[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Extracting files

st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) (06/02/89)

I have just recently subscribed to this bulletin board, and am not sure
what procedure needs to be
followed to extract the archives of the various binary files found
thereon.  It seems that one needs
to use either arc or zoo.  In particular I am trying to sort out how to
reconstruct the massive posting
of Nethack 2.3 found on this board.    It appears to be in .arc format.
 Do I cut out the pieces of the archive and paste them together before
trying to unarc it?  or do I unarc it first.  And should this
be done on Unix machinery or on a PC (I have access to both versions).

Any help is appreciated.

Steven C. Timm

st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu

melnik@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (joann.melnik) (06/08/89)

In article <cYVdEky00WI28AZEUK@andrew.cmu.edu> st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:

}I have just recently subscribed to this bulletin board, and am not sure
}what procedure needs to be
}followed to extract the archives of the various binary files found
}thereon.  It seems that one needs
} Do I cut out the pieces of the archive and paste them together before
}trying to unarc it?  or do I unarc it first.  And should this
}be done on Unix machinery or on a PC (I have access to both versions).
}
}Any help is appreciated.

What about uudecode?  Where does that fit in?

I too am new and would apprciate instructions on how to use the
wealth of information posted here!

Thanks in advance.

Joanne Melnik, neophyte (and not ashamed to admit it)

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (06/09/89)

In article <220@cbnewsi.ATT.COM> melnik@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (joann.melnik,ho,) writes:

>I too am new and would apprciate instructions on how to use the
>wealth of information posted here!

About once per month, complete instructions for downloading
software are being posted in comp.binaries.ibm.pc .

This includes the necessary software (uudecode, arc (probably now zoo)).

Just wait and see.

				Michael