[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Getting Files

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/09/89)

In article <5718@hubcap.clemson.edu> kaires@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert G Kaires) writes:
>"zooed".  The question is where can I get this zoo program.  I tried
>FTPing to Clarkson and downloaded something called zoo201.exe using
>type "binaries" (or was it "binary"). Anyway something was downloaded.
>It crashes my 'puter hard (have to do a cold boot).  Any help is

zoo201.exe is available also from University of Vaasa, Finland
128.214.12.3, but there should be NOTHING wrong with what
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu 128.153.13.196 have.

It seems that many users have problems in transferring files from
their host to their PC after obtaining a file from
comp.binaries.ibm.pc or after getting a file by anonymous ftp.  Very
often the problem is that the user fails to set Kermit file transfer
options correctly, and the transferred file appears damage, even if
the original file is completely ok.  Also there seems to be
recurring confusion how to obtain files by anonymous ftp.

Perhaps the enclosed prerecorded message will help some of the
users.  The message describes how to first get my own PD programs by
anonymous ftp from University of Vaasa, Finland.  And then there is
a description of transferring the file to one's PC.  The same
principles apply for other files and other sites as well.

Please notice that if you want to obtain files from Simtel20
26.2.0.74 by ftp, you will have to give the command "tenex" in
addition to what is described below.

------------------- begin prerecorded message ----------------------

Obtaining the PD Programs by Timo Salmi via InterNet

   You can obtain the file(s) from chyde.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.3)
using the InterNet ftp (file transfer program) with username
"anonymous". For a login password use your electronic mail address.
If you are using ftp from a VAX/VMS system, set case lower before
proceeding.

   The files are in directory /pc/ts. At the ftp> prompt first type
binary (for binary files). To go to the relevant directory apply cd
/pc/ts. To see its contents apply ls or dir. To download a file, use
get filename or mget filenames. The files have been packed with
PKPAK so you will need PKUNPAK from PKWARE to unpack them in your
PC.

   The following contains the same information by giving the
commands needed for transferring tsarc17.txt (contains a summary of
the programs) and tspfon29.arc as an example. In the example its is
assumed that you are calling from a Unix system. The usage for a
VAX/VMS system is quite similar.
   It is recommended that you first get the files 0contents and
tsarc17.txt (or later version) for more information.

ftp                   #Invoke the file transfer program
open 128.214.12.3     #Connect to chyde.uwasa.fi at the University
                      #of Vaasa
anonymous             #Use this name to get temporary privileges
Give your email address as your password
cd /pc/ts             #Go to the relevant directory
dir                   #Directory of available files
ascii                 #tsarc17.txt is an ordinary text file
get tsarc17.arc       #Copy the file to your default directory
binary                #tspfon29.arc is a binary file
mget tspfon*.arc      #mget allows wildcards
close                 #Terminate the connection
quit                  #Quit the file transfer program

Transferring the Programs to PC
===============================

After you have received the files to your host, there still remains
the task of transferring the programs to your PC.  This is familiar
to most users, but occasionally there are problems.  It impossible
to give advice that would cover resolving all the difficulties, but
the most common can be described.  The most usual file transfer
method between the host and the user's PC is MsKermit.  (Z-modem and
others may be used as well, but I would guess that most often
persons using these alternatives are advanced users, and can resolve
any problems by themselves.)

The most common problem is probably that after getting a packed file
to one's PC, the file appears damaged.  Almost always this is due to
failing to set correctly the MsKermit parameters in BOTH ends of the
transfer.  What you have to do is in your host MsKermit to set file
type binary, set parity even (or none or whatever), and in your PC
MsKermit you must have the SAME parity you set for your host (select
host MsKermit parity on the basis of your PC's).  If you fail to get
these compatible, the transfer will not result in what you want.
Transferring text files does not lead to problems so often.  The
trick is set file type text (or ascii depending on your MsKermit
version).