[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help! Having problems with FTPed files.

ssdesai@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Sunil S. Desai) (03/13/89)

I am having problems using FTPed files on my PC.  I open FTP connection,
login, type BINARY and then get the file.

For example I got THUMPER.GIF file.  Received 2,432 bytes.  Used Kermit to
download the file to my PC.  The size is now 2,438 bytes (!).  When I use
VGIF v3.6 to view the file I get few horizontal lines showing Thumper.
And then the pc freezes.  When I hit ESCAPE, I get a two line error message:
     BAD CODE IN FILE
     FILE ERROR

I am also having problems with ARC files.  I FTPed ZIP121.ARC file.  When I
used PKXARC v3.5 to extract, I got a message "ZIP121.ARC IS NOT AN ARCHIVE".

With some other ARC files, I have received error message "AN ENTRY IN xxx.ARC
HAS A BAD HEADER.  xxx BYTES SKIPPED".  And the resulting extracted file is
garbage.

Anyone has any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Please E-Mail your replies.

Thanks in advance.

Sunil    ssdesai@elbereth.rutgers.edu
~~~~~

wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/14/89)

In article <Mar.13.10.31.06.1989.20495@elbereth.rutgers.edu> ssdesai@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Sunil S. Desai) writes:
>I am having problems using FTPed files on my PC.  I open FTP connection,
>login, type BINARY and then get the file.

I believe it depends on what system you are ftp'ing file from. If you are
getting binary files (i.e. *.arc, *.zoo, *.Z, etc.) from SIMTEL20,
you are supposed to use TENEX mode, not BINARY mode.

The symptoms you are describing (not quoted) are consistent with that
sort of error.
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

wnr@otter.hpl.hp.com (Nigel Rea) (03/14/89)

Hi there,
         If you are downloading the files from simtel 20, then the data type
is not binary - use "tenex" instead. Simtel20 uses a strange machine with 36
bit words.

Have fun
......Nigel

manager@a.coe.wvu.wvnet.edu (Cris Fuhrman, Systems Manager) (03/16/89)

In article <7531@killer.Dallas.TX.US>, wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
> In article <Mar.13.10.31.06.1989.20495@elbereth.rutgers.edu> ssdesai@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Sunil S. Desai) writes:
>>I am having problems using FTPed files on my PC.  I open FTP connection,
>>login, type BINARY and then get the file.
>
> I believe it depends on what system you are ftp'ing file from. If you are
> getting binary files (i.e. *.arc, *.zoo, *.Z, etc.) from SIMTEL20,
> you are supposed to use TENEX mode, not BINARY mode.
>
> The symptoms you are describing (not quoted) are consistent with that
> sort of error.
> --

Also, there is sometimes a subtle distiction between FIXED and BINARY for
file types in KERMIT.  For example, if you're downloading your binary files
from a VMS system using Kermit, it's better to have the file type set to
FIXED rather than BINARY.  FIXED implies 512-byte fixed length records
which is how some FTP programs write TENEX or BINARY files.

I've successfully downloaded SIMTEL20 .arc files from VMS, UNIX (BSD &
SYSV), as well as a VM machine.  If you need help, you can contact me
directly for more info.

-Cris
--
  /''''--''''''''''''''''.  Cris Fuhrman, Systems Manager''''''''''''''/
 /    /  \               .  WVU College of Engineering                /