[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need pkarc help

pmswl@dcatla.UUCP (Scott W. Leonard) (05/10/89)

I'm looking for a pkarc utility that adds a large comment file to the
beginning of a .arc file.  I have similar programs that adds comments to
.zip files from a pre-made text file, but nothing for .arc files.  If
anybody has such a utility, could you please email me a copy.

                Thanks
                Scott Leonard
 Scott W. Leonard
 Digital Communications Associates
 Alpharetta, Georgia 30201    pmswl@dcatla.com   or   gatech!dcatla!pmswl

c328-10@sbcs.sunysb.edu (cse328 student) (05/11/89)

In article <18700@dcatla.UUCP> pmswl@sunb.UUCP (Scott W. Leonard) writes:

>I'm looking for a pkarc utility that adds a large comment file to the
>beginning of a .arc file.  I have similar programs that adds comments to
>.zip files from a pre-made text file, but nothing for .arc files.  If
>anybody has such a utility, could you please email me a copy.
>
>                Thanks
>                Scott Leonard

why?  the .arc format has been superceded by .zip

in addition there is a moral reason not to be involved with .arc at all,
in support of Phil Katz' fight against SEA.

you might as well be looking for a B compiler, even though it
has been replaced by C.

.zip gives you everything you want and more, so why are you still working with .arc?

                 Cliff Heller

--> no signature, because they're stupid.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/12/89)

In article <2786@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, c328-10@sbcs.sunysb.edu (cse328 student) writes:

 >In article <18700@dcatla.UUCP> pmswl@sunb.UUCP (Scott W. Leonard) writes:
 >>
 >>I'm looking for a pkarc utility that adds a large comment file to the
 >>beginning of a .arc file.  I have similar programs that adds comments to
 >>.zip files from a pre-made text file, but nothing for .arc files.  If
 >>anybody has such a utility, could you please email me a copy.
 >>
 >>                Thanks
 >>                Scott Leonard
 >
 >why?  the .arc format has been superceded by .zip
 >[...]
 >.zip gives you everything you want and more, so why are you still working
 >with .arc?

I can think of two reasons that I still use ARC, and they are named Unix
and AmigaDOS.  PKZIP has been ported to neither of these, while ARC
has.  In addition, c.b.i.p is still using ARC, so I wouldn't exactly
call it dead...

To answer Scott's original question, you can't.  The ARC format only allows
a one-line comment.  Because the ZIP format was created from scratch, the
bigger comment was one of the things added.

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (05/12/89)

>I can think of two reasons that I still use ARC, and they are named Unix
>and AmigaDOS.  PKZIP has been ported to neither of these, while ARC
>has.

Where can I get a UNIX version of PKXARC for BSD 4.3?

							-Adam

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (05/14/89)

}
}I can think of two reasons that I still use ARC, and they are named Unix
}and AmigaDOS.  PKZIP has been ported to neither of these, while ARC
}has.  In addition, c.b.i.p is still using ARC, so I wouldn't exactly
}call it dead...

I have no problems extracting ZIP files on my Unix account....

}To answer Scott's original question, you can't.  The ARC format only allows
}a one-line comment.  Because the ZIP format was created from scratch, the
}bigger comment was one of the things added.

The ARC format does not allow *any* comments.  Those were added by PKARC with
an additional data area at the end of the archive (which is why SEA ARC would
not maintain comments added by PKARC, at least for several versions after PKARC
introduced them--I haven't tried SEA ARC for a long time)

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31