[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] No replies from Simtel20 anymore!

mark@motcsd.UUCP (Mark Jeghers) (04/19/89)

I have been sending requests to Simtel20 (a few at a time, of course),
but in the last week, I have gotten no more replies, niether diagnostic

What could the problem be??  I use the following command:

mail motcsd!LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET

motcsd is a local node that has a smart mailer on it.

HELP!

Mark Jeghers
Motorola Computer Systems

eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM (Ed_Boston) (04/20/89)

I have had siimilar problems with SIMTEL.  I finally got a response today.
I sent a request at 6am and and the "request pending" message at midnight.

Since SIMTEL is a "as time allows" system, I would guess that the system is
in a heavy use period.

Ed Boston
eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (04/21/89)

}
}Since SIMTEL is a "as time allows" system, I would guess that the system is
}in a heavy use period.

SIMTEL is *always* in a heavy use period....
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

doug@hokulea.hig.hawaii.edu (Doug Myhre) (04/25/89)

In article <244f271b@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>In article <2530008@hpbsla.HP.COM>, eboston@hpbsla.HP.COM (Ed_Boston) writes:
>}I have had siimilar problems with SIMTEL.  I finally got a response today.
>}I sent a request at 6am and and the "request pending" message at midnight.
>}
>}Since SIMTEL is a "as time allows" system, I would guess that the system is
>}in a heavy use period.
>
>SIMTEL is *always* in a heavy use period....

That's funny, I live out in Hawaii and never seem to have any trouble
getting files off of SIMTEL.  I even often can get in durring normally
"busy" hours.  Maybe you got a bad path to the machine.

*  Douglas Myhre   <doug@loihi.hig.hawaii.edu>    *
*  Hawaii Institute of Geophysics                 *
*  Research Computing Facility                    *
*  2525 Correa Rd.                                *
*  Honolulu, HI 96822                             *