[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] A program called 'SED.COM' isn't what it seems!

ugpolvin@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph Polvino) (03/14/89)

I have a program that was given to me named 'SED.COM'  It does not perform like
the UNIX sed command, but rather recalls previous commands to DOS by hitting
the up- and down-arrow keys.  It also allows one to edit previous entries with
left- and right-cursor keys as well as the INSERT nad DELETE keys.  Real good.

The question I have is:  I felt the program took command line qualifiers.  It
responds to  > SED (letter)  with a message like "SED: Illegal command" or
something like that.  Does anyone else know about this program, and maybe some
of the commands it takes?

Thanks much for all your help in advance!

- Joe

////  Joe Polvino                               /
///  net: ugpolvin@cs.buffalo.edu              //
//  bitnet: v058p7wh@ubvms                    ///
/  "Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?" ////

ttp@beta.lanl.gov (T T Phillips) (03/15/89)

In article <4689@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, ugpolvin@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph Polvino) writes:

> I have a program that was given to me named 'SED.COM'  It does not perform like
> the UNIX sed command, but rather recalls previous commands to DOS by hitting
> the up- and down-arrow keys.

This program sounds a lot like CED, a command editor that is
available as shareware.  You can find it on Simtel and many
BBS's.  Yes--it is a very nice program.

Terry Phillips
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ttp@beta.lanl.gov

andrew@dgbt.uucp (Andrew Patrick) (03/21/89)

writes:

>I have a program that was given to me named 'SED.COM'  It does not perform like
>the UNIX sed command, but rather recalls previous commands to DOS by hitting
>the up- and down-arrow keys.  It also allows one to edit previous entries with
>left- and right-cursor keys as well as the INSERT nad DELETE keys.  Real good.

This sounds an awful lot like CED, a PD command line editor.  There
are a number of switches and a parameter file that can be specified on
the command line.  I am not sure what these are since I now use PCED,
the commercial version of CED.  If you can't find the docs, drop me a
note and I'll dig around.

P.S. Follow-ups are directed to comp.sys.ibm.pc where they belong.
This group is for the discussion of posted binaries.

Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.         Communications Research Centre
  (613) 990-4675              Dept. of Communications, Canada

...utzoo!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!dgbt!andrew
UUCP or INTERNET: andrew@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca        BITNET: andrew@doccrc