[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] MicroEmacs 3.10 bugs

darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) (05/13/89)

	I think I see a few bugs,

	1) mouse cursor disappears below the 24th line when
	using 43/50 line modes.
	I don't use mouse in 43/50 line mode.

	2) $backup went away (?)
	I ended up using a macro on the $readhook to do it.

	3) original screen colors aren't restored on exit.
	I ended up using a bat file to clean up.

	If anybody has fixes for these I'd like to get them.

--------
Darrell McGinnis				...tektronix!pogo!darrellm
Tektronix, Inc., P.O. Box 1000, MS 63-356	darrellm@pogo.TEK.COM
Wilsonville, OR 97070
(503) 685-3285
--------

abcscnuk@csuna.csun.edu (Naoto Kimura) (05/14/89)

In article <7254@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) writes:
]
]	I think I see a few bugs,
]
]	1) mouse cursor disappears below the 24th line when
]	using 43/50 line modes.
]	I don't use mouse in 43/50 line mode.

    I don't think that this is a bug in microemacs but is in the
    mouse driver.

]--------
]Darrell McGinnis				...tektronix!pogo!darrellm
]Tektronix, Inc., P.O. Box 1000, MS 63-356	darrellm@pogo.TEK.COM
]Wilsonville, OR 97070
](503) 685-3285
]--------

        4) Not microemacs itself, but a problem I encountered with the
	   box macros -- they assume you are in overwrite mode, so if
	   you already have text, the box doesn't get drawn correctly.
	   Older version that I remember using didn't seem to have this
	   problem.

	5) Not sure if it has this feature already: I'd like to be
	   able to turn on and off the automatic execution of commands
	   when I use the space bar to complete the command.

                //-n-\\			 Naoto Kimura
        _____---=======---_____		 (abcscnuk@csuna.csun.edu)
    ====____\   /.. ..\   /____====
  //         ---\__O__/---         \\	Enterprise... Surrender or we'll
  \_\                             /_/	send back your *&^$% tribbles !!

var@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Var Garapetian, Sun ECD Lumpyware) (05/15/89)

In article <7254@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) writes:

>	I think I see a few bugs,
>
>	1) mouse cursor disappears below the 24th line when
>	using 43/50 line modes.
>	I don't use mouse in 43/50 line mode.
>	[text deleted]....
I noticed this problem on a 386-clone using a Logitech mouse and an STB
VGA-Extra/EM video card but not on a Compaq Deskpro-386, with Compaq-EGA
and Manager-mouse. I would like to hear of any fixes or related pointers,
since I realy would like to be able to mouse-around.
Thanks, var.
Var Garapetian,                 Sun Microsystems, East-Coast Div.

UUCP: {hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,seismo}!sun!vgarapetian
 or   {decvax}!eagle_snax!garp!var

ARPA: vgarapetian@sun.com

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (05/16/89)

In article <668@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> var@pitstop.UUCP (Var Garapetian, Sun ECD Lumpyware) writes:
>In article <7254@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) writes:
>>
>>	I think I see a few bugs,
>>
>>	1) mouse cursor disappears below the 24th line when
>>	using 43/50 line modes.
>>	I don't use mouse in 43/50 line mode.
>>	[text deleted]....
>I noticed this problem on a 386-clone using a Logitech mouse and an STB
>VGA-Extra/EM video card but not on a Compaq Deskpro-386, with Compaq-EGA
>and Manager-mouse. I would like to hear of any fixes or related pointers,
>since I realy would like to be able to mouse-around.
>Thanks, var.

I had the same problem, and found that it was something wrong with my
Logitech driver (version 3.4). I tried an older version of the driver
(version 3.1) and the problem disappeared!

>Var Garapetian,                 Sun Microsystems, East-Coast Div.
>
>UUCP: {hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,seismo}!sun!vgarapetian
> or   {decvax}!eagle_snax!garp!var
>
>ARPA: vgarapetian@sun.com

Emil
--
Emil Granbom
Phone +46 (0)46 150065

steve@eros.ame.arizona.edu (Steve Cannon) (05/16/89)

In article <668@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> var@pitstop.UUCP (Var Garapetian, Sun ECD Lumpyware) writes:
>In article <7254@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) writes:
>>	I think I see a few bugs,

One bug I have noticed is (for IBM XT clone) that setting the HOME environ-
mental variable works for everything except the help file. Anyone else have
a problem with this? However, placing emacs.hlp in one of the searched paths
(as mentioned in emacs.txt, Appendix A) works fine.

Steve Cannon <X> UUCP: ...{uunet,allegra,cmc12,hao!noao,att}!arizona!eros!steve
AME Dept.    <XXXXXXXXXX> Internet: eros!steve@ARIZONA.EDU
University of Arizona <X> Bitnet: scannon@arizrvax
Tucson, AZ 85721      <X> Phone: +1 602 621 6091

savela@tel2.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) (05/18/89)

In article <964@amethyst.math.arizona.edu>, steve@eros.ame.arizona.edu (Steve Cannon) writes:

> One bug I have noticed is (for IBM XT clone) that setting the HOME environ-
> mental variable works for everything except the help file. Anyone else have

    I think this was already a "feature" of the previous version. I finally
got so annoyed and looked it up. For some reason the second parameter of
"flook" is FALSE, when it looks for the help file. I didn't see any
reason for it, and changed it to TRUE and at least my version 3.9e
worked fine after this. The following diff is for that version, I don't
have 3.10.

*** bind.old
--- bind.new
**************
*** 23,29
  	bp = bfind("emacs.hlp", FALSE, BFINVS);

  	if (bp == NULL) {
! 		fname = flook(pathname[1], FALSE);
  		if (fname == NULL) {
  			mlwrite("[Help file is not online]");
  			return(FALSE);
--- 23,29 -----
  	bp = bfind("emacs.hlp", FALSE, BFINVS);

  	if (bp == NULL) {
! 		fname = flook(pathname[1], TRUE);

darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) (05/19/89)

In article <668@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> var@pitstop.UUCP (Var Garapetian)...
>In article <7254@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) writes:

>>	I think I see a few bugs,
>>
>>	1) mouse cursor disappears below the 24th line when
>>	using 43/50 line modes.
>>	I don't use mouse in 43/50 line mode.
>>	[text deleted]....

>I noticed this problem on a 386-clone using a Logitech mouse and an STB
>VGA-Extra/EM video card but not on a Compaq Deskpro-386, with Compaq-EGA
>and Manager-mouse. I would like to hear of any fixes or related pointers,
>since I realy would like to be able to mouse-around.
>Thanks, var.

	well, sure enough,the problem was in the mouse driver.

	I'm using a Logitec C-7 mouse,
	the 3.02 driver I have works.
	the 3.42 driver I have works on the first 24 lines only.

	This behaves the same on a Compaq 386 and an AST 386C,
	both have a V7 Vega VGA.

	Thanks for the hints (whoever it was, I lost the follow up),
	darrell

--------
Darrell McGinnis				...tektronix!pogo!darrellm
Tektronix, Inc., P.O. Box 1000, MS 63-356	darrellm@pogo.TEK.COM
Wilsonville, OR 97070
(503) 685-3285
--------

adyer@wyse.wyse.com (Andrew Dyer x1532) (05/20/89)

Another bug in MicroEmacs... In 43-line mode smooth scroll seems to think
it's still in 24-line mode. It might be related to my mouse driver
(Logitech V. 3.42) but I doubt it...

       _/ \_
     _/     \_
    / CAUTION \
   <   .sig    >

jpdres13@usl-pc.usl.edu (Joubert John V) (05/21/89)

In article <1962@csuna.csun.edu> abcscnuk@csuna.csun.edu (Naoto Kimura) writes:
>In article <7254@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) writes:
>]	1) mouse cursor disappears below the 24th line when
>]	using 43/50 line modes.
>]	I don't use mouse in 43/50 line mode.

 I had the same problem with Microsoft Quick C, I have a Logitech Bus-Mouse
which is supposed to be hardware compatible with Microsoft Mouse.  So I loaded
the Microsoft Mouse driver that came with the Quick C program instead of
the Logitech Mouse driver.

It works fine.  If you happen to have the same mouse, this could work.
John Joubert                                      |  /\  |    /\    |     _
Internet: jpdres13@usl-pc.usl.edu                 |  \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
USENET: ...!{dalsqnt,killer}!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13  |--/|-------/|------------
Last Chance: ut-sally!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13         |  \/       \/
GEnie: J.JOUBERT

ddraper@hawk.ulowell.edu (Dave Draper) (05/28/89)

In article <1989May16.082233.29648@LTH.Se> emil@DNA.LTH.Se (Emil Granbom) writes:
>In article <668@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> var@pitstop.UUCP (Var Garapetian, Sun ECD Lumpyware) writes:
>>In article <7254@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> darrellm@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) writes:
>>>
>>>	I think I see a few bugs,
>>>
>>>	1) mouse cursor disappears below the 24th line when
>>>	using 43/50 line modes.
>>>	I don't use mouse in 43/50 line mode.
>>>	[text deleted]....
>>I noticed this problem on a 386-clone using a Logitech mouse and an STB
>>VGA-Extra/EM video card but not on a Compaq Deskpro-386, with Compaq-EGA
>>and Manager-mouse. I would like to hear of any fixes or related pointers,
>>since I realy would like to be able to mouse-around.
>>Thanks, var.
>
>I had the same problem, and found that it was something wrong with my
>Logitech driver (version 3.4). I tried an older version of the driver
>(version 3.1) and the problem disappeared!

I am using a PC Mouse optical mouse with the included Microsoft Mouse
emmulator driver installed. I have had no problems in 43 line
mode using a Paradise EGA card. I am using nansi.sys instead of
ansi.sys.

The only problem I have seen is that when I shell out to DOS
I loose the cursor and it never comes back. Right now I am
looking over the code and have a seperate assembly code program
that fixes the problem. I would like to incorporate this into
the code directly or execute the assembly program first when
shelling to DOS. If I have any luck I will send the patches and
code to Raul for him to post.

Dave Draper

There's nothing I hate more than nothing.
		-- Edie Brickell --