[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: PL/M-80 compiler

FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) (05/16/89)

Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?

Intel does not sell one, and we need one bad. We have old
code to maintain, and converting it to some other language
doesn't sound like fun to me...

|  Esa Heinonen, University of Turku, Finland  |
|  Bitnet:   FYS-EH at FINTUVM                 |
|  Internet: FYS-EH at FINTUVM.UTU.FI    or    |
|            FYS-EH at MAMMUTTI.UTU.FI         |

davidsen@sungod.steinmetz (William Davidsen) (05/17/89)

In article <808FYS-EH@FINTUVM> FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) writes:
| Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
| or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?
|
| Intel does not sell one, and we need one bad. We have old
| code to maintain, and converting it to some other language
| doesn't sound like fun to me...

Here's how to do it... there is an emulator program which allows you to
run CP/M-80 programs on a PC. There is a free version and a commercial
version, and I can dig up the free version if you can't find it locally.
There is also a program which allows running ISIS software under
CP/M-80. I believe you could combine these two and do what you want,
assuming that you originally developed this stuff on the ISIS PL/M-80.

This is really old stuff, but I guess if you really don't want to
rewrite you could do it. Post to the cpm and intel groups looking for
this stuff.

| ------------------------------------------------
| |  Esa Heinonen, University of Turku, Finland  |
| ------------------------------------------------
| |  Bitnet:   FYS-EH at FINTUVM                 |
| |  Internet: FYS-EH at FINTUVM.UTU.FI    or    |
| |            FYS-EH at MAMMUTTI.UTU.FI         |
| ------------------------------------------------

	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (05/17/89)

In article <808FYS-EH@FINTUVM> FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
>or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?
>
>Intel does not sell one, and we need one bad. We have old
>code to maintain, and converting it to some other language
>doesn't sound like fun to me...

There's a company down in Florida that sells some products to let
you run old ISIS (8080) programs on ordinary PCs.  I've been using
it at work for a few years.  Anything is better than the dreaded
blue boxes.

The company is
	Micro Interfaces
	16359 N.W. 57th Ave.
	Hialeah, Florida (USA) 33014
	(305) 623-9262
	1-800-637-7226
	Telex 5106004680 MICRO INTER CO.

I think an older address is:
	Micro Interfaces Corporation
	Suite #200, 18590 N.W. 67th Avenue
	Miami, Florida  33015
	(305) 823-8088

There programs love to begin each listing file with their stupid
header.  It really annoys me.  To stop their program from generating
the stupid headers, use debug to find LST in the .EXE files and change
it to lst (lowercase).

Good luck, I hope this makes it all the way back to Europe.
--
Jim Prior    jep@oink    osu-cis!n8emr!oink!jep    N8KSM

vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) (05/18/89)

In article <808FYS-EH@FINTUVM> FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) writes:

   Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
   or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?

   Intel does not sell one, and we need one bad. We have old
   code to maintain, and converting it to some other language
   doesn't sound like fun to me...

   |  Esa Heinonen, University of Turku, Finland  |

I believe Intel *does* sell one for MS-DOS.  I was consulting for a
company and was working on getting them to get it.  I don't think it
was cheap, though.  Somewhere just this side of $1K.  Call your Intel
rep again...

"Like a clock, they sent, through, a washing machine:
 come around, make it soon, so alone." -- Syd Barrett
 _____
|     | Johnathan Vail | tegra!N1DXG@ulowell.edu
|Tegra| (508) 663-7435 | N1DXG@145.110-,145.270-,444.2+,448.625-
 -----

kenner@guardian.UUCP (Ken Reese) (05/18/89)

A company called RTCS made an ISIS emulator that runs under MS-DOS.
I've seen it used to run several ISIS-based translators and compilers.  If
the company is still in business it would probably be the best bet for
running any ISIS software.

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (05/18/89)

In article <208@guardian.UUCP> guardian!kenner@intelhf.hf.intel.com (Ken Reese) writes:
>A company called RTCS made an ISIS emulator that runs under MS-DOS.
>I've seen it used to run several ISIS-based translators and compilers.  If
>the company is still in business it would probably be the best bet for
>running any ISIS software.

We have it here.  It's screwy as hell.  They must have really worked hard to
come up with some of their bugs.  When we run a particular assembler, it
barfs under ISIM, unless the command line argument file names are of
different lengths!  I didn't make this up.  I don't trust ISIM.
--
Jim Prior    jep@oink    osu-cis!n8emr!oink!jep    N8KSM

gerry@lethe.UUCP (Gerry) (05/19/89)

In article <26@oink.UUCP>, jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) writes:
> In article <808FYS-EH@FINTUVM> FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) writes:
> >Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
> >or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?
> >
> >Intel does not sell one, and we need one bad. We have old
> >code to maintain, and converting it to some other language
> >doesn't sound like fun to me...
>
> There's a company down in Florida that sells some products to let
> you run old ISIS (8080) programs on ordinary PCs.  I've been using
>
> The company is
> 	Micro Interfaces
>	< addresses and discussion deleted >

As memeory serves Digital Research used PL/M to develop CP/Ms and they offered
their version on a number of platforms.  Later they even came out with PL/1
(subset G) on CP/M machines and PCs.  With this background they're certainly
worth querying.

The only address I have for them is from my CP/M-86 documentation circa '83.
Here it is:

	Digital Research
	P.O. Box 579
	160 Central Avenue
	Pacific Grove, CA  93950
	U.S.A.

	408-649-3896

With some luck, you may be able to locate one of the European reps with some
knowledge of the product.

Good hunting,
ger

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (05/19/89)

In article <507@atlas.tegra.UUCP> vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) writes:
>In article <808FYS-EH@FINTUVM> FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) writes:
>   Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
>   or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?
>
>   Intel does not sell one, ...
>
>I believe Intel *does* sell one for MS-DOS.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Intel sells PL/M-80 to run on
MS-DOS, since where I work, we bought PL/M-51 compiler to run under
MS-DOS.

BEWARE, the MS-DOS version of the PL/M-51 compiler we bought had some
sort of copy protection scheme that screwed up our hard disk.  One
feller lost a lot of work and time because of it.  We found it to be
unusable and had to go back to the old blue box version.  Intel
refused to return our money.  We got burned.  I think we lost a couple
grand to Intel, and the only thing we gained was a screwed up hard disk.
I'm very leary of Intel's software any more.  Good luck
--
Jim Prior    jep@oink    osu-cis!n8emr!oink!jep    N8KSM

asgard@cpro.uucp (J.R. Stoner) (05/20/89)

From article <26@oink.UUCP>, by jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior):
> In article <808FYS-EH@FINTUVM> FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) writes:
>>Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
>>or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?
>>
>>Intel does not sell one, and we need one bad. We have old
>>code to maintain, and converting it to some other language
>>doesn't sound like fun to me...

You have specified "MS-DOG machine" and not running MS-DOG.  I suggest you
consider the PL/M-80 compiler associated with CP/M-xx for execution under
Concurrent DOS.  The CDOS is available from Digital Research and the
compiler is available from Alexander and Lord.
--
				| J.R. (May the Source be With You) Stoner
"Dying is easy -		| {amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!pacbell!cpro!asgard
	Comedy is hard."	| asgard@cpro.uucp	asgard@well.uucp
				| asgard@wotan.uucp	asgard@fafner.uucp

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (05/21/89)

A PLM80 compiler written in FORTRAN is available from SIMTEL20 as:

   PD2:<CPM.MISC>PLM80.ARK

The ARK is the same as ARC, just named that way to indicate it's for
CP/M.

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (05/24/89)

In article <808FYS-EH@FINTUVM>, FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) writes:
> Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
> or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?

> |  Esa Heinonen, University of Turku, Finland  |

I think that you will discover PL/M to be a language totally
unsupported outside INTEL itself.  Certainly, PL/M has been a very
popular language, widely used for micro development.  Yet go to any
bookstore and you won't find one tutorial on it.  And I know of no
commercial compilers for it other than those marketed by Intel.

The problem is with Intel, not with PL/M.  My experience with Intel
marketeers has been that the company claims that it supports openness
(C, UNIX, etc) yet at the same time tries to push us developers
onto  their proprietary s/w solutions : PL/M, iRMx, you name it.  Clearly,
the drive is to lock one into their products and gouge us with high
license fees.   And heaven help the person who tries to clone any of
their stuff.  It's lawsuit city.  (I can understand how Intel and IBM
have become so friendly. They understand one another.)

That's too bad too, because I personally find PL/M to be a good
language.  But who wants non-portable software these days, and a language
tied directly to one vendor's product line?  If I'm writing a one-time
application on an embedded system, PL/M may seem appropriate.  But
for anything that has to last over the long term, possibly on future
hardware platforms, I'm forced to use C.

kirkd@ism780c.isc.com (Kirk Davis) (05/25/89)

In article <507@atlas.tegra.UUCP> vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) writes:
>In article <808FYS-EH@FINTUVM> FYS-EH@FINTUVM.BITNET (Esa Heinonen) writes:
>
>   Does anyone know if there is a PL/M-80 compiler (commercial
>   or otherwise) for use in MS-DOS machines?

You may want to give RTCS Corp. a call (805)-987-9781. They make a OS that
rides on top of DOS that allows you to run intels compilers under it. As well
as alot of other interesting products like RMX for the pc.

---
-kbd- (kirkd@ism780.ism.com)

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (05/27/89)

In article <2593@lethe.UUCP>, gerry@lethe.UUCP (Gerry) writes:

> As memeory serves Digital Research used PL/M to develop CP/Ms and they offered
> their version on a number of platforms.  Later they even came out with PL/1
> (subset G) on CP/M machines and PCs.  With this background they're certainly
> worth querying.

DRI is still in business, but they are now into things like GEM and
Concurrent DOS.  They haven't been in the language business for some
time - I'm not even sure that they will sell you anything;  it will
certainly not have been worked on in several years ...

PL/M is related to PL/I only in some of the low-level syntax.  The
high-level syntax and the semantics are quite different.  I'm not
sure that DRI ever marketed a PL/M compiler, though Gary Kildall did
write the first Intel PL/M compiler and used the language quite a bit
in CP/M.

The PL/I compiler that DRI had for the 8080 and 8086 was a far cry from
a Subset G PL/I compiler- it was more like Fortran with semicolens and
structures (RECORDs for you Pascal types).  It was also full of
horrible bugs and only supported the small model.  I have had the
misfortune to have to convert a significant amount of code from real
Subset G compilers to the DRI PL/I compiler and take my word for it,
you don't want it if you can possibly avoid it.

						Bruce C. Wright

asgard@cpro.uucp (J.R. Stoner) (05/27/89)

From article <2985@rti.UUCP>, by bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright):
; In article <2593@lethe.UUCP>, gerry@lethe.UUCP (Gerry) writes:
;> As memeory serves Digital Research used PL/M to develop CP/Ms and they
;> offered their version on a number of platforms.  Later they even came out
;> with PL/1 (subset G) on CP/M machines and PCs.  With this background they're
;> certainly worth querying.

And also still uses PL/M for significant portions of CDOS-XM and CDOS-386
code.

; DRI is still in business, but they are now into things like GEM and
; Concurrent DOS.  They haven't been in the language business for some
; time - I'm not even sure that they will sell you anything;  it will
; certainly not have been worked on in several years ...

Language products and other "discontinued" items are available for sale from
Alexander and Lord.  You also go to A&L for ACCESS Manager (B-trees to the
washed).  A&L, coincidentally, is also in Monterey.

; PL/M is related to PL/I only in some of the low-level syntax.  The
; high-level syntax and the semantics are quite different.  I'm not
; sure that DRI ever marketed a PL/M compiler, though Gary Kildall did
; write the first Intel PL/M compiler and used the language quite a bit
; in CP/M.

; The PL/I compiler that DRI had for the 8080 and 8086 was a far cry from
; a Subset G PL/I compiler- it was more like Fortran with semicolens and
; structures (RECORDs for you Pascal types).  It was also full of
; horrible bugs and only supported the small model.  I have had the
; misfortune to have to convert a significant amount of code from real
; Subset G compilers to the DRI PL/I compiler and take my word for it,
; you don't want it if you can possibly avoid it.

My misfortun, too.  One of my projects when I was with CompuPro was to
completely rewrite the CP/M-86 STAT program from PL/M to C.  Just 'orrible.
I also had to fix the bug of what happens when you run STAT on other than
CP/M-86 or MP/M-86.  That is when I learned All The Directory FCB Formats
From Hell.
--

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (05/31/89)

In article <208@guardian.UUCP> guardian!kenner@intelhf.hf.intel.com (Ken Reese) writes:
>A company called RTCS made an ISIS emulator that runs under MS-DOS.

I missed the original posting so I can't use email.  A few years ago I
wrote an ISIS emulator for MS-DOS that runs Intel's PL/M-80, ASM-80,
LINK-80, etc.  There's a version for the NEC V20, which makes use
of the 8080 emulation feature in that CPU, and one that runs on
any old 8088, 286, 386, etc.  The V20 emulator is about as fast
as the 386 version.  If you would like the source and executable
for this program, I'd be happy to mail it out.
--
Mark Alexander	(amdahl!drivax!alexande)