[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Virus vs. shareware freeloaders

marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) (03/31/89)

From article <4251@alvin.mcnc.org>, by felstein@mcnc.org (Bruce M. Felstein):
> .... If you didn't
> bother to read the docs you might specify your root directory to use
> for this function and after ARCMASTER was done, it would automatically
> erase all files in that directory.

ARCMASTER may have set it up that way to get even with people who
don't read the docs so they won't see the shareware notices. :-)

Not what I would call ``user-friendly.'' :-(

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!homxc!marty

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
            explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (04/02/89)

In article <1308@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
>Not what I would call ``user-friendly.'' :-(

Back when I worked at a small company in Phoenix, Az, we had a saying:

	"Boy, that takes the definition of 'user hostile' to new heights!"

(We found ourselves saying that very often with respect to OS9, but
that is another story altogether, for a different newsgroup!)

---------- #include "quote.cute"
Rusty Carruth  UUCP:{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Daisy/Cadnetix Corp. (303) 444-8075\  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (04/09/89)

In article <1308@hounx.ATT.COM>, marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:

 >ARCMASTER may have set it up that way to get even with people who
 >don't read the docs so they won't see the shareware notices. :-)

Actually, you'd have trouble missing the shareware notice.  The unregistered
version requires you to input a number each time you run it.  The
number even changes every time, to keep somebody from using KEY-FAKE or
a similar program to outsmart it.  I understand the registered version
doesn't have this "bug".

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP          : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us