[net.followup] Air raid on Libya :-) :-) :-)

mnl@cernvax.UUCP (mnl) (05/04/86)

In article <1123@erix.UUCP> mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) writes:
>One result of the recent Libian / USA confrontation appears to be the
>decrease in American tourists coming to Europe. This will have severe
>consequences on a large group of Europeans.
>
> :-) [list of people affected by the lack of rich inconsiderate
>      Americans]

>P.P.P.S
>Is it much safer to walk the streets of a European city (even with the
>threats of being blown up by a terrorist bomb) than walk the streets of
>an American city where one risks being killed by a (non terrorist) gun
>touting 'defender of democracy' (c.f. 50 Americans/year killed by
>terrorists, 17,000 killed by hand guns!)?

You miss the whole point.  Being shot by a hand-gun is an all-American
way to die.  Why else did they just weaken the 1968 (?) hand-gun
control law?  It's obvious--not enough Americans are being shot to
death.(:-)  (Actually, I think it is a good sign.  One of the things
which prompted the passing of stricter gun laws in the 1960's was
President Kennedy's assasination--with a gun bought by mail order. Now
we've had an unsuccesful assasination attempt against Reagan in 1982,
so they are weakening those laws. :-)

An ex-patriate American (temporarily)

--
Mark Nelson

mnl@cernvax.bitnet or ...!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!mnl
"This function is occasionally useful as the arguement to a function
which requires a function as an arguement."  Guy Steele

sjr@inset.UUCP (Sally Rutter) (05/06/86)

In article <1123@erix.UUCP> mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) writes:
>One result of the recent Libian / USA confrontation appears to be the
>decrease in American tourists coming to Europe.

>In fact things are looking up. In fact I suspect that the Lybian bombing were
>part of a much larger plot by the educated Americans to keep the worst types
>of American tourists out of Europe, so that the majority of decent Americans
>can enjoy Europe by themselves.

Perhaps it's a European plot to keep *all* the Americans out :-).
Have you tried living in York/Oxford recently?

One side effect Mike didn't mention: tartan trousers should be
really cheap this Autumn, following over-production for a non-existent
market.