[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Viruses and LZARC

eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM (Ed_Boston) (04/13/89)

With all the talk of which compression format to change to, I would like
to take a moment and transfer some information about the program LZARC.

I have seen a couple of messages about how LZARC might be slower than most
other program, but it creates smaller files.  Also, it has the ability to
create self-running COM files.  It is this last part I wish to address.

I am fairly active on the PC based BBS systems.  There has been a lot of
discussion as to which program to use on these systems.  A lot of users and
sysops liked the LZARC program because it produced smaller code.  However,
as time went on, the ability to create self-running COM files were discovered
and the feeling about LZARC changed.  This function now allow people with a
warped sense of humor, a simple way of infecting disks with a virus.

What can happen is the person could get a hold of a normal GOOD program and
add thier virus as a self-running COM file.  Now you go and un-compress the
file, the virus runs, picks a file to attach onto and now your in trouble.
Because of this, there have already been several programs written to de-fuse
the LZARC programs.

Because of this problem, I would suggust not using LZARC unless you have
placed safegards against viruses and trojans on your system.  I vote against
LZARC or any program that allows self-running programs.

Ed Boston
eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM

eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM (Ed_Boston) (04/14/89)

Opps.  In my text, replace LZARC with LHARC.  Sorry.

Ed Boston
eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM

goehring@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott Goehring) (04/15/89)

In article <2530005@hpbsla.HP.COM> eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM (Ed_Boston) writes:
>I have seen a couple of messages about how LZARC might be slower than most
>other program, but it creates smaller files.  Also, it has the ability to
>create self-running COM files.  It is this last part I wish to address.
[...]
>However, as time went on, the ability to create self-running COM
>files were discovered and the feeling about LZARC changed.  This
>function now allow people with a warped sense of humor, a simple way
>of infecting disks with a virus.

>Because of this problem, I would suggust not using LZARC unless you have
>placed safegards against viruses and trojans on your system.  I vote against
>LZARC or any program that allows self-running programs.

ARC, PKPAK, ZIP, and ZOO all have the capability to create
self-extracting archives (which is what I assume you are talking
about).  Are you then recommending against the use ARC, ZIP, ZOO, and
PKPAK, and instead recommending that we go back to LBR and SQ?

I agree with you that self-extracting archives should be avoided, but
that does not mean that we should not use archivers that allow them to
be created; simply do not make them.  Also, ZOO and, I understand, ZIP
and ARC, allow you to unpack a self-extracting archive using the
normal tool (without running it) so even then it's not that much of a
problem.
--
Scott Goehring |     Arpanet:  goehring@cs.purdue.edu
---------------'     UUCP:  ...!{decwrl,gatech,ucbvax}!purdue!goehring

maa@nbires.nbi.com (Mark Armbrust) (04/15/89)

In article <2530005@hpbsla.HP.COM> eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM (Ed_Boston) writes:

>as time went on, the ability to create self-running COM files were discovered
>and the feeling about LZARC changed.  This function now allow people with a
>warped sense of humor, a simple way of infecting disks with a virus.

This is really no different that ANY self-extracting archive file.  Anyone who
runs software of questionable origin on his system is asking for trouble.  The
self running batch file option only works with self-extracting LHARC archives.

From the LHARC manual:

	3.  Self-Extracting Files.

	If a self-extracting file is executed, then it will try to extract
	all of the archived files into the current directory.  Every
	extracted file has the attribute  20h. If a file with a name
	of AUTOLARC.BAT exists, this batch file is activated immediately.

	It is possible to embed some jokes or even so-called viruses in
	this autolarc.bat file.  The possibility exits even with other SFX
	files from ARC or PKware.  So I have chosen to keep the batch file
	option active in the present version because the world is now
	well-prepared for those tricks.

>Because of this problem, I would suggust not using LZARC unless you have
>placed safegards against viruses and trojans on your system.  I vote against
>LZARC or any program that allows self-running programs.

I have just finished writing a program that scans LHARC files and reports the
location of file headers in them.  This info can be used by the same program
to extract files from damaged archives and self-extracting archives.  It should
be sent to comp.binaries.ibm.pc later this weekend or on Monday if I cannot get
it uploaded from home.

Mark Armbrust
maa@nbires.nbi.com
maa@nbires.UUCP

eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM (Ed_Boston) (04/19/89)

Either you missed the point I was trying to get across, or I was very
unclear about what I was saying.

I am not against Self-Extracting programs.  In fact, I use PKZIP for all
my personal files.  It is the SELF-RUNNING programs in the Self-Extracting
programs that I object to.  When I run a .EXE program that is compressed,
I don't want a program inside of the archive to start running.

Ed Boston

fvs@ncnoc.tucc.edu (Frank Schubert) (04/21/89)

In article <2530007@hpbsla.HP.COM> eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM (Ed_Boston) writes:
>Either you missed the point I was trying to get across, or I was very
>unclear about what I was saying.
>
>I am not against Self-Extracting programs.  In fact, I use PKZIP for all
>my personal files.  It is the SELF-RUNNING programs in the Self-Extracting
>programs that I object to.  When I run a .EXE program that is compressed,
>I don't want a program inside of the archive to start running.
>
>Ed Boston

Then I suppose you would not mind receiving a file that had ZIP as the last
level that was claimed to be a SE-P that in reality was a virus?