[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Hackers, origin of term

mms@sordid.Sun.COM (Michael Silverstein) (04/11/89)

In article <2115NU113738@NDSUVM1> NU113738@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
*>
*> Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but the term "hacker" was actually conned
*> by the original group of students at MIT who where the first to be
*> exposed to computers.  They used to "hack" as they called it, programs ...
*> Jeff Bakke

At the cost of admitting how long ago I was an undergraduate, I can
recall that in the 50's "hacker" was a widely used term of derision.
It applied to students who worked very hard, but showed little insight,
imagination, or elegance.

As round-the-clock bouts in the basements of computer labs replaced
other activities, "hacker" became one of the missiles of choice in
the verbal food fights which invariably occured. The popular media,
hearing it applied so often by students to one another, assumed it
was a sign of respect, homage, etc., which is by now probably an
irreversible misconception.

 *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
 |    /\/\ike Silverstein    |  This can't be deja vu. Things are more like   |
 | sun!mms -or- mms@sun.com  |  they are now, than they've ever been before!  |
 *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*

rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI) (04/12/89)

In article <98299@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> mms@sun.UUCP (Michael Silverstein) writes:
++> ...
++>hearing it applied so often by students to one another, assumed it
++>was a sign of respect, homage, etc., which is by now probably an
++>irreversible misconception.
++>

It appears now that the media has turned it back around and
it is now used in a negative way indicating 'breaker, pirate, etc.'

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (04/15/89)

By original definition, a hacker is a person who takes a piece of
doggie-dirties program and changes it.  There are also electronics
hackers (I am one - I fixed a radio by dragging a wrench across the connect-
tions until it worked, then soldered the connections together.)
There are hackers in every field where makeshift fixes can be done.
Unfortunately, the media thinks "hacker" means "one who destroys computers
by casting a magic spell".  Another media problem occured when that
student put the virus into UN*X , VAX, etc. .sh files.  Remember?
I'll bet that virus protection file sales for all computers went up
75% after that because of the PIMP (Public Impression through the Media
Peephole).  My dad forbid me from downloading until I showed him
news.important articles that explained it.
--
   /|  This is my sig. I must learn its parts like I know myself.
\'o.O'  Steven Spielberg presents the Last Temptation of Schwartzeneggar!

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (04/18/89)

In article <3299@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.UUCP (Ben Feen) writes:
>By original definition, a hacker is a person who takes a piece of
>doggie-dirties program and changes it.  There are also electronics
>hackers (I am one - I fixed a radio by dragging a wrench across the connect-
>tions until it worked, then soldered the connections together.)
>There are hackers in every field where makeshift fixes can be done.
	Hardly the "original" definition.  In fact, that's one I never
	heard.  A discussion of the REAL origin seems to take place
	annually on the net.  While there's some variation,  those
	with long memories know the term as a compliment.

>  My dad forbid me from downloading until I showed him
>news.important articles that explained it.
	Sorry, Ben, but if your dad could forbid you from doing anything
	while news.important was in existence (or even popular use of
	the term "download"), you weren't even born when "hacker"
	originated.  (I encountered it in the early-mid '60s.)

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Middletown, NJ		|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 957 6583					|