[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] New proposed shareware policy

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (04/07/89)

Thank-you all for posting and mailing your detailed comments on the
issue of whether commercial software should be posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

It seems clear that a large number of Usenet users do want commercial
shareware (which I will call "payware") to be posted.  At the same
time, there are a significant number of people, including me, who think
that no Usenet site should be asked to bear the cost of transporting
such software against its will.

I also think that not all Usenet sites object to payware.  For example,
UUNET recovers its costs by charging subscribers, and sites connecting
to it may well want to receive payware and be willing to pay for it.
There must be other sites, especially the smaller ones that also have
some sort of BBS-type operation, that want to distribute such software
to their users.

Therefore the new proposed policy for comp.binaries.ibm.pc is as
follows:

     Shareware that requires payment is acceptable, provided it is
     functional enough to be useful (i.e., not crippleware).  Such
     software will be posted in such a way that the article header
     will identify it as payware.  Individual sites will be able
     to configure their news software to automatically suppress
     transmission of such articles if they wish.

Implementing this will require a small patch to "inews", the program
that handles all incoming and outgoing news at UNIX sites.  I discussed
this with Joe Buck, a news guru, and the scheme seems workable.  He and
I will have more to say about this soon.

Unless unforeseen problems arise (or persuasive arguments to the
contrary are made), the above policy will become effective a few weeks
from now.  The implementation details must be worked out first.  Until
then, I will happily accept payware submissions, but I will hold them
in a "pending" state.  There are enough things in the input queue that
you will not feel the temporary loss.

The effect will be that all sorts of shareware will be posted and will
be propagated everywhere.  Most news administrators are probably busy
enough that they won't take any special action to block payware.  But
those who are moved to do so will still be able to do so.  This leaves
the decision to individual sites, who pay the bills, which is the way
things ought to be.

I hope this policy will satisfy all Usenet users.  Comments are
welcome.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

pinkas@hobbit.intel.com (Israel Pinkas ~) (04/09/89)

In article <6599@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

> Therefore the new proposed policy for comp.binaries.ibm.pc is as
> follows:
>
>      Shareware that requires payment is acceptable, provided it is
>      functional enough to be useful (i.e., not crippleware).  Such
>      software will be posted in such a way that the article header
>      will identify it as payware.  Individual sites will be able
>      to configure their news software to automatically suppress
>      transmission of such articles if they wish.
>
> Implementing this will require a small patch to "inews", the program
> that handles all incoming and outgoing news at UNIX sites.  I discussed
> this with Joe Buck, a news guru, and the scheme seems workable.  He and
> I will have more to say about this soon.

If you are going to this trouble, would it be any harder to drop it into a
separate newsgroup.  The idea seems solid, but there are so many sites that
making each one rebuild is a problem.  In addition, there are non-Unix
sites which may have other problems, and there are sites that do not have
sources, nor do they have anybody to rebuild.  (Ultrix comes with a binary
distribution of the Usenet software.)

The other problem that I have with this scheme is that what one site does
will affect other sites.  While this is normal, in this case it will not be
detectable.  For example, Intel Santa Clara has newsfeeds from DEC-WRL,
Olivetti, AMD, and HP.  (There are a few more.)  We feed a number of other
companies, as well as ~100 internal sites.  If DEC implemented the proposed
change, we might get the missing articles from other sites.  Then again, we
might not.  Users would not detect it very quickly, as there would still be
volume in the group.

If we created c.b.i.p.payware, it would be obvious what we (and downstream
sites) are getting.

-Israel Pinkas
--
--------------------------------------
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@cadev4.intel.com

simcha@humming.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (04/10/89)

In article <PINKAS.89Apr8232807@hobbit.intel.com> pinkas@hobbit.intel.com (Israel Pinkas ~) writes:
>The other problem that I have with this scheme is that what one site does
>will affect other sites.  While this is normal, in this case it will not be
>detectable...
>...Users would not detect it very quickly, as there would still be
>volume in the group.
>
>If we created c.b.i.p.payware, it would be obvious what we (and downstream
>sites) are getting.

I strongly agree.  I strongly desire to receive payware, yet I would not
be able to determine whether I was receiving all postings unless I
consulted with every node between my site and the backbone.

Also, won't this modification make it impossible for a site so filtered
by their feed to post payware?

Simcha Lerner
harvard!humming!simcha

Opinions are my own, but you are welcome to share them without fee :-) .

stever@pnet51.cts.com (David Stever) (04/11/89)

How will we know if the sites upstream from us have chosen to impliment a cut
off of these so called 'payware' packages?  Will I thusly be cut off from some
future upgrade to QMODEM, just because someone wanted to cut down on
bandwidth?  Nothing real hard & fast here, Rahul, but this leaves me cold.

     ~David Stever~             |       {RoseVAX, Crash}!Orbit!Pnet51!Stever
"Sitting on my face, looking    |Internet (1): Stever@Pnet51.Cts.Com
  for a rainbow"  Mark Twain    |Internet (2): Stever@SP.Unisys.Com
                                |(2) work  (1) recreation
                Great Pyrenees: Not just a dog- an adventure.