[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Frustrated with logon into SIMTEL? Ever want to get around?

deng@shire (Mingqi Deng) (03/18/89)

In article <16714@cisunx.UUCP> pdccs@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Patrick Champion) writes:

>	When does simtel ever slow down?  It seems that everytime I log on
>that there are too many anonymous users on and I get thrown off.  Some feeding
>frenzy!

Frustrated as you have been, I modified the anto-ftp program availabe
at SIMTEL so that it will try SIMTEL every 60 seconds until it gets a
file I want. It does that automatically. Now, I almost forget when was
the last time I had ever have to face the infamous message 'too many
anonymous logins, try again later.'

The program runs on Bourne shell of UNIX. It will be availble at SIMTEL
in few weeks. But if you are interested, I can mail you the shell
archive (18K bytes) or post it to the net if there are enough interests.

Mingqi

goes@oregon.uoregon.edu (03/21/89)

--
And you're proud of this?? It seems to me this would just aggravate the problem
folks are having getting on to SIMTEL.  This network equivalent of

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (03/22/89)

In article <4380@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> deng@shire (Mingqi Deng) writes:
>I modified the anto-ftp program availabe
>at SIMTEL [...]

>But if you are interested, I can mail you the shell
>archive (18K bytes) or post it to the net if there are enough interests.

>Mingqi

Please post it.

cnee@thor.UUCP (Cheng-Lee Nee) (03/24/89)

From article <854@itivax.iti.org>, by dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West):
> In article <4380@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> deng@shire (Mingqi Deng) writes:
>>I modified the anto-ftp program availabe
>>at SIMTEL [...]
>
>>But if you are interested, I can mail you the shell
>>archive (18K bytes) or post it to the net if there are enough interests.
>
>>Mingqi
>
> Please post it.
Yes, please post it. I think alot people would like to have it.