[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PD Tar Utility

lever@linus.UUCP (lever) (05/13/89)

Question:

I am looking for a PD tar utility that I can use with my digidata 2000
9-track tape machine with the least possible fiddling as I don't have
much time to get this working.  I tried simtel20's PDTAR.ARC.1 to no
avail.  Using both the TENEX option and the BINARY option from within
FTP, pkxarc complains.  Is there another location for PDTAR.ARC or
perhaps a better source for easy source?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
(lever@linus.uucp)

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (05/15/89)

In article <53178@linus.UUCP> lever@linus.UUCP (lever) writes:
>Question:
>
>FTP, pkxarc complains.  Is there another location for PDTAR.ARC or
>perhaps a better source for easy source?

There are probably several programs called pdtar floating about.  I
distribute one that has been tailored for **IX <==> MSDOS transfers.
While it works fine for its intended purpose, it has not been tested
with tape drives because I don't have a tape drive (except on a VAX,
but there I already have tar).

MAIL TO THE ADDRESS BELOW, NOT TO THE DEFAULT GIVEN BY THE NEWSREADER.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
Davis, California  95616
916-752-1636 (2300-0800 PDT for FAX)
916-752-0776 (secretary)
ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck (email)
cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	(request ucdked, login as guest)

roskos@ida.org (Eric Roskos) (05/17/89)

I also posted a PD tar about a year ago, which was a modification of
John Gilmore's PD Tar.  It had these features:

	- Worked interchangeably with Unix tar
	- Converted MS-DOS filenames to Unix filenames and vice versa
	- Would write multivolume tar archives on raw floppy disks
	- The multivolume tar archives were compatible with the Posix
	  trial-use standard format for multivolume tar
	- The program could also be compiled to work under the Minix
	  operating system with these same features
	- When tarring files on a DOS system, it would check the file
	  extension and, if it was not one of a list of binary file
	  extensions (you could specify via command-line switches
	  which additional extensions were binary, besides the standard
	  DOS ones), it would convert the file from DOS CR/LF format
	  text files to Unix LF-only format text files

To date I have not heard of anyone using this program, besides myself and
a few people I gave copies to it, which is one of the reasons I no longer
bother to post programs I write to the Usenet.  However, if you can find
it, you can probably get it to do what you want; John's code was very
flexible, and the changes I made to make it work with DOS (adding the
above features) were also device-independent.

----
Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T.
--
Eric Roskos (roskos@CS.IDA.ORG or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (05/19/89)

In article <967@csed-55.IDA.ORG> roskos@ida.org (Eric Roskos) writes:
>I also posted a PD tar about a year ago, which was a modification of
>John Gilmore's PD Tar.  It had these features:
...<misc. features listed>
>	- When tarring files on a DOS system, it would check the file
>	  extension and, if it was not one of a list of binary file
>	  extensions (you could specify via command-line switches
>	  which additional extensions were binary, besides the standard
>	  DOS ones), it would convert the file from DOS CR/LF format
>	  text files to Unix LF-only format text files
>To date I have not heard of anyone using this program, besides myself and
>a few people I gave copies to it, which is one of the reasons I no longer

I use it.  I've also extended it to handle a larger built-in set of extensions
of binary files and to allow '?' in the extension (or did you do that?  it's
been so long).  I probably made other changes, just can't remember.  My
list of extensions (taken from a new header file) is:

"arc", "bin", "cal", "cfg", "com", "dif", "db?", "exe", "gif", "lib",
"mac", "ndx", "obj", "00?", "ov?", "pak", "pic", "rbs", "rx?", "slk",
"syl", "sys", "tar", "uue", "wk?", "xl?", "zip", and "zoo".

Regards,
George

P.S.    Thanks Eric for the original work.  I for one appreciate it!
P.P.S.  I got my copy off the net.
--
George M. Sipe,		       Phone: (404) 447-4731
537 Lakeshore Drive, Berkeley Lake, GA  30136-3035

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James da Silva) (05/21/89)

In article <967@csed-55.IDA.ORG> roskos@ida.org (Eric Roskos) writes:
>I also posted a PD tar about a year ago, which was a modification of
>John Gilmore's PD Tar.  It had these features:
>To date I have not heard of anyone using this program, besides myself and
>a few people I gave copies to it, which is one of the reasons I no longer
>bother to post programs I write to the Usenet.

Eric,

I use your port of PDTAR on a daily basis, under both DOS and Minix.
Thanks for the work you put into it!  And of course, thanks to John
Gilmore for the original.  I use the Minix version for backing up my
Minix hard disk partitions, and under DOS for transfers to Unix and
Minix.

Personally, I would have prefered that pdtar did NOT do CR/LF
conversions; I often forget to tell it to turn off the conversion, and
end up munging Minix executables and other random binaries.  Still, I
admit that I've grow used to the feature and now enjoy the convenience
of not having to run files through a DOS-ifier.

Thanks again,
Jaime
: domain: jds@mimsy.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds