[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] A small, fast editor required...

pottera@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan T Potter) (05/12/89)

	It's said that computery people should never discuss politics, religion
or text handling tools.  Oh well, at risk of starting a war...  :-)

	Can anyone recommend a small, fast MS-DOS text editor?  Something
like the editor from Turbo Pascal 3, if only it didn't have the associated
paraphenalia of the Pascal compiler?

	Since this has potential to take up a lot of net bandwidth, if you
have any replies post them to me & I'll summarise.

	Thanks,
	Alan
--
|  Janet  : pottera@uk.ac.glasgow.cs        |  JH, Comp Sci Department,    |
|  USEnet : mcvax!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!pottera  |  University of Glasgow       |

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (05/17/89)

In article <2940@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> pottera@cs.glasgow.ac.uk
(Alan T Potter) writes:
>	Can anyone recommend a small, fast MS-DOS text editor?  Something
>like the editor from Turbo Pascal 3, if only it didn't have the associated
>paraphenalia of the Pascal compiler?

If you want a really small one you can anynumous ftp /pc/pd2/ted.arc
from 128.214.12.3. Another possibility is getting the shareware
editor /pc/pd2/qedt206c.arc.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

jeremy@mips.COM (Jeremy M. Schneider) (05/18/89)

I would recommend PMATE.  It's small, fast, has a command language,
and is extremely customizable.
--
Jeremy M. Schneider                     jeremy@mips.com
MIPS Computer Systems                   {ames,decwrl}!mips!jeremy

vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) (05/18/89)

In article <2940@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> pottera@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan T Potter) writes:

	   It's said that computery people should never discuss politics, religion
   or text handling tools.  Oh well, at risk of starting a war...  :-)

OK, here goes...

	   Can anyone recommend a small, fast MS-DOS text editor?  Something
   like the editor from Turbo Pascal 3, if only it didn't have the associated
   paraphenalia of the Pascal compiler?

I recommend Freemacs.  It is extremely fast for screen updates and
scrolling.  Searching is fast.  Normal editing is fast.  Loading is
so-so.  Executing kbd macros repeatedly is slow (most of freemacs is
interpreted, kbd macros double so).

Freemacs is fully customizable, is similar to GNU emacs and is FREE.
I don't know how you would get over there though, other than sending
Russ $15 (+?) to send you disks.  I am not sure it it has been posted
here (or will be) but is available for FTP here if that is of any use.

	   Since this has potential to take up a lot of net bandwidth, if you
   have any replies post them to me & I'll summarise.

My mailer doesn't know how to do .uk and I am too busy to find out
right now so I will waste oodles of bandwidth.

"Honesty without Fear" -- Kelvinator
 _____
 -----

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (05/19/89)

>   Can anyone recommend a small, fast MS-DOS text editor?  Something
>   like the editor from Turbo Pascal 3, if only it didn't have the associated
>   paraphenalia of the Pascal compiler?

A "clone" of vi (not stevie) was posted several months ago. It is a
*.com executable and edits an in-memory file. While not a perfect clone
(get the MKS Toolkit if you want real vi), it is certainly fast and
usable, and better than edlin. Then again, are there any editors worse
than edlin? :)

djm@etive.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) (05/19/89)

If you're after the editor that comes with the Borland `integrated
evironments', I was after something similar a while ago and was pointed to
`edwin', an editor available (I think) from simtel20 (I got it from the
Lancaster PD Archive here in the UK) which is based around code not a
million miles from the Borland one. It is also very configurable via a
setup program which gives access to the extensive config file.
It is pretty fast, not all that big, and does noobject to having things
like Turbo Lightning run over it (plug for TL, why isn't it more appreciated,
eh ? :-)).

Murff....

JANET: djm@uk.ac.ed.etive      Internet: djm%ed.etive@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
       Murff@uk.ac.ed.emas-a             Murff%ed.emas-a@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
       trinity@uk.ac.ed.cs.tardis        trinity%ed.cs.tardis@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
D.J. Murphy     *Artificial* intelligence ?  Evidently.....

emmonsl@csusac.uucp (L. Scott Emmons) (05/22/89)

In article <2940@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> pottera@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan T Potter) writes:
> 	   Can anyone recommend a small, fast MSDOS text editor?  Something
>    like the editor from Turbo Pascal 3, if only it didn't have the associated
>    paraphenalia of the Pascal compiler?

Qedit is the fastest, easiest, and (in my opinion) best editor I have used.  It
allows full conifiguration for all editing commands, and has popdown menus if
you prefer them to directinput commands (which it also has, of course).
It supports macros, automatic filename inclusion, and bit maps directly to CRT
RAM (scrolling & paging is instant).  There is a registration fee of some sort,
but it may be worth it...a nice editor.

			lse

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (05/23/89)

In article <1989May22.094523.7156@csusac.uucp> emmonsl@csusac.uucp (L. Scott Emmons) writes:
>In article <2940@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> pottera@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan T Potter) writes:
>> 	   Can anyone recommend a small, fast MSDOS text editor?  Something
>>    like the editor from Turbo Pascal 3, if only it didn't have the associated
>>    paraphenalia of the Pascal compiler?
>
>Qedit is the fastest, easiest, and (in my opinion) best editor I have used.  It
>allows full conifiguration for all editing commands, and has popdown menus if
>you prefer them to directinput commands (which it also has, of course).
>It supports macros, automatic filename inclusion, and bit maps directly to CRT
>RAM (scrolling & paging is instant).  There is a registration fee of some sort,
>but it may be worth it...a nice editor.
>
>			lse
	I agree completely!  I do not know what I like best about QEdit, size
speed, or configurability, but I like it alot.  It small (<80k) which means
that you can load it *very fast*.  I rarely use type and never use any of the
browse programs, because QEdit loads quick enough so that these programs are
unneeded.  All of the keyboard commands can be bound to *ANY* key.  I have
installed it on a Tandy 1000 and can used any of the "wierd" keys I want.
QEdit is also nice because you can load into memory as many files as will
fit and then switch between them.  The default configuration is basically the
same as the editor in Turbo Pascal.  It can't hurt to look at!

-----Dale
	Rogerson----

pim@unl.fctunl.rccn.pt (Pimentao) (05/24/89)

In article <2940@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> pottera@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan T Potter) writes:
> 	   Can anyone recommend a small, fast MSDOS text editor?  Something
>    like the editor from Turbo Pascal 3, if only it didn't have the associated
>    paraphenalia of the Pascal compiler?

  There is an TSR program, that, among other usefull things, such as
calculator, ASCII table, etc, as also got what is called the
'Notebook'; the idea beyond this editor was, I presume, copied from
'the good old WordStar', the editor from  where Turbo Pascal 3
'borrowed' some ideas.
  The whole editor is 'control-driven' (so to speak), just as TP3.
  Ooops, I almost forgot telling you what it is... It's name is SideKick
and it is a product from Borland.
  Recently they have released a new version, which also as an agenda,
whith an alarm clock and a lot of other things.
  The idea is that such a 'system' is memory resident, and you can
invoke it inside 'any' other application. There is, of course a side
effect, it is memory consumming...

--
------
  Joao Paulo B. Pimentao        | BITNET/Internet: pim@host.fctunl.rccn.pt

rbq@iforgetmyname.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Robert Quattlebaum) (05/24/89)

In article <2524@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) writes:
>In article <1989May22.094523.7156@csusac.uucp> emmonsl@csusac.uucp (L. Scott Emmons) writes:
>	I agree completely!  I do not know what I like best about QEdit, size
>speed, or configurability, but I like it alot.  It small (<80k) which means

[etc]

Where does one find this QEdit? Is it shareware or commercial?
If shareware, how about some pointers.

R. Quattlebaum			The above opinions are mine and are not to
"God is love, not religion"     be employed with those of my confuser.

		gatech!galbp!iforgetmyname.LBP.HARRIS.COM!rbq

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (05/25/89)

In article <2524@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) writes:
>In article <1989May22.094523.7156@csusac.uucp> emmonsl@csusac.uucp (L. Scott Emmons) writes:
>>In article <2940@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> pottera@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan T Potter) writes:
>>> 	   Can anyone recommend a small, fast MSDOS text editor?
>>
>>Qedit is the fastest, easiest, and (in my opinion) best editor I have used.
>>It allows full conifiguration for all editing commands...
	In fact, I've configured QEDIT to look remarkably like my Turbo C
	and Turbo Pascal editors.  (However, I've configured both of them,
	too.)

>I agree completely!  I do not know what I like best about QEdit, size
>speed, or configurability, but I like it alot.

	I, too, like it a lot.  However, it has two shortcomings, one
	severe and the other just an inconvenience (but who needs
	inconvenience in their editors?).

   SEVERE PROBLEM: It doesn't handle tabs at all well.  (I consider the
	ONLY proper handling of tabs to be to retain it as a single
	tab character, but display it on the screen interpreted to the
	next tab stop.  Qedit (the latest version I've seen) has three or
	four different WRONG ways to do it.

   ANNOYANCE: The Turbo editors have spoiled me with the ability to mark
	one (or more) places in the text and return to the marked place.
	Qedit does not have this feature.

I use Qedit for ordinary text editing, but the tabs problem makes it
pretty useless for programs or tables.  The inability to return to a
marked place makes it less than ideal for large text files (>200 lines).

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Middletown, NJ		|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 957 6583					|

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (05/25/89)

In article <7954@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> rbq@iforgetmyname.UUCP (Robert Quattlebaum) writes:
>In article <2524@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) writes:
>>In article <1989May22.094523.7156@csusac.uucp> emmonsl@csusac.uucp (L. Scott Emmons) writes:
>
>Where does one find this QEdit? Is it shareware or commercial?
>If shareware, how about some pointers.

QEdit is a shareware program from SemWare, and you should be able to
get it for trial from "all well-stocked BBSes".  Or you can
anonymous ftp /pc/pd2/qed206c.arc (or something like that) from our
site 128.214.12.3 at the University of Vaasa, Finland.  And, please
observe the shareware rules.  I am myself a satisfied, registered
user, even if qedit is only one of the editors I use.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/25/89)

In article <1511@mtunb.ATT.COM>, dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:
 >   SEVERE PROBLEM: It doesn't handle tabs at all well.  (I consider the
 >        ONLY proper handling of tabs to be to retain it as a single
 >        tab character, but display it on the screen interpreted to the
 >        next tab stop.  Qedit (the latest version I've seen) has three or
 >        four different WRONG ways to do it.

Agreed.  The most annoying thing about the tab handling is when you have
it set to expand tabs to spaces on-screen, but not when it saves to a file,
you can't backspace over a tab and have the cursor back up to the previous
tab space, like it should.  This is an extreme annoyance when you are
editing a C program with it, because I frequently have to go back to
the previous indentation level (maybe it's only a one-statement if, so
I don't need the braces).  With Qedit, I have to watch carefully and
make sure I hit enough backspaces to bring me back far enough, but not
too far.  If the last code that was at the previous level has scrolled
off the screen, it's time to start counting characters...

This is really the only reason I use the Turbo C integrated development
environment.  Because I have yet to find an Emacs implimentation that
comes with sufficient documentation (most of them only come with some
notes on how to use that specific version, and assume that you already
know how to use Emacs), I have not been able to learn how to use it.

Aside: The manual for MicroEmacs, which was recently posted to c.b.i.p,
did not format correctly when my printer was set for 66-line pages,
8-space tabs, and 80 characters per line.  In some places, there were
almost 90 or 95 characters in a line, and in others, there were only
about 40-50, with very large margins.  It almost looked like parts
were meant for printing in a 12cpi font, and others in a 10cpi font.

There is also another large limitation that makes Qedit less-than-perfect.
Although Qedit is very fast in going from the beginning of the file to
the end (for example), because it always loads the entire file into
memory, this limits your file size to a maximum of about 370K on a 640K
machine.  As far as I know, Qedit will not use EMS or extended memory
to hold parts of the file, or for swapping.  I would be willing to
sacrifice some speed if it could be made to use files as large as the
disk (with swapping).

Another, smaller limitation, is the fact that you have to use a separate
program to configure it.  Although this would probably add significantly
to the code size of Qedit, it would probably be worth it.

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

khc@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Ken Carpenter) (05/25/89)

I have used the editor, named SEE, that comes with the DeSmet C compiler
system for several years.  It used to be available from them as a separate
product for around $50.
SEE is small, fast, does direct screen writes, allows editing up to two
files at a time, and has only a small number of commands which can be
learned easily.  My only objection to it is that it is not available on
all the systems I use, so I plan to change over to some version of emacs
on the PC to avoid the incompatibility problem.

mgardi@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (M.Gardi - ICR) (05/30/89)

>>> 	   Can anyone recommend a small, fast MSDOS text editor?  Something
>>
>>Qedit is the fastest, easiest, and (in my opinion) best editor I have used.  It
>speed, or configurability, but I like it alot.  It small (<80k) which means
>that you can load it *very fast*.  I rarely use type and never use any of the

I think you should take a look at UEd (pd1:<msdos.editor>ued.arc).

If you are looking for a very good compromise between size (34K), speed
(writes to RAM, etc), price ($20 shareware), power (used by about
20 C programmers where I work, features up to 9 files, wordwrap etc.)
AND very easy to use (I've had people editing comfortably inside of 20 mins)
then Ued is worth a try.

bruce

bruce Wilson                  | "what you don't spend you don't have to earn..."
zeexsun@watshine.waterloo.edu |    from Blake (a film by Bill Mason)