[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] COM-to-COM file transfer?

jaksa@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Rob Jaksa) (05/31/89)

I remember seeing a program written to allow two PC compatibles
to transfer files via their RS232 (COM) ports.  Does anyone know
what this program is called and from where I could ftp it?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Jaksa
---------
jaksa@cpswh.cps.msu.edu	ARPANET
..uunet!frith!jaksa	UUCP
jaksa@msuegr		BITNET

hv@chyde.uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (06/01/89)

In article <3220@cps3xx.UUCP>, jaksa@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Rob Jaksa) writes:
> I remember seeing a program written to allow two PC compatibles
> to transfer files via their RS232 (COM) ports.  Does anyone know
> what this program is called and from where I could ftp it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob Jaksa

You can try comsend pgm which you can ftp by anonymous login from
University of Vaasa, Finland. IP address is 128.214.12.3
File is located in /pub/pc/pd/comm

--
	Harri Valkama			: email:  hv@chyde.uwasa.fi
Computer Centre, University of Vaasa	: voice:  +358 61 248426 (work)

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (06/01/89)

In article <3220@cps3xx.UUCP> jaksa@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Rob Jaksa) writes:
>I remember seeing a program written to allow two PC compatibles
>to transfer files via their RS232 (COM) ports.  Does anyone know
>what this program is called and from where I could ftp it?

The program you are looking for is available from SIMTEL20 as
PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>ZIP130.ARC

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/01/89)

In article <3220@cps3xx.UUCP> jaksa@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Rob Jaksa) writes:
>I remember seeing a program written to allow two PC compatibles
>to transfer files via their RS232 (COM) ports.  Does anyone know
>what this program is called and from where I could ftp it?

There are many such programs, some specialized entirely for this
purpose.  One non-specialized (= slower) solution is to use a
communications program (such as Procomm or Telix) at each end of the
transfer.  If you do not have large amounts of data to be
transferred, this solution is adequate.  If you want more
information about this option ftp /pc/ts/tspfon29.arc from
University of Vaasa, Finland, 128.214.12.3.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/02/89)

>I remember seeing a program written to allow two PC compatibles
>to transfer files via their RS232 (COM) ports.  Does anyone know
>what this program is called and from where I could ftp it?

zip.

It's on simtel20 or write me for a copy.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
Davis, California  95616
916-752-1636 (2300-0800 PDT for FAX)
916-752-0776 (secretary)
ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck (email)
cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	(request ucdked, login as guest)

mike@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Michael James Porter) (06/05/89)

We found that MS-Kermit 2.32 worked very well for this.  We couldn't
get the zip program to do the transfer due to line errors (the
cables weren't too good).  Kermit received many errors too, but
it was always able to recover from them.

The fastest way seems to be:

Set the send and receive packet sizes to 1000 on both matchines.  Try
baud rates from 115200 to 38400 untill you get a resonable number
of retrys.  We were getting about 25% retries at 115200.

Kermit is available from cunixc.columbia.edu (I think !)

				Mike Porter

mike@vax1.acs.udel.edu