> From: rfc@briar.philips.com (Robert Casey;6282;3.57;$0201)
> Newsgroups: rec.ham-radio,rec.ham-radio.packet
> Subject: virus in PKARC software
> Date: 27 Mar 89 14:34:24 GMT
> Sender: news@philabs.Philips.Com

copied from packet:
Date: 25 Mar 89 03:56:53 UTC (Sat)
From: wa2sqq@kd6th.nj.usa.hamradio (BOB        )

		    WARNING ! WARNING ! WARNING !

From:    WA2SQQ Bob Kozlarek
Subject: Software Virus
	PKZIP/PKUNZIP .92
	 AM40/AM41

Recent  developments  in the software world  have required  the famous
PKARC  software to be replaced by a  new version  called
PKZIP/PKUNZIP.

While  several versions have been seen, the latest appears to be
version .92 .  Usually listed on landline BBS's is a program which will
provide a menu driven screen for PKZIP, usually listed  as AM-40 or
AM-41.

After running these one time, the embedded virus allocated 13 meg of
memory to "never never land". It appears that  this "strain" looks to
see  how much memory is occupied on the HD  and then proceeds  to
gobble  up an equal amount of unused  memory.  The results  are
devastating if you have more than 50% of the  drives capacity in use.
With  the assistance of Gary WA2BAU I was able to retrieve  the lost
memory by using CHKDSK /f.  For those of you who are not familiar with
this DOS command, drop me a line @KD6TH and I'll elaborate.  My sincere
thanks goes out to Gary WA2BAU for saving me lots  of disk handling !
Please pass this on to your local BBS and be sure to include  the
remedy.

    Best 73 de WA2SQQ
    Bob Kozlarek
    @KD6TH in Wycoff,
    NJ

This is very, very unlikely to be a virus.  Just another novice user...
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
If you can, help others.  If you can't,       |        Leftoid and proud of it

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (03/30/89)

This is the real story.  PKWare is NOT involved.  Arc Master has been
updated to fix the bug.  ARCM422.ARC will be available later today in
Simtel20's pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr> directory.

[From file ARCMWARN.TXT/ARCMWARN.ARC]

2/25/89 - ARCMASTER SOFTWARE DANGER
-----------------------------------

The ArcMaster compression program shell/menu system has been a very
popular download on our BBS.  In the past week I have received numerous
reports of messed up hard disks after running ArcMaster version 4.0
and 4.01.  I don't know if there were bugs in those versions, or if
some hacker has decided to target ArcMaster for trojans.

I suggest all users of ArcMaster 4.0 and 4.01 stop using those versions
and wait until you can get a clean, new version from a reliable source.

My apologies to John Newlin, since he has written some great software,
but the reports of trashed hard disks have been consistent enough to
warrant some caution with the 4.x versions of ArcMaster.

Bob Mahoney     Exec-PC Multi-user BBS  414-964-5160

---end---

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.2.0.74]

felstein@mcnc.org (Bruce M. Felstein) (03/30/89)

The supposed bugs in ARCMASTER version 4xx and higher do not exist. If
people would bother to read the doc files they would have learned that
the directory that you specify for it to use to unarc and arc files to
MUST be a special blank directory, since it will erase the entire contents
of the directory after it finishes rearchiving the file. If you didn't
bother to read the docs you might specify your root directory to use
for this function and after ARCMASTER was done, it would automatically
erase all files in that directory.

Bruce Felstein          Microelectronic Center of NC
N3DOD                   Research Triangle Park, NC
felstein@mcnc.org

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (03/31/89)

In article <4251@alvin.mcnc.org> felstein@mcnc.org.UUCP (Bruce M. Felstein)
writes:
>...the directory that you specify for it to use to unarc and arc files to
>MUST be a special blank directory...
>If you didn't
>bother to read the docs you might specify your root directory to use
>for this function and after ARCMASTER was done, it would automatically
>erase all files in that directory.

Unfortunately, users won't always remember every fine detail in a user
manual.  I should know, I'm an experienced user of computers, and there
are details I keep overlooking all the time.  If a program does
something dangerous, it should take some care.

If the documentation says that the directory must be a special blank
directory, then the program should make sure that is *is* a blank
directory.  If there are any files in that directory, the program
should refuse to run, or at least confirm:  "Warning:  Directory is not
empty, all files will be deleted, are you sure?".
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (04/01/89)

In article <4251@alvin.mcnc.org> felstein@mcnc.org.UUCP (Bruce M. Felstein) writes:
| The supposed bugs in ARCMASTER version 4xx and higher do not exist. If
| people would bother to read the doc files they would have learned that
| the directory that you specify for it to use to unarc and arc files to
| MUST be a special blank directory, since it will erase the entire contents
| of the directory after it finishes rearchiving the file. If you didn't
| bother to read the docs you might specify your root directory to use
| for this function and after ARCMASTER was done, it would automatically
| erase all files in that directory.

  Arther Clarke said "Any technology sufficiently advanced is
indistinguisable from magic." I say "A program sufficiently destructive
in default operation is indistinguishable from a trojan."

  BTW: a virus spreads, the default of this program is to sterilize
itself and your files. Perhaps we need a new class of evil, the
"kamakazi."

  I have removed this program from the sixhub archives.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (04/07/89)

As quoted from <4251@alvin.mcnc.org> by felstein@mcnc.org (Bruce M. Felstein):
+---------------
| The supposed bugs in ARCMASTER version 4xx and higher do not exist. If
| people would bother to read the doc files they would have learned that
| the directory that you specify for it to use to unarc and arc files to
| MUST be a special blank directory, since it will erase the entire contents
+---------------

Bogus design.  Why doesn't it either (a) create a scratch directory for its
own use or (b) make sure the directory is empty before running (that can
even be done from a batch file:  IF EXIST %1\*.* GOTO BADDIR)?

I suggest that people who use ARCMASTER use a wrapper script which does one
of the above, as a sanity check.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

matt@hprnd.HP.COM (Matt Wakeley) (04/10/89)

> +---------------
> | The supposed bugs in ARCMASTER version 4xx and higher do not exist. If
> | people would bother to read the doc files they would have learned that
> | the directory that you specify for it to use to unarc and arc files to
> | MUST be a special blank directory, since it will erase the entire contents
>
> Bogus design.  Why doesn't it either (a) create a scratch directory for its
> own use or (b) make sure the directory is empty before running (that can
> even be done from a batch file:  IF EXIST %1\*.* GOTO BADDIR)?

> I suggest that people who use ARCMASTER use a wrapper script which does one
> of the above, as a sanity check.

Why doesn't the program just remember which files it creates and then
only erase those files?  Sounds like a VERY bad design to me.