[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] fractsrc.zoo Corrupted

twb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.w.beattie) (06/13/89)

My copy of the recent posting of fractsrc.zoo won't extract.
The parts pass the "brik -cv" test.
"zoo -e" doesn't recognize the problem and hangs.
"zoo -t" says the directory in the archive is corrupted.

Did anyone in AT&T get an uncorrupted copy?

Are you willing to E-mail it to me?
---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com
Dem bats is smart, they use radar   -The Dumb Guy

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (06/14/89)

jms@hcx.uucp (Michael Stanley) writes:

>In article <2304@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) writes:
>>
>> At the risk of initiating a dispute which I suspect neither of us is able to
>> settle, I suspect that the courts have not, in fact, said that SEA owns the ARC
>> format.  There was no judgement, and so the courts cannot have made a decision.
>
>Ah come on.  Lets not nitpick!  It doesn't matter EXACTLY what the courts
>decide, the MEANING behind the man's original statement was that WE can't
>write programs which can access ARC format archives without SEA's permission.
----------

I don't think the original poster was nitpicking.  Correct me if I am wrong,
but my understanding was that the SEA-PK dispute was settled out of court,
meaning that there was no ruling about anyone elses ability to use the ARC
format.  Also, it seems to be a common understanding (misunderstanding?) that
the main point of SEA's case was that Phil Katz used SEA source code in his
product, not that he used the same file format.

Please do not take this to mean that I favor using ARC files.  Personally,
I prefer the conditions under which ZOO is distributed and favor the switch
to ZOO.

John Hardin
-------