[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] directory sorter program needed

mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) (04/14/89)

I am looking for a program that will allow me to put directory entries in
the order that I want them.  I know that there are a lot of programs the
will display a directory sorted in a lot of different ways, but that is
not what I want.  I want a program that will actually allow me to change
the order of the entries in the directory so that when someone goes dir
they will get a directory displayed in the order that I want it to be
displayed.  Any help would be appreciated, thanx in advance.

		-Mic

aubrey@val.UUCP (Aubrey McIntosh) (04/15/89)

In article <2846@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) writes:
>I am looking for a program that will allow me to put directory entries in
>the order that I want them.  I know that there are a lot of programs the
>will display a directory sorted in a lot of different ways, but that is
>not what I want.  I want a program that will actually allow me to change
>the order of the entries in the directory so that when someone goes dir
>they will get a directory displayed in the order that I want it to be
>displayed.  Any help would be appreciated, thanx in advance.
>
>		-Mic

The Norton Utilities includes a program named DS which will sort the
directory image on the media.  There are choices about name, extension,
size, and date.  There is a subdirectory option where all included
subdirectories are also sorted.  This program (apparantly) does direct
track/sector level IO, and is consequently fast.  However, I would be
concerned about running it in an environment such as windows or Desqview,
where some files may be open.

Before the Norton Utilities were put out, I wrote a program myself which
sorts the current directory.  This program makes a sub directory in the
current directory, and uses DOS rename to move everybody to the subdirectory,
and then back in the proper order.  This is slow. (almost 1 sec/file on
a floppy!).  This is written in Modula-2, and includes my re-construction
of Shell-Metzner's sort algorithm.  I used Logitech's system for development.

I'd be glad to send a copy out, but I need to ask $5 for the time.  I
allow posting it on boards as shareware. (360kb 5.25" floppy for IBM-XT).
Source is included.  You may be interested to know that, although I did
use this for a couple of years, I now use Norton.

%Video Associates Labs
4926 Spicewood Springs Rd.
Austin, TX 78759

--
Whatcha' call a boomerang that doesn't come back?      --Lost--
1-(512)-346-5781 (v)                                Using Modula-2.