[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Pkzip virus, NOT REAL

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (03/30/89)

The report is a little muddled.  It turns out that there is a bug in
AM-40 or AM-41, a menu program for PKZIP that is NOT written or
distributed by PKWARE.  PKZ092 contains no major bugs (so far).

THIS IS NOT A VIRUS!

Keith Peterson had a good explanation for the problem, but I neglected
to save it.  Keith?

Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604; P.O. Box 5063   that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) (03/31/89)

In article <Mar.29.23.09.18.1989.17172@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:

>THIS IS NOT A VIRUS!

I don't know about you people, but when I downloaded pkzip 092 and played
with it for a while, it sure as hell made my hard disk crash!!!!!
I had to reformat the sucker!!!!!!

--                MAD  MAX

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (04/02/89)

In article <22432@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
>In article <Mar.29.23.09.18.1989.17172@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>
>>THIS IS NOT A VIRUS!
>
>I don't know about you people, but when I downloaded pkzip 092 and played
>with it for a while, it sure as hell made my hard disk crash!!!!!

Fine, but that doesn't make it a virus.

Too many people cheapen the language by grabbing a stylish buzzword
and using it to mean ANYTHING!  That has happened with "virus"!

Since the news media picked up on the "Internet Virus" (which was not
quite a true software virus, but close) some people are using the
term "virus" for every program that behaves other than they expect.
Please stop.

In the past month, on this net, I have seen the term "virus" applied to:

   -	Ordinary (albeit severe) bugs, like the one noted above.
	If it misfunctions and trashes your hoard disk, it's a
	bug, not a virus.

   -	Nasty but not-self-propagating programs.
	If it deliberately trashes your hard disk, but doen't self-propagate,
	it's not a virus.

   -	A utility program that does its record-keeping in unadvertised
	hidden directories.  Doesn't self-propagate? STILL not a virus.

The terms "virus" and "worm" are distinct, but both require the ability
of the program to propagate itself.  A simple bug or trojan horse isn't
a virus.  Now, could someone who really knows please critique my
understanding of the terms:
   WORM: A program that replicates itself in one or more machines, though
	the interesting case is the worm that finds other attached
	machines and makes copies of itself on them.  It propagates
	by running itself on the new machine, looking for other
	attached machines.
   VIRUS: A program that attaches itself to other programs and hides in
	them, propagating to other machines as the "host" program is
	deliberately moved to those machines.  It propagates by finding
	programs in each machine, to which it attaches itself.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

jms@hcx.uucp (Michael Stanley) (04/02/89)

In article <1459@mtunb.ATT.COM>, dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:

> Too many people cheapen the language by grabbing a stylish buzzword
> and using it to mean ANYTHING!  That has happened with "virus"!
>
> Since the news media picked up on the "Internet Virus" (which was not
> quite a true software virus, but close) some people are using the
> term "virus" for every program that behaves other than they expect.
> Please stop.

Remember when this happened to the word 'hackers'.  I can remember when
the term hacker applied to anyone who like to write/tinker-with software
as a hobby.  Then the media picked up on those computer users who broke
into other systems, but they didn't know what to call them.  Somewhere
they heard the term hacker (no doubt many of these computer mis-users
actually WERE hackers, and the name began to take on a new meaning.  At
least this is my understanding of what happened.  Its all part of how the
news today has become more geared toward sensationalism and less geared
to actually presenting important information on the world around us.  The
sad thing is that we can't do a lot about it.  So I hope it doesn't happen,
but the word virus MAY be corrupted also (who knows).

You know?  Its getting to the point where I only watch the MacNeil, Lehrer
Newshour on public television these days (at least for news information).
CNN doesn't seem to bad depending on the time of day and which programs
they are showing.  Oh well, thats the way things are, so we might as well
get used to it.

	Michael Stanley		(...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!jms@hcx)