[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] postscript on an epson?

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) (05/21/89)

I'm looking, somewhat in vain, for a rather handy program I once came
across on a BBS but which I did not have the brains to pick up.

What it did, simply, was dump a postscript file onto an Epson compatible
printer using one of the high-density graphics modes.

My question is, has anybody out there seen this program? I know there
are a few PD PS viewers around, but I'd rather not actually canabalize
one of them just for this, as all I really want to use this thing for is
to compare on-campus laser output to what I'd get off my Epson-compat.,
etc.

Thanks in advance, Zach Smith (zs04@andrew.cmu.edu)

djm@etive.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) (05/22/89)

In article <4YRgapS00V4I8B9ktE@andrew.cmu.edu> zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:

>I'm looking, somewhat in vain, for a rather handy program I once came
>across on a BBS but which I did not have the brains to pick up.
>
>What it did, simply, was dump a postscript file onto an Epson compatible
>printer using one of the high-density graphics modes.
>
>My question is, has anybody out there seen this program? I know there
>are a few PD PS viewers around, but I'd rather not actually canabalize
>one of them just for this, as all I really want to use this thing for is
>to compare on-campus laser output to what I'd get off my Epson-compat.,
>etc.
>
>Thanks in advance, Zach Smith (zs04@andrew.cmu.edu)

Me too ! If it is available, could someone mail it to me uuencoded please ?

Murff....

JANET: djm@uk.ac.ed.etive      Internet: djm%ed.etive@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
       Murff@uk.ac.ed.emas-a             Murff%ed.emas-a@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
       trinity@uk.ac.ed.cs.tardis        trinity%ed.cs.tardis@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
D.J. Murphy     *Artificial* intelligence ?  Evidently.....

In article <2102@etive.ed.ac.uk] djm@etive.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) writes:
]In article <4YRgapS00V4I8B9ktE@andrew.cmu.edu] zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:
]]
]]
]]I'm looking, somewhat in vain, for a rather handy program I once came
]]across on a BBS but which I did not have the brains to pick up.
]]
]]What it did, simply, was dump a postscript file onto an Epson compatible
]]printer using one of the high-density graphics modes.
]]
]]My question is, has anybody out there seen this program? I know there
]]are a few PD PS viewers around, but I'd rather not actually canabalize
]]one of them just for this, as all I really want to use this thing for is
]]to compare on-campus laser output to what I'd get off my Epson-compat.,
]]etc.
]]
]]Thanks in advance, Zach Smith (zs04@andrew.cmu.edu)
]
]
]Me too ! If it is available, could someone mail it to me uuencoded please ?
]
]
]Murff....
]
]JANET: djm@uk.ac.ed.etive      Internet: djm%ed.etive@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
]       Murff@uk.ac.ed.emas-a             Murff%ed.emas-a@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
]       trinity@uk.ac.ed.cs.tardis        trinity%ed.cs.tardis@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
]D.J. Murphy     *Artificial* intelligence ?  Evidently.....

If someone would be so kind as to post a filename and ftp address?

Bill
su@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu

(I promise to create an interesting .signature someday.)

brownpc@sunne.steinmetz (paul brown) (05/24/89)

In article <2102@etive.ed.ac.uk> djm@etive.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) writes:
>In article <4YRgapS00V4I8B9ktE@andrew.cmu.edu> zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:
>>I'm looking ... for a program I once came
>>across on a BBS ... [that] dump[ed] a postscript file onto an Epson compatible
>>printer using one of the high-density graphics modes.

I would like a copy of this also.  It might be worth posting where to find this in general,
since this is the third request for this to apear on the network.
If it is available, please email to brownpc@crd.ge.com (and
tell me how to de-code it - I'm a novice at this!)

My thanks in advance!

Paul C. Brown - brownpc@crd.ge.com

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (05/25/89)

In article <2102@etive.ed.ac.uk> djm@etive.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) writes:
>In article <4YRgapS00V4I8B9ktE@andrew.cmu.edu> zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:
>>
>>What it did, simply, was dump a postscript file onto an Epson compatible
>>printer using one of the high-density graphics modes.
>>

>Me too ! If it is available, could someone mail it to me uuencoded please ?

Me three!

Please email it to me.

Thanks,
                   Michael

13001_6035@uwovax.uwo.ca (05/26/89)

In article <2610@solo3.cs.vu.nl>, msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) writes:
> In article <2102@etive.ed.ac.uk> djm@etive.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) writes:
>>In article <4YRgapS00V4I8B9ktE@andrew.cmu.edu> zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:
>>>
>>>What it did, simply, was dump a postscript file onto an Epson compatible
>>>printer using one of the high-density graphics modes.
>>>

>>Me too ! If it is available, could someone mail it to me uuencoded please ?
>
> Me three!

Me four!   Would it not be better to post such a useful
prog to some FTP site like grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, so all
the people who want it could get it.  Failing that, please
mail it to me.  I use GNUPLOT and it supports only a post-
script printer.

mguyott@mirror.UUCP (Marc Guyott) (05/26/89)

In article <4YRgapS00V4I8B9ktE@andrew.cmu.edu> zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:

>What it did, simply, was dump a postscript file onto an Epson compatible
>printer using one of the high-density graphics modes.

There is a company called LaserGo, Inc. in San Diego who sell a PostScript
language interpreter for IBM PCs.  This software is advertised as allowing
you to print PostScript files on almost* any printer.

*Includes Drivers for: NEC Pinwriter; HP LaserJet, DeskJet, PaintJet;
Canon LBP-811, BubbleJet BJ130; Epson LQ and FX; Toshiba 24-Pin; Fujitsu DL
24-Pin; Panasonic KX 24-Pin; IBM ProPrinter, Quickwriter, Quietwriter.

The software costs $195.00 with 13 fonts and $395.00 with 35 fonts.  The
number to order is 800-451-0088 (outside Calif.) and the number for
information is 619-530-2400.

We will probably be purchasing this software but we have not yet done so.
I have no idea how well it works (or doesn't work) but it sounds like it
might be what so many people seem to be looking for.

                                                Marc
----
              "All my life I always wanted to BE somebody.
               I see now I should have been more specific."
                             Jane Wagner
Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) (05/26/89)

How-do. I'm the original poster (poster: one who posts) of this inquiry
regarding dumping PS files onto ye old dilapidated Epson-style printers.
Several people have replied saying if I find anything please email them
a copy, and well, so far I have found nothing for dumping PS files.

I have, however, found at least one dvi-to-Epson dumper in the simtel20
archives. I mention this of course for those people who did not already
know of these programs (duh). For myself that's just as good.

The file of importance is (I think) DOSTEX1.ARC in the PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>
directory.

Hope this helps some of you.

-Zach

kjeld@iesd.dk (Kjeld Flarup) (05/26/89)

So You want to do postscript on an Epson. Here is a possible way to do it.

Find somebody using a DeskTop program like Ventura Publisher or Page Maker.
These programs are capable of taking almost any kind of graphichs in and
print it out again on any printer. My self I use Ventura for output
generator for GEM draw because i don't like the GEM output program.

Kjeld Flarup Christensen | "I'am now twentyseven times older than the universe
kjeld@iesd.dk            | itself." Marvin the depressed Robot.
--

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (05/26/89)

In article <2237@uwovax.uwo.ca> 13001_6035@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>In article <2610@solo3.cs.vu.nl>, msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) writes:

>>>Me too ! If it is available, could someone mail it to me uuencoded please ?
>>
>> Me three!
>>
>Me four!   Would it not be better to post such a useful
>prog to some FTP site like grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, so all
>the people who want it could get it.  Failing that, please
>mail it to me.  I use GNUPLOT and it supports only a post-
>script printer.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, don't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no FTP-access, so that means I still don't have it.

If this happens, can somebody please send me
the program anyway?

(Of course, if anyone knows a fileserver
for the site it's posted to, it will help me too.)

Thank you very much,

                                  Michael.

brown@m.cs.uiuc.edu (05/28/89)

/* Written  2:23 am  May 26, 1989 by kjeld@iesd.dk in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */
Find somebody using a DeskTop program like Ventura Publisher or Page Maker.
These programs are capable of taking almost any kind of graphichs in and
print it out again on any printer. My self I use Ventura for output
generator for GEM draw because i don't like the GEM output program.
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d */

    If I remember correctly, Ventura is not capable of reading in a raw
Postscript file and displaying it.  "Image" files (ie.  .PCX) and your GEM
Draw files are a somewhat different matter (and are easily handled by
Ventura).  As for printing, Ventura's print quality on an Epson dot matrix
printer is terrible--Ventura identifies it as a "draft" mode, and they
arn't kidding.  Besides, at $500+, Ventura's a pretty expensive printer
driver.  :-)

	William Brown
	brown@cs.uiuc.edu

geof@apolling (Geof Cooper) (06/06/89)

There are several products that do this.  The one I worked on (so I
think it's best) is called QMS UltraScript PC, distributed by "The
Laser Connection".  Not free, but not overly expensive either.  Runs
very well on a 1MB PC/AT.  Other products exist too, some work well and
some work not so well.

- Geof