[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Bug fix for PC Gawk 2.02

kwok@iris.ucdavis.edu (Conrad Kwok) (03/11/89)

John B. Thiel (jbthiel@ogccse.ogc.edu) in his article writes:

>    Three possible bugs I have noticed in 2.02 beta port of Gawk to IBMPC
> recently posted to binaries:
>
> 1) The '+' regular expression operator does not seem to work.
>
>    Ex: Given a data input file containing lines
> 	1aa1
> 	2bb2
> 	1aa2
> 	1aa1
>
>        The pattern/action command:
> 	  /1a+1/ {print}
>        does not work (nothing prints), whereas equivalent
> 	  /1aa*1/ {print}
>        works as expected (two lines printed).

This problem is now fixed. I didn't make any changes to the source
codes. The only change I made is to  re-compile regex.c with -Oa
OFF (i.e. -Oilt -Gs instead of -Ox) and link the program again.
The program also works when I compile the whole program in small
model (the version I am using). So I assume there is at least a
optimization bug in MSC 5.1 but I don't have time to track down
the problem.

The fixes to the other two bugs are posted about 2 weeks ago by
Scott Garfinkle (smsdpg!seg@uunet.uu.net) in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.

The new merged diff file, the new makefile and the new executable
are now available for anonymous ftp in
clover.ucdavis.edu[128.120.57.1]:pub/gawk202e.arc. I shall try to
put this version on simtel20. Please don't ask me to mail it to
you. I am too busy to do it right now.

--Conrad

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (03/14/89)

According to kwok@iris.ucdavis.edu (Conrad Kwok):
>[John B. Thiel (jbthiel@ogccse.ogc.edu) in his article writes about a
> bug in Gawk 2.02 for the IBM PC.]
>
>This problem is now fixed. I didn't make any changes to the source
>codes. The only change I made is to  re-compile regex.c with -Oa
>OFF (i.e. -Oilt -Gs instead of -Ox) and link the program again.

A warning to all users of Microsoft C:

If you want your program to work, don't use -Ox.  This flag causes the
compiler to make unwarranted assumptions about aliasing.  I'm surprised the
flag even exists.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!