[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] How do you turn off the PC's BEEP?

mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) (04/28/89)

Does anyone have a utility (TSR?) that controls the beep?  Occasionally
I would like to turn off the sound on my PC.  I know that some personal
computers are equipped with some kind of ON/OFF switch on their front
panel, but IBM's don't have them.

  Mario Dona
  ...!{ !decwrl!qubix, ames!oliveb!tymix, pyramid}!wjvax!mario
  The above opinions are mine alone and not, in any way, those of WJ.

kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (04/28/89)

You unplug the speaker.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away

tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen) (04/30/89)

mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:

>Does anyone have a utility (TSR?) that controls the beep?  Occasionally
>I would like to turn off the sound on my PC.  I know that some personal
>computers are equipped with some kind of ON/OFF switch on their front
>panel, but IBM's don't have them.

Yes - I dont like the BEEP on my pc either; but what about a small
program that could change the volume, the frekvens and so on for the
beep, and of cause could turn it off if that was wanted.

If any one have a program like this I would be happy to get in touch with
them.

/Thomas

Thomas P.S. Olesen                               Dansk Data Elektronik A/S
E-mail: ..!uunet!mcvax!dkuug!dde!tpo             System Software Department
        or       tpo@dde.dk

ejd@caen.engin.umich.edu (Edward J Driscoll) (04/30/89)

In article <Apr.28.11.47.38.1989.897@topaz.rutgers.edu> kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) writes:
>You unplug the speaker.
>--

Better yet, you go down to Radio Shack and pay two bits for a switch
or (if you're really fancy) a potentiometer, and hook it up to the
speaker.
--
Ed Driscoll
The University of Michigan

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/01/89)

In article <42f1c8e8.b11a@falcon.engin.umich.edu>, ejd@caen.engin.umich.edu (Edward J Driscoll) writes:

 >In article <Apr.28.11.47.38.1989.897@topaz.rutgers.edu>
 >kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) writes:
 >>You unplug the speaker.
 >>--
 >
 >Better yet, you go down to Radio Shack and pay two bits for a switch
 >or (if you're really fancy) a potentiometer, and hook it up to the
 >speaker.

In the October 1987 issue of PC Resource, there was an article on making
a volume control for the PC.  If anyone likes, I can type in the plans
(I don't think we need the whole article: "Get a 25-watt soldering iron.
Heat it up. ...") for it.  I built one for my computer from their
instructions, and it works fine.  (Actually, it has a tendency to
buzz a bit at times (I suspect a loose connection), but I don't really
feel like opening up my computer again and checking everything out
again.  It works fine most of the time, and when it doesn't, it's nothing
a good tap on the side won't fix.)

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

ugpolvin@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph Polvino) (05/02/89)

In article <550@Aragorn.dde.uucp> tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen) writes:
[...]
>Yes - I dont like the BEEP on my pc either; but what about a small
>program that could change the volume, the frekvens and so on for the
>beep, and of cause could turn it off if that was wanted.
>
>If any one have a program like this I would be happy to get in touch with
>them.

I own a Tandy 1000SX and got it before the newer version which has a volume
knob came out.  I bought a potentiometer and drilled a hole in one of my
rear slot covers (the slot was not being used).  Added a few wires and some
solder, and I have total control over my pc's volume.  It has the following
advantages over a TSR utility:
   1. You don't have to load it into memory and waste any space
   2. You don't have to remember any hot-keys
   3. You don't have to worry about losing your TSR; the pot is permanent
   4. There are NO conflicts with any software
   5. It is instant; no toying around and wasting time
   6. You fill in the rest...

For those more serious hardware-oriented people, installing a headphone jack
would not be a bad investment.  Remember to use a stereo jack so you'll be
able to hear through both headphone speakers when you use stereo headphones
(the audio won't be in stereo of course).

I expect my custom-made volume knob to be a selling point when I sell my pc.

---

Joe Polvino
ugpolvin@cs.buffalo.edu
v058p7wh@ubvms.bitnet