[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 43-line EGA mode for MicroEmacs 3.10?

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (05/10/89)

MicroEmacs 3.10 looks good so far...but can anyone tell me how to get
43-line EGA mode?  Do I have to write my own macro?  If so, how do I
do it?  I tried to change window to 43-lines, but it said "impossible
command" or something like that.

Thanks...

						-Adam

las) (05/11/89)

In article <May.9.14.15.06.1989.14175@caip.rutgers.edu> porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:
>MicroEmacs 3.10 looks good so far...but can anyone tell me how to get
>43-line EGA mode?  Do I have to write my own macro?  If so, how do I
>do it?  I tried to change window to 43-lines, but it said "impossible
>command" or something like that.

You can put the command 'set $sres "EGA"' in your emacs.rc file.  If you
have VGA, you use 'set $sres "VGA"' and get 50 lines if your eyesight
is good or if you have a large monitor.

I found that I had problems with the cursor disappearing upon return from
pushing to a shell (the 'i-shell' function, normally bound to ^XC) to say
nothing about the funky appearence of the display when you do this in
43-line mode.  As a quick-fix I added the following to my emacs.rc file:

	38	store-macro
		set $sres "CGA"
		i-shell
		set $sres "EGA"
	!endm

	bind-to-key execute-macro-38 ^XC

(I know that I should use the new named macro facility and get rid of
all my old code using the numbered macros and I will, this was just a
quick hack to get going again after running into the disappearing
cursor problem for the first time.)

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (05/11/89)

In article <May.9.14.15.06.1989.14175@caip.rutgers.edu> porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:

>MicroEmacs 3.10 looks good so far...but can anyone tell me how to get
>43-line EGA mode?  Do I have to write my own macro?  If so, how do I
>do it?  I tried to change window to 43-lines, but it said "impossible
>command" or something like that.

Edit the file EMACS.RC (with Emacs :-) )

Somewhere at the beginning there is a line somewhat like

;          set $vres = "EGA"

Just remove the ;.

(For a VGA, also change EGA in VGA.)

                                         Michael