[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] my arc won't float

durian@tramp.Colorado.EDU (DURIAN MICHAEL BLAINE) (06/21/89)

  I'm new to ftp'ing programs for the ibm, so please forgive me if these
questions seem a bit naive.
  My problem is that I can not dearchive the files.  I assume that I should
use some form of arc or zoo to de-archive the files, but it doesn't work.
Am I correct in assuming that I should ftp one of the arc or zoo programs
with the .exe extension, download the program using kermit and then do something
like arce filename.arc?  There is one version of arce that I have, that starts
to work; it says uncrunching filename, but then hangs.  All other archive
programs that I have ftp'd don't even begin to work.  Programs that I have
tried: arc522, gsarc10, pak16, zoo201.
  If someone out there in net land would be so kind as to enlighten my
ignorance, I would be most appreciative.

thanx, mike

| Mike Durian | durian@tramp.colorado.edu | 'Twas brillig as the slithy toves |
| Boulder     | ncar!boulder!tramp!durian | Did gire and gimble in the wabe   |

c-msmith@wasatch.utah.edu (Matthew Smith) (06/24/89)

In article <9565@boulder.Colorado.EDU> durian@tramp.Colorado.EDU (DURIAN MICHAEL BLAINE) writes:

>  I'm new to ftp'ing programs for the ibm, so please forgive me if these
>questions seem a bit naive.
>  My problem is that I can not dearchive the files.  I assume that I should
>use some form of arc or zoo to de-archive the files, but it doesn't work.
>Am I correct in assuming that I should ftp one of the arc or zoo programs
>with the .exe extension, download the program using kermit and then do something
>like arce filename.arc?  There is one version of arce that I have, that starts
>to work; it says uncrunching filename, but then hangs.  All other archive
>programs that I have ftp'd don't even begin to work.  Programs that I have
>tried: arc522, gsarc10, pak16, zoo201.
>  If someone out there in net land would be so kind as to enlighten my
>ignorance, I would be most appreciative.
>
>thanx, mike

I had the same problem for a while myself, seeing as that I'm new to this
whole thing myself, but after a lot of detective work, I found some files
on SIMTEL-20 under their <msdos.starter> directory that gave a lot of
explanations.  I don't know what kind of machine you're FTP'ing to, but here
at Utah, we're on a UNIX based system, and I found out that I had to do a
"type tenex" rather than the "binary" transfer protocol.  There's a lot of
explanation that goes along with it, having to do with the fact that they're
storing programs that are written for 8-bit machines on 36-bit machines, so
there's a little problem in just a straight transfer.

But, like I said, there are a bunch of text files on SIMTEL-20 (26.2.0.74)
under the pd1:<msdos.starter> directory that explain how to do it for different
types of machines that you're FTP'ing to.  From there, you can use any normal
transfer protocol (such as Kermit, Xmodem, or whatever is on the system), to
get to down to your IBM, and then you should be able to un-ARC them as usual.

I decided to post this public in case there was anyone else out there like me
who was too shy to ask for help. :->

Matt Smith