[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] SIMTEL20 file transfers never finish -- am I doing something wrong?

jdpeek@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU (Jerry Peek) (04/18/89)

When I want a big file from SIMTEL20, I sometimes have to try 10 or 15 times
before I get the whole thing.  The connection goes idle for 5 or 10 minutes,
the file I'm receiving never gets any bigger, and I finally just kill the
transfer and try again.

	ftp> get gawk210.arc
	200 Port 11.214 at host 128.230.1.55 accepted.
	150 Retrieve of PD1:<MSDOS.AWK>GAWK210.ARC.1 started.
	^C
	451 ? Unexpected close of data connection.
	421 Autologout - job idle too long
	45560 bytes received in 6.9e+02 seconds (0.065 Kbytes/s)
	ftp> quit

I've always figured that this was just "the way it goes" when ftp'ing to
SIMTEL20.  Should I wait longer before I kill the ftp job?  Any other ideas?
Thanks...

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu, SUNRIS::JDPEEK, jdpeek@suvm.bitnet
  +1 315 443-3995

doug@hokulea.hig.hawaii.edu (Doug Myhre) (04/21/89)

In article <18402@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> gpoy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sheldon Luberoff) writes:
>I tried the following seqence of Ftp commands in lieu of the "tenex" command:
>
>ftp>binary
>
>ftp>quote "TYPE L 8"

This sequence may be used for FTP programs that don't have the "tenex"
command.  What this is doing is setting your computer and the computer you're
connected to into binary mode (with the "binary" command).  It then
sets the machine you are connected to into tenex mode ('quote "TYPE L 8" ').
If you were just to do a 'quote "TYPE L 8" ' without "binary" first then
your machine would be left in ascii mode while the other machine would be in
tenex mode.  If you were to type "binary" after 'quote "TYPE L 8" ', it would
set the machine you are connected to into "tenex" mode and then to binary
mode.  This you don't want.
    There isn't any difference in doing this then typing "tenex" in FTP that
has that option.

*  Douglas Myhre   <doug@loihi.hig.hawaii.edu>    *
*  Hawaii Institute of Geophysics                 *
*  Research Computing Facility                    *
*  2525 Correa Rd.                                *
*  Honolulu, HI 96822                             *