[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Pkzip virus

brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets) (03/30/89)

From sequent!tektronix!uunet!lll-winken!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!bionet!ig!ames!oliveb!pyramid!prls!philabs!briar.philips.com!rfc Wed Mar 29 08:50:42 PST 1989
Article 1930 of rec.ham-radio.packet:
>From: rfc@briar.philips.com (Robert Casey;6282;3.57;$0201)
Newsgroups: rec.ham-radio,rec.ham-radio.packet
Subject: virus in PKARC software
Date: 27 Mar 89 14:34:24 GMT
Sender: news@philabs.Philips.Com

copied from packet:
Date: 25 Mar 89 03:56:53 UTC (Sat)
>From: wa2sqq@kd6th.nj.usa.hamradio (BOB        )

		    WARNING ! WARNING ! WARNING !

>From:    WA2SQQ Bob Kozlarek
Subject: Software Virus
	PKZIP/PKUNZIP .92
	 AM40/AM41

Recent  developments  in the software world  have required  the famous
PKARC  software to be replaced by a  new version  called
PKZIP/PKUNZIP.

While  several versions have been seen, the latest appears to be
version .92 .  Usually listed on landline BBS's is a program which will
provide a menu driven screen for PKZIP, usually listed  as AM-40 or
AM-41.

After running these one time, the embedded virus allocated 13 meg of
memory to "never never land". It appears that  this "strain" looks to
see  how much memory is occupied on the HD  and then proceeds  to
gobble  up an equal amount of unused  memory.  The results  are
devastating if you have more than 50% of the  drives capacity in use.
With  the assistance of Gary WA2BAU I was able to retrieve  the lost
memory by using CHKDSK /f.  For those of you who are not familiar with
this DOS command, drop me a line @KD6TH and I'll elaborate.  My sincere
thanks goes out to Gary WA2BAU for saving me lots  of disk handling !
Please pass this on to your local BBS and be sure to include  the
remedy.

    Best 73 de WA2SQQ
    Bob Kozlarek
    @KD6TH in Wycoff,
    NJ

copied from rec.ham-radio

--
Brian Sheets KA7KDX                                 "I'll be back"
19730 SW Prospect Ln.