[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] SIMTEL20 went suddenly silent....

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (03/11/89)

Has anyone else experienced the sudden silence of the TRICKLE server at
SIMTEL20?  For a long time, I never had been able to get access to it.
When I registered a domain name, I still couldn't get access to it.  Then
about a month or so ago, suddenly, it began responding.  I could query the
system with no problems or long time delays.  It was picking off my
domain address and succeeding in finding a return path.

Well, about a week and a half ago, it suddenly went silent again.  I have
not seen FTPers complaining about it being down, etc., so I assume something
has happened to the LISTSERV software (somewhat), or the gateway between
BITNET and the Internet network my forwarder is on (CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU?), or at my
forwarder, or I don't know.  I am still receiving postings to the mailling
list I subscribed via the LISTSERV facilities, and some other BITNET people.
They are referencing my domain name.  So I am stumped!

Any ideas?  Keith?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (03/12/89)

SIMTEL20 does *not* run the netmail file server.  Complaints and
questions about LISTSERV should go to FISHER@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU if you're
using Arpanet addressing or FISHER@RPICICGE if you are on BITNET.

Our display of users (FINGER) shows the server *is* accessing SIMTEL20
with FTP, getting the files that are requested of it via netmail.

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (03/14/89)

In article <9839@smoke.BRL.MIL>, w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) writes:
> SIMTEL20 does *not* run the netmail file server.  Complaints and
> questions about LISTSERV should go to FISHER@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU if you're
> using Arpanet addressing or FISHER@RPICICGE if you are on BITNET.

I see.  Sorry for my misunderstanding.  Shows how much I know about
BITNET and its servers.  :-)  I understand what LISTSERV is doing now.

Thanks for pointing me straight.

Mark.