[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PC Vaccination programs

kevin@perle.UUCP (Kevin Pickard) (04/05/89)

     Anyone out there have any experience  with  vaccination
programs  for IBM Compatible PCs?  In particular, I am look-
ing for something that  can  detect  modified  or  corrupted
files  on a system that may have been infected with a virus.
It would also be nice if the program could detect corruption
as it happens (maybe as a TSR).

     So far, I have seen the following programs:

Antidote

     This program is from Quaid Software here in Toronto and
     it  does  a pretty good job.  It computes a CRC for the
     specified files and  writes  this  information  out  to
     disk.   When run again in "examine" mode, it recomputes
     the checksums  and  compares  them  with  the  recorded
     values.  Any differences are flagged.

FILECRC

     This program is from USENET.  It also  computes  check-
     sums  and  records  them  to  disk.  A separate program
     called COMPARE must then be run to  verify  the  check-
     sums.  Again differences are flagged.

     Both of these programs use a CRC  method  for  catching
modified  files.   The program "Antidote" appears faster and
has a cleaner user interface.  It only uses one program  and
maintains  a  single  file.   It  also allows you to specify
which files you want to monitor.

     The program "FILECRC" appears slower and needs a second
program  called  "COMPARE"  to  verify  the files.  The user
interface is cruder.  It has the advantage of detecting more
types  of  differences though.  For example, it also detects
file access date/time changes.  With  this  though  it  also
creates more output files (about 5 if I remember).

     Unfortunately, both of these programs can be fooled  by
a  virus  that  knows what CRC is being used.  Programs that
can vary their method  of  CRC  computation  would  be  more
robust.

     If anyone has used any of these programs  or  knows  of
something  similar  I  would appreciate hearing from you.  I
will summarize any information I receive.
--
------------------------------ ~~~~~~~ ---------------------------------------
 Step 5: After filling needle | o   o |     Kevin Pickard

ejb@think.COM (Erik Bailey) (04/06/89)

I can vounch for FluShot+. The author (who I know personally) is
Ross Greenberg, who until recently was Sysop of PC MagNet. The
current version is (I believe) v1.51, and can be downloaded from
the author's bulletin board at (212) 889-6438.

FluShot was one of the first anti-virus programs, and is probably
the best shareware one ($10) -- it's better than most commercial
ones (who would pay eighty bucks for something of this genre???).
Highly recommended.

--Erik

Erik Bailey     | CompuServe | 7 Oak Knoll         | (ARPA/USENET courtesy of
ejb@think.UUCP  |  PCMagNet  | Arlington, MA 02174 | Thinking Machines Corp.,
ejb@think.com   | 72241,105  | (617) 643-0732      | First St, Cambridge, MA)
do headache -> take 1 aspirin od "This terminates one way or another" -Dijkstra

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (04/07/89)

I am very happy with CHECKUP 2.1, which I got from SIMTEL20.arpa.  It is
shareware, but you need pay only if you are a commercial organization.
Otherwise you are able to register for free.  It calculates CRC's using
several different algorithms, so any virus that might be able to make a
program pass all the CRC checks through character padding, etc. would also
make the program not run.

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 Internet - hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) (04/07/89)

In article <552@perle.UUCP> kevin@perle.UUCP (Kevin Pickard) writes:
>     Anyone out there have any experience  with  vaccination
>programs  for IBM Compatible PCs?
The best one I've seen is Flushot+.  Even though it is shareware,
it is pretty infallible (sp?).  I have tried a few things myself,
but the program catches them.  (see below)

>                                   In particular, I am look-
>ing for something that  can  detect  modified  or  corrupted
>files  on a system that may have been infected with a virus.
It will check any files you specify (tipically executables)
any time you run them, using CRC.

>It would also be nice if the program could detect corruption
>as it happens (maybe as a TSR).
It will keep a log of what interrupts are taken by what program,
and pop-up a window saying so if it is not a program you have OKed.
Once the window is up, you can stop or continue the execution of the
suspect program.  A similar window will pop-up any time the suspect
program tries to write directly to disk unsing INT 25 (for HDs) or
13 (floppies.)

>     Unfortunately, both of these programs
[Quaid Software's Antidote and FILERC from usenet]
>                                           can be fooled  by
>a  virus  that  knows what CRC is being used.  Programs that
>can vary their method  of  CRC  computation  would  be  more
>robust.
I am not sure if Flushot does this or not, but it also checks the
size of the file, which is bound to be changed with the introduction
of a virus.

I tried writing a couple of programs to see how I could trick flushot,
and get control of the machine, and I succeeded, but I ended up not
being able to do any disk writing without Flushot knowing about it.
It traps all the critical (potentially dangerous) interrupts very well.

I highly recommend this program.  Its documentation is _very_ complete
and gives you a good insight about viruses and worms too.

					Dani.
--