[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 16-bit compress for MS-DOS

mbrands@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Manfred Brands) (04/12/89)

David West writes:
> There may be a problem though, in that I've never seen a 16-bit
> MSDOS compress (as opposed to uncompress, which was posted a few
> weeks ago); there are rumors to the effect that to get a 16-bit
> compress to run in 640K, you have to swap pieces of the table to disk,
> which slows execution to a crawl.  A refutation of this, preferably in
> the form of public domain code, would be very welcome.

It is available and it is public domain. I found it recently on SIMTEL.

     54541 ASCII   PD:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>COMPRESS.C
      8071 ASCII   PD:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>COMPRESS.DOC
       852 ASCII   PD:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>COMPRESS.MAKE

It has several #ifdef's in it to compile on many different architectures.
It needs about 450k of free memory to run. Due to #ifdef's the code handles
the limited segment with of 8086, 80286 machines.
I needed it to transfer files from my 286 Xenix system to our Unix system.
It works great.

BTW For those who haven't a C compiler handy. I have seen a program called
	comp16.exe posted a couple of months ago in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
	After I've seen the source it is obvious that it is the same program.

--
# Manfred Brands                       INTERNET:  mbrands@idca.tds.philips.nl #
# Philips TDS, Dept. SSP               UUCP:      ...!mcvax!philapd!mbrands   #