[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help wanted on UUDECODE and PK361

c08_d014@jhunix (Stdnt 14) (04/30/89)

I recently got a copy of UUDECODE.EXE version and PK361.EXE from simtel20.
I then tried to run PK361.EXE to unpack it and tried to run UUDECODE.EXE on
a file I had transfered. I got the message that the program was too big to
fit the memory. I tried it on two PC's each with 1Meg of memory. Does it
require more than 1 Meg of memory to run  ?  If so can you please send me
a copy of the unpacked PKX361.EXE or tell me where I can get it . Thank You.

                          SURAJ C. SURENDARKUMAR.

What Me Worry ?                         <ins_cscs@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
BITNET: INS_CSCS@JHUNIX	      also      BITNET: INS_CSCS@JHUVMS
ARPA: ins_cscs%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA      UUCP: allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_cscs

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (04/30/89)

In article <1640@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> c08_d014@jhunix (Stdnt 14) writes:
>I recently got a copy of UUDECODE.EXE version and PK361.EXE from simtel20.
>I then tried to run PK361.EXE to unpack it and tried to run UUDECODE.EXE on
>a file I had transfered. I got the message that the program was too big to
>fit the memory. I tried it on two PC's each with 1Meg of memory. Does it
>require more than 1 Meg of memory to run  ?  If so can you please send me
>a copy of the unpacked PKX361.EXE or tell me where I can get it . Thank You.

Sounds very strange.  You have probably failed to set the file
attributes (tenex for Simtel, binary for any ftp site) correctly, or
something similar in getting pk361.exe.  There is nothing wrong with
a proper copy of pk361.exe.  If you wish to, you can try to
anonymous ftp another copy of /pc/pd2/pk361.exe from 214.218.12.3,
but remember to use a binary transfer.
   Just in case you have completely failed to understand how to
unpack pk361.exe I shall explain it.  (My sincere apologies if this
is not the case.) It is a self-extracting package and to unravel its
mysteries simply give the command pk361.  If you are using a floppy,
see to it that there is enough room.  Also, you must have pk361.exe
in the default directory where you give the command.  The procedure
has NOTHING whatsoever to do with UUDECODE, and you will have to
perform it in your PC, not in your mainframe.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (05/01/89)

In article <484@chyde.uwasa.fi> ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>In article <1640@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> c08_d014@jhunix (Stdnt 14) writes:
>>I recently got a copy of UUDECODE.EXE version and PK361.EXE from simtel20.
(Then proceeds to tell about problems in pk361.exe.)

>anonymous ftp another copy of /pc/pd2/pk361.exe from 214.218.12.3,

  I have to reply to my own message.  I got an error in the node
number.  The correct node number of the University of Vaasa Sun 4 is
128.214.12.3.  Well, things like this are bound to happen.  Anyway,
what we have here is about a 100Mb of PD and shareware programs.
While I am at it I shall include some prerecorded instructions for
getting them for those who are less familiar with the file transfer
program.  The instructions concern my own programs, but they are
applicable for the other programs here, as well.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

Obtaining the PD Programs by Timo Salmi via InterNet

   You can obtain the file(s) from chyde.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.3)
using the InterNet ftp (file transfer program) with username
"anonymous". For a login password use your electronic mail address.
If you are using ftp from a VAX/VMS system, set case lower before
proceeding.

   The files are in directory /pc/ts. At the ftp> prompt first type
binary (for binary files). To go to the relevant directory apply cd
/pc/ts. To see its contents apply ls or dir. To download a file, use
get filename or mget filenames. The files have been packed with
PKPAK so you will need PKUNPAK from PKWARE to unpack them in your
PC.

   The following contains the same information by giving the
commands needed for transferring tsarc15.txt (contains a summary of
the programs) and tspfon28.arc as an example. In the example its is
assumed that you are calling from a Unix system. The usage for a
VAX/VMS system is quite similar.
   It is recommended that you first get the files 0contents and
tsarc15.txt (or later than version 15) for more information.

ftp                   #Invoke the file transfer program
open 128.214.12.3     #Connect to chyde.uwasa.fi at the University
                      #of Vaasa
anonymous             #Use this name to get temporary privileges
Give your email address as your password
cd /pc/ts             #Go to the relevant directory
dir                   #Directory of available files
ascii                 #tsarc15.txt is an ordinary text file
get tsarc15.arc       #Copy the file to your default directory
binary                #tspfon28.arc is a binary file
mget tspfon*.arc      #mget allows wildcards
close                 #Terminate the connection
quit                  #Quit the file transfer program