[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] RAMdisk for AT extended memory

vanderbi@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (David Vanderbilt) (06/05/89)

Can someone point me to a public domain or shareware version of
software to set up a RAM disk in the extended memory portion of
RAM on an AT machine?  (The only one I could find in the
SIMTEL-20 archives is LESDISK (msdos.sysutl), but its poorly
documented, and I can't get it to work on my machine.)

simcha@kurz-ai.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (06/06/89)

In article <2002@husc6.harvard.edu> vanderbi@husc4.UUCP (David Vanderbilt) writes:
>Can someone point me to a public domain or shareware version of
>software to set up a RAM disk in the extended memory portion of
>RAM on an AT machine?  (The only one I could find in the
>SIMTEL-20 archives is LESDISK (msdos.sysutl), but its poorly
>documented, and I can't get it to work on my machine.)

Is there anything wrong with the VDISK.SYS (or RAMDISK.SYS on
some clones) that comes with DOS?  If you make use of the /E
option, it will very happily make use of extended memory.

--
Simcha Lerner
Kurzweil Applied Intelligence

PLEASE NOTE ADDRESS: NO RETURN MAIL VIA bbn PLEASE

UUCP address:	kurz-ai!simcha@talcott.harvard.edu
	  or:	...{uunet,rutgers,ames}!harvard!talcott!kurz-ai!simcha

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (06/08/89)

In article <2002@husc6.harvard.edu> vanderbi@husc4.UUCP (David Vanderbilt) writes:
<Can someone point me to a public domain or shareware version of
<software to set up a RAM disk in the extended memory portion of
<RAM on an AT machine?  (The only one I could find in the
<SIMTEL-20 archives is LESDISK (msdos.sysutl), but its poorly
<documented, and I can't get it to work on my machine.)

Most recent versions of MSDOS include VDISK.SYS. It will create a
ramdisk in extended memory instead of normal memory if you put a
/E on the end of the command.

Example:
DEVICE=VDISK.SYS 512 /E
will create a 512k ramdisk in extended memory.

Check your DOS manual for details.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (06/15/89)

In article <1446@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>Most recent versions of MSDOS include VDISK.SYS. It will create a
>ramdisk in extended memory instead of normal memory if you put a
>/E on the end of the command.
>
>Example:
>DEVICE=VDISK.SYS 512 /E
>will create a 512k ramdisk in extended memory.

Small correction:  PC-DOS contains VDISK, some versions of MS-DOS from
various HW manufacturers (such as Compaq) also ship a VDISK.  However,
MS-DOS contains a program called RAMDrive.sys that performs the same
function.

Perhaps a better use of extended memory for many users is the disk
cacher SMARTDRV.SYS that ships with MS-DOS.

consult your local DOS reference for details.

Of course, the above opinions are mine and not those of Microsoft.
MS-DOS is a registered trademark of Microsoft. PC-DOS is a registered
trademark of IBM.

Phil Barrett