[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Maxi-Form

spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (02/24/89)

I just downloaded Maxi-Form from c.b.i.p. Unfortunately, it doesn't
work. It manages to format 800K disks on my PS/2-30, but those disks
don't work properly. When I tried to copy things onto them I got a
"sector not found" error. Not very encouraging, I don't think I will
trust my data to this program.

At this point I would highly recommend AGAINST using this program.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
 This is my opinion. It does not represent Yale University in any way,
			    shape or form.

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (02/24/89)

In article <51610@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU
(Joel Spolsky) writes:
>I just downloaded Maxi-Form from c.b.i.p. Unfortunately, it doesn't
>work. It manages to format 800K disks on my PS/2-30, but those disks
>don't work properly. When I tried to copy things onto them I got a
>"sector not found" error. Not very encouraging, I don't think I will
>trust my data to this program.
>
>At this point I would highly recommend AGAINST using this program.
I would mention (subject to the usual disclaimers) that the documentation
mentions that this may occur, and with registration of the program that
they would send an additional program which is supposed to clear up this
problem on machines which experience this.  I think that's what they said,
at least.  I deleted my copy after I found out it was for DOS 3.2 and up, and
I'm using 3.1...
Andy Silverman
Internet: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
CompuServe: 72261,531

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (02/24/89)

In article <51610@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>I just downloaded Maxi-Form from c.b.i.p. Unfortunately, it doesn't
>work. It manages to format 800K disks on my PS/2-30, but those disks
>don't work properly. When I tried to copy things onto them I got a
>"sector not found" error. Not very encouraging, I don't think I will
>trust my data to this program.
>
>At this point I would highly recommend AGAINST using this program.

The reason you had trouble is that the archive that was posted was not
complete.  There is another file called SMAX.COM, which is a TSR to
correct for the problem you mentioned.  The author supplies this file in
the original distribution.  Apprently whoever put that archive together
didn't know about that.

The program makes patches to the running operating system in RAM in
order to allow for the larger diskette format.  I've tried it and it
does work but it seems to get confused if you insert a regular 360K
diskette after reading one of the diskettes with the special format.
I wasn't able to determine just what the pattern of events was that
caused this but after having intermittant problems reading some
diskettes I gave up on MAXI.

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]

sms@ficc.uu.net (Stanley M. Sutton) (02/24/89)

Maxi appears to do the same thing (i.e., not work when files are
copied to the formatted disk) with the 5.25HD disks.  We're using
MS-DOS 3.31 on a 8/12 Mhz AT clone.
--
Stanley M. Sutton, Service &T, Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!sms,     sms@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5023

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (03/01/89)

Here is the missing file SMAX.COM for use with MAXI-151.  I put it
into an ARC so you can be sure you got a good copy.  See MAXI.DOC in
the originally posted MAXI-151.ARC for details on its use.

begin 644 maxismax.arc
M&@A334%8+D-/30!>7EY>[@$``%,1#V7%'H`"```,Z2(!:!($2Q(01M[(:0-"
M2)(G4T!`"4-G#!H0(.S$<`$#(P@>8WR`B)$#!PX02,K(<5,&!!&*84!,R3.'
M3IDV<T`PH4/&10,%"C1H`$`4`!1.'@PX..#@`R!^`N1P>*J`#HBG"^AL>.J`
MCH6G#^A$>$K@SH!U"B`!./"A$Q87_UP4"8"+J"-@)D+I`6!BD0T\`.["HF`"
M$1$"Z[ZIS444'1H`N@8$R`4$`#H[`.Y9`!!@QC9&R(;L&.9H6)VS'M3ZXKS(
M7RX(`.:96I"L#CI=\@3DN@!`+3HF`.HR:18"UX0:Q!-YF,O(P)$`NI+0G5""
MN"X1NJ'UMHP"0"@6@8'12F*]<MT8Q*/0.@`+P*T#LI[8PM`,`JT'];70$E!_
M&"T@NP0``''#`/"3`E2@D49.<,CQQAERA,'0@B#4,4<99(!`QQL@P$&111JB
MT9)#$(%`QH)K@!#&&&.4,4=.#M9!1QHLS?&3&0J!,,<;;8SX4$1AN)$A$27:
MH=(<:;SA1DX;JL@&&V_<`0)!!B&D$$-EN(%&D"UF.$88'HZ1!AUY_$1D1"?.
ML0:3'(K1DH48NH!10G)4>"$(=XQY$94'T<F0D7(@J>1(+M2@HI`@L$&12B`H
>R48>+@!U8!!LR%%&&&3D`0*--87Q)(8''M@;'1H`
`
end

--

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (03/02/89)

In article <whatever> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
| Here is the missing file SMAX.COM for use with MAXI-151.  I put it
| into an ARC so you can be sure you got a good copy.  See MAXI.DOC in
| the originally posted MAXI-151.ARC for details on its use.

No offense, but you'd have to be crazy to trust this program.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

chaplin@canisius.UUCP (Andrew Chaplin) (03/09/89)

In article <KPETERSEN.12474479150.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
> Here is the missing file SMAX.COM for use with MAXI-151.  I put it
(other stuff removed)
> Keith Petersen
> Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]
> DDN: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
> Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

Thanks for the file.  Whoever posted the original maxi-151, PLEASE
make sure when you post an arc'd file it is the COMPLETE archive.  I
hate it when I don't what the documentation says I should get, and
I'm sure a lot of other people agree with me.

Once again, thanks KP.

Oh, it works for me.
...ac

cb@cci632.UUCP (Curtis Braun) (03/13/89)

In article <2332@canisius.UUCP> you write:

>Oh, it works for me.
>...ac
I'm sorry it doesn't always work for me. At least not to transfer
floppies between different systems. I suspect that this program uses
a similiar method to pctools backup utility. Be aware that changes
in OS and Hardware affect this method. Good luck

Curtis ( !rochester!kodak!n2hkd!curtis )