[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] FRACTINT how fast is it if you have 387 or 387 and wietek?

rmarks@KSP.Unisys.COM (Richard Marks) (06/06/89)

In article <23096@srcsip.UUCP> rogers@falcon.UUCP (Brynn Rogers) writes:
>It seems like the fractint goes at great lengths to run integer only.
>We have a 386/20 here with both the 387 and the wietek FP accelerator here.
>it seems like the right fractint on this machine should smoke.

I posted FRACTINT for the author, Bert Tyler.  The 32 bit integer
arithmetic goes faster than the 387.  I forget the exact speed ratio
but I think it is 6 times faster.  In fact Bert originally got
interested in the fractle program when he got a version that used
the FP processor and tried various ways to speed it up.

Richard Marks