[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Sun like OS for PC and MINIX

jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (04/26/89)

From article <527@megatek.UUCP>, by hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck):
> If you mean SUN OS 4.0, this is an implementation of UNIX.  In that case,
> get MINIX of some public domain BBS (I am really sorry I cannot point

	MINIX is NOT public domain software!!  MINIX is published software!
It costs ~$80, and you can buy the OS and the source code from Prentice-Hall.
For more info, peek at comp.os.minix.

	One last note:  Minix isn't a general use OS yet.  It's a "toy"
OS for people who are interested in working on OS's.  "Toy" is quoted because
it's fully self-supporting with a C compiler and multi-tasking and it's own
file-system and communications support, but it isn't meant for developing
software.

corbin@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Steve Corbin) (04/27/89)

 In article <2944@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) writes:

 >	MINIX is NOT public domain software!!  MINIX is published software!
 >It costs ~$80, and you can buy the OS and the source code from Prentice-Hall.
 >For more info, peek at comp.os.minix.

You can also get MINIX for free.  Just ask someone who has a copy to give
you one.

This is legal, and condoned unless Andy Tannenbaum has changed his mind.

Stephen Corbin	    UUCP:	{bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!corbin
		    Internet:	corbin@multimax.ARPA

djm@etive.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) (04/28/89)

 writes:

>	MINIX is NOT public domain software!!  MINIX is published software!
>It costs ~$80, and you can buy the OS and the source code from Prentice-Hall.
>For more info, peek at comp.os.minix.
>
>	One last note:  Minix isn't a general use OS yet.  It's a "toy"
>OS for people who are interested in working on OS's.  "Toy" is quoted because
>it's fully self-supporting with a C compiler and multi-tasking and it's own
>file-system and communications support, but it isn't meant for developing
>software.

OK - so I'm interested in `playing' with this `toy' on a PC - what sort of
requirements does it have in terms of memory, disk space and such ?
I just want a brief idea - if I decide to pursue the matter more (this has
nothing to do with work) I'll wade through comp.os.minix, but if people could
email me with some basic information I'll summarize the replies to the net.

Murff....

JANET: djm@uk.ac.ed.etive      Internet: djm%ed.etive@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
       Murff@uk.ac.ed.emas-a             Murff%ed.emas-a@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
       trinity@uk.ac.ed.cs.tardis        trinity%ed.cs.tardis@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

D.J. Murphy
Chemistry Dept.
Univ. of Edinburgh

  "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work,
    I want to achieve it through not dying."

                                            Woody Allen

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) (04/28/89)

In article <6388@xenna.Encore.COM> corbin@pinocchio.UUCP (Steve Corbin) writes:

>You can also get MINIX for free.  Just ask someone who has a copy to give [..]
                                            ^^^^^^^
that "someone" must be your _friend_ per the copyright notice. .. Also, your
friend shouldn't have more than three other (freeloading) friends per the same
notice.
--
--==---==---==--
.. He left it dead, and with its head ..

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (04/29/89)

It's not as complete but the OS/88 system is patterned more after
BSD (from which the Sun OS comes) than Minix (which was intended to
be like Version 7 Unix).

On the other hand, a lot of the code posted for use on Minix
would probably work on OS/88.

The kernel and system dependent utilities were written by
Dan Lanciani at Harvard; the remainder is collected PD U**x
equivalents.

It is available from the Austin Code Works people who have always
given me good service.

I have the original version which runs fine on my IBM PC but
crashes on my wife's turbo clone. There may be an update which
makes it more portable, ask ACW.

 Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
 (The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>