[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] IDEA: a better way to transmit files

naz@hslrswi.UUCP (Norman H. Azadian) (04/22/89)

It just ocurred to me that the way we send files back and forth is
really pretty silly.  First we compress the bejesus out of them
with archivers or compress, then we expand them with uuencode or
btoa to prevent problems with mailers.

Wouldn't it be rather more clever to give the archivers/compressors
an option which would restrict their output character set to something
safe for mailers?  My guess is that this would produce a smaller output,
in addition to the obvious savings in compute time and operator effort.

NHA
---
PAPER:  Norman Azadian; Hasler AG; Belpstrasse 23; 3000 Berne 14; Switzerland
X.400:  naz@hslrswi.hasler
UUCP:   ...{uunet,ukc,mcvax,...}!cernvax!hslrswi!azadian
VOICE:  +41 31 63 2178            BITNET: naz%hslrswi.UUCP@cernvax.BITNET
--

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (04/23/89)

In article <926@hslrswi.UUCP> naz@hslrswi.UUCP (Norman H. Azadian) writes:
>Wouldn't it be rather more clever to give the archivers/compressors
>an option which would restrict their output character set to something
>safe for mailers?

This occurred to me about two years ago, soon after I got access to
Usenet.  It's in the "to be eventually implemented when I have the
time" queue for zoo.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi