[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] background kermit

hadden@ella.SRC.Honeywell.COM (George D. Hadden) (05/04/89)

i remember a pointer to such a thing being posted a while back, but i
sure can't remember where it was.  does anyone remember?

(by "background kermit", i mean a process on the pc which will
download (or upload) files while i'm using another program).

thanks,

-geo
---
George D. Hadden, Honeywell Systems and Research Center
PHONE:  (612)782-7769
MAIL:   3660 Technology Drive MN65-2100, Minneapolis, MN 55418
ARPA:   hadden@src.honeywell.com
UUCP:   {umn-cs, ems, bthpyd}!srcsip!hadden

Kim.Tan@p1004.f162.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kim Tan) (05/04/89)

 GD-> i remember a pointer to such a thing being posted a while back, but i
 GD-> sure can't remember where it was.  does anyone remember?
 GD->
 GD-> (by "background kermit", i mean a process on the pc which will
 GD-> download (or upload) files while i'm using another program).

     I am using Kermit with the MS-Windows, and it will up/download and
running programs at the same time while you are doing somethings else with
your PC! This is *close* to multi-tasking or time shearing. The parameter to
set up Kermit with MS-Windows is set memory to 200K (I think) and takes all
the option off the key-board, screen, and memory modify. And just have text
mode on! (ie. you can't use the TEK option, due to the memory problem,
unless you have an EEMs or something likes that...).

     I hope this is what you are looking for!...

*  Kim A Tan                              *  W.C.G.R                 *
*  FidoNet  : Kim Tan on 1:221/162.1004   *  University of Waterloo  *
*  InterNet : Kim.Tan%isishq.uucp@watdcsu *  Waterloo, Ontario       *
*  BitNet   : Lrsdan@Vm.UoGuelph.Ca       *  Canada N2L 3G1          *
*  Uucp     : ...!watmath.waterloo.edu!isishq!Kim.Tan                *

 Kim Tan - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!162.1004!Kim.Tan
 Internet: Kim.Tan@p1004.f162.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) (05/06/89)

In article <2319.24611D30@isishq.FIDONET.ORG> Kim.Tan@p1004.f162.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kim Tan) writes:
>     I am using Kermit with the MS-Windows, and it will up/download and
>running programs at the same time while you are doing somethings else with
>your PC! This is *close* to multi-tasking or time shearing.

It does work mostly, so long as you keep a VERY light finger on your ALT-key.
Watch KERMIT screech to a halt if you hold down the ALT key while you decide
what you want to type next. I don't have any idea how a mouse affects KERMIT
running in the background, though.
--
.. Beware the Jubjub bird, ..