since he has to do a lot of work to
provide this service, and that since he is volunteering this effort,
that what is easiest for him is worth noting, although it wouldn't be
appropriate to switch standards every time we switch moderators.
Therefore, I think that which tool is easiest for the moderator is also
worth considering.

--
Gary Campbell
campbell%hpbsla@hplabs.HP.COM