[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help: Grounding against static

pdccs@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Patrick Champion) (05/26/89)

	Hi.  I have a hardware related question but did not know where to
post it, so here it is.

	I am getting a pc clone.  I have already ordered a surge suppressor
that protects against EMI, surges, and whatnot.  My question is, I am
going to have this PC in a tower case on the side of the desk, but the
keyboard and monitor will be on the desk.  The desk is all metal.  Do I need
a static mat under the keyboard or can I just connect the desk to the
radiator in the room with a wire.  Also, if I wire the desk to the radiator
I heard that I should connect it through a 10,000 or so ohm resistor. Is
this true???

A paranoid software developer getting his first home computer,
Patrick Champion

santol@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (shawn.r.antol) (06/01/89)

Patrick Champion writes:
>	I am getting a pc clone.  I have already ordered a surge suppressor
>that protects against EMI, surges, and whatnot.  My question is, I am
>going to have this PC in a tower case on the side of the desk, but the
>keyboard and monitor will be on the desk.  The desk is all metal.  Do I need
>a static mat under the keyboard or can I just connect the desk to the
>radiator in the room with a wire.  Also, if I wire the desk to the radiator
>I heard that I should connect it through a 10,000 or so ohm resistor. Is
>this true???

       Congrats on the clone.

   A surge suppressor does not protect "against" EMI (electro magnetic
   radiation) but it does help prevent your machine from "creating" it.
   The majority of the surge suppressors on the market today are really
   nothing more than an extension cord with multiple tap-offs on the end.
   Not much protection...
   "It is my opinion" that anything under $30 isn't worth the money.
   Check the specification sheets (spec. sheets) for response time and
   power dissipation of "your" surge suppressor.

   If you are trying to prevent damage due to everyday lightning strikes on
   the AC power line, one of the most effective AND CHEAPEST methods is as
   follows:   ( but it takes some time/work on your part and may void your
   warranty 8-( )

   Basic Info:
   A varistor is a device that changes it reactance (think of it as resistance
   for now) as the voltage across it changes. Varistors are the primary
   component in any surge supressor. The better the varistor, the better the
   protection.  The two main parameters in choosing a varistor is the response
   time and power dissipation.

   You will need three of them (total)
		   	1 General Electric (GE) V130LA10A
			2    "       "          V130LA2
Connect the one V130LA10A device between the "hot" prong and "neutral" prong
Connect the two V130LA2 devices:  One between the "hot" prong and "gnd" prong
		          and One between the "neutral" prong and "gnd" prong
The word "prong" above refers to the three prongs on your power cord. Attach
the varistors inside the power supply casing where they will be enclosed for
your safety.
The parts should cost you no more than $5.00 and are very effecient.
If you are even the slightest bit sqeemish about soldering stuff to your new
PC, get some experienced help. It is quite easy and can save you lots of $$$.

Now on to the static mat...

You didn't state in your letter what material your floor was made out of...
Carpeting and tile floors are the worst. Also your shoes have a lot to do
with it... in one sentence STATIC is dependant on the environment...

However, you do not need static pads, floor mats, grounding cables, etc if you
do not have a static problem.  Static is most prevalent in the winter months of
the year when it is dry. If you reach out to touch the door knob and any kind
of a spark is there to greet you, your environment does have a static problem.
If there is not spark, then you have no static "problem".

The LAW is you can NEVER completely GET RID OF STATIC.

As for grounding the metal desk to the radiator, you don't need to do it.
Give who-ever recommended that you use a 10K ohm resistor an applause. The
resistor is there to protect you from electrocution.

                                 Voltage (V)
Using Ohm's Law, Current (I) =  --------------     or I = V/R
                                Resistance (R)

With the 10K Ohm resistor, the current would be limited to

                          120 Volts
                          ---------      or   12 milli amps
                          10,000 Ohms

You get more current out of a nine volt battery (look out kids!).

In conclusion, I feel that you do not need any static protective devices to
protect your PC (because it is on the metal desk AND you didn't indicate that
you HAD a static problem), in addition you should have some form of surge
suppression which you already purchased.  Good luck and happy hacking!

Shawn Antol
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, IL.
312-979-5622
Email address:    att!ihlpb!santol

My employer and I are in no way responsible for damage and/or losses due to
the use and/or misuse of the above information.  In addition, the opinions
stated above are mine solely, and in no way reflect those of my employer.

pdccs@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Patrick Champion) (06/03/89)

	To clear a few things up...

	The "surge supressor" is an Inland ProGuard 3.  It has 3 mode
protection.  It uses cascaded diodes, gas discharge tubes (probably one),
and their own multi function ceramics which are supposed to have a
better life-time and response than varistors.

	The response time is under 5 pico seconds.  The voltage clamps at
205 volts.  The thing will take up to 2.5 million watts of power.  Each
mode absorbs 60 joules, resulting in 180 joules being absorbed.  Oh yes,
and it of course has a circuit breaker for surges. The thing has a 25
year warranty.  They will even pay the cost of fixing dammaged equipment
if it can be shown to have been damaged static, etc. going through the
protector.

Please do not construe the above to be an advertisement for Inland.  I am
in no way related to them.  I am only buying the product via a mail order
house.  I just think that the product seems to be a good product.  With
a near irresistable warrantee.

	Yes.  I did a bit of research before I bought the thing.  So
it does protect against EMI/RF, surge, and spikes.

	Yes.  My environment is staticy.  During winter I can get a nice
long half inch visible ZAP when I run my shoes across the carpet and touch
the radiator.  Also, if I take off an acrylic sweater and turn off the lights
I can watch a light show of static with dim arcs over a foot in length.

	The rug covers most of the floor.

	How's that for static!

	My worry was:
			When I ground my self to the desk, that the static
would cross over into the keyboard or monitor and conduct down into the
computer off the side of the desk.

	My second worry was whether a 10,000 ohm resistor was too high or
too low in resistence to effectively ground out the desk.  If it was too
low of a resistance then I might get mild electorcution during summer storms
when I had the computer off but was working at the desk.  If I had the
resistance to low, then the static might not be able to bleed off the
resistor before it jumped overcame the resistance of the plastic insulating
the keyboard and cables and jumped into the computer.

	I guess WHAT I really want is to find out a reasonably "idea"
resistance value.  And if I should use static mats, and where.

Patrick Champion