[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Annoying bug in wanderer, a graphic game v2.2

t36273c@saha.saha.hut.FI (Ari Huttunen) (04/12/89)

I've been playing wanderer for a some time with my EGA-card and I kind of
like it. Great game! Lately I discovered an annoying bug in it, though.

I use the no_pws level jumping mechanism, but it doesn't work quite right.
Let me give you an example:
	I'm currently on level 16. My highest score I got on level 12.
	Now, if I start playing on level 5 (for example, any level below
	12 gives the same result) and get killed, wanderer saves this in
	the score-file, and I can no longer jump to levels above 12.
Wanderer currently works like this:
	When someone gets killed (or quits) it checks the players high-score
	level against his current level (the level he died on) and saves
	this to the score file. IT DOESN'T CHECK PLAYER'S HIGHEST VISITED
	LEVEL!! So the player can no longer jump to the maximum level he's
	been to.

Of course, if you only play on the highest level and try to go forward,
you'll have no problem. I hope you'll fix this bug.

Ari Huttunen         = In the beginning the Uni(x)verse was created.
ahuttune@hupu.hut.fi = This has made a lot of people very angry and been
                     = widely considered as a bad move.

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (04/12/89)

I noticed that the source for wanderer does not seem to include the
graphics functions for EGA/VGA/Herc.  I have been running it in Herc
mode and it looks great.

Where is the source for the graphics?

a couple of levels are incredibly difficult.  I am stuck on level 13 now
and I can't get the treasure inthe upper right corner.  I have tried every
combination I can think of, but it is always blocked by at least 1 rock.

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
                                       nic.MR.net!srcsip!rogers

zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) (04/16/89)

In article <T36273C.89Apr12110159@saha.saha.hut.FI> t36273c@saha.saha.hut.FI (Ari Huttunen) writes:
>I use the no_pws level jumping mechanism, but it doesn't work quite right.
>Let me give you an example:
>	I'm currently on level 16. My highest score I got on level 12.
>	Now, if I start playing on level 5 (for example, any level below
>	12 gives the same result) and get killed, wanderer saves this in
>	the score-file, and I can no longer jump to levels above 12.

Hello everybody,

nobody here tested this particular situation while the program was still
in beta test. It is fixed in the sources now. The next version posted
will correct it.

For all those interested here is some additional information on the
current state of Wanderer:

Currently, Dave Bodenstab who posted the black-and-white EGA version to
comp.sources.games is incorporating my changes for EGA color and
Hercules graphics as well as some patches he received from other people
to make it run under Xenix into one set of source modules. As soon as he
gets it done, sources will be posted to comp.sources.games and an
executable for the IBM-PC family will be submited to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc by me.

Current known bugs corrected include:
	- the one above
	- Hercules graphics from time to time showed a border on the
	  right side. This has been removed.
	- The monster in the border area is displayed on blue background
	  and when cleared will leave nothing but a blue spot.
	- Bitmaps are user definable and can be loaded from a file. The
	  original ones are still used as defaults.

And the EGA bitmap display will be redesigned to speed it up. This is
not yet done but will be completed on time.

		Have fun,
		  ...urs

uucp: ...!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!ethz