[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Memory dump utility wanted!

2014_5001@watmath.waterloo.edu (06/12/89)

We are looking for a utility to dump all of the memory, stack,
registers into a file, so that a program's state can be saved and
later restored.  It should be memory resident.  The reason for this
is to allow saving of games such as Dark Castle, so that we don't
have to go thru all the low levels when we die.

Alex Pruss 2014_5001.uwovax.BITNET

snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) (06/13/89)

> We are looking for a utility to dump all of the memory, stack,
> registers into a file, so that a program's state can be saved and
> later restored.  It should be memory resident.  The reason for this
> is to allow saving of games such as Dark Castle, so that we don't
> have to go thru all the low levels when we die.

I too would like such a thing. Does a program of this type exists for
the IBM? If so, could someone please email me a copy? Thanks in
advance. :-)

					- Jeff -
					snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu

djm@etive.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) (06/14/89)

In article <2725@nmtsun.nmt.edu> snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes:

>> We are looking for a utility to dump all of the memory, stack,
>> registers into a file, so that a program's state can be saved and
>> later restored.  It should be memory resident.  The reason for this
>> is to allow saving of games such as Dark Castle, so that we don't
>> have to go thru all the low levels when we die.
>
>I too would like such a thing. Does a program of this type exists for
>the IBM? If so, could someone please email me a copy? Thanks in
>advance. :-)
>
>					- Jeff -
>					snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu

There is a program called PEPORES (peek-poke resident, I think) which
would probably fit your requirements. What's more I also think its
public domain. I remember having a copy of it once but did not reload it
when my hard disk got corrupted last year - I should still have a copy
somewhere and if not could probably chase it up if anyone is interested.

Murff....

JANET: djm@uk.ac.ed.etive      Internet: djm%ed.etive@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
       Murff@uk.ac.ed.emas-a             Murff%ed.emas-a@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
       trinity@uk.ac.ed.cs.tardis        trinity%ed.cs.tardis@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
D.J. Murphy     *Artificial* intelligence ?  Evidently.....