[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Part-count

yedidya@bimacs.BITNET (Yedidya Israel) (04/05/89)

In article <6485@bsu-cs.UUCP> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>Checksum: 1974351523  (Verify with "brik -cv")
>Posting-number: Volume 02, Issue 029
>Originally-from: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
>Submitted-by: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
>Archive-name: inter189/part01
>Can-delete: interrup/part0[1-6] (in volume 1)
>Part-count: total=06, first=01, last=06, prefix=part
>
>[ The Part-count: header is an experimental addition.  It is added to
>the first part of a multipart posting.  Total=total no. of parts,
>first=no. of first part (usually 00 or 01), last=no. of last part, and
>prefix=prefix string which when concatenated with part number gives you
>the filename.  This is an experiment that may or may not become
>permanent.  Suggestions are welcome.  -- R.D ]

I wrote a shell script that automatically saves comp.binaries.ibm.pc
postings, combine, uudecode and unarc them. This (dirty) script can be
operated manually from rn or system-wide by the news system (a simple
line in sys file will do the whole work for you). The information that
I need is retrieved only from the subject line (with sed scripts). E.g.

Subject: v02i029: inter189, ibm & msdos interrupt list v89.1 (part 01/06)
                      |                                            |  |
                name of package                             this part |

                                                                    total

The suggested "Part-count" is redundant. It contains the information
we already have unless it solves the next problem I faced.

Music Box came in three packages: sources, docs and exe whereas all of
them had the same "name of package" so my shell did not distinguish
between them. If this will be changed in the subject line or in the
suggested "Part-count:" "prefix=" clause this will be fine.

Of course I can write a more powerful sed script to parse the subject
line and find the distinction but this is not the optimal solution (I
admit I did some more dirty things there)

Note: I'll free the shell script to PD after it will work well so do
not float me with mails, just let me know if there is already such a
program.
| Israel Yedidya, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan U, Ramat-Gan, ISRAEL |
| BITNET:   yedidya@bimacs                        +----------------+  |
| INTERNET: yedidya@bimacs.biu.ac.il               \               |  |
| ARPA:     yedidya%bimacs.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu  /               |  |
| UUCP:     ...!uunet!mcvax!humus!bimacs!yedidya  +----------------+  |