[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PC-Curses

jbudet@oakhill.UUCP (jim budet) (06/21/89)

I would like to have a copy of PC-Curses that will work with Turbo-C.
I cannot ftp.  Could some one please post it to comp.binaries.ibm.pc or
mail it directly to me.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

					Jim Budet
	Company Disclaimer		Motorola Microprocessor Products Group
					Austin, Texas
	     Phone : (512) 891-3175
	    Usenet : oakhill!elmer!jbudet@cs.utexas.edu
	Compuserve : 73177,171

dwho@nmtsun.nmt.edu (David Olix) (06/22/89)

In article <2149@elmer.oakhill.UUCP> jbudet@oakhill.UUCP (jim budet) writes:

>I would like to have a copy of PC-Curses that will work with Turbo-C.
>I cannot ftp.  Could some one please post it to comp.binaries.ibm.pc or
>mail it directly to me.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you.

Could whoever has PC-Curses also mail it to me or post.  There are a few people
here at NMT that have been looking for this package also.

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (06/24/89)

Below is the text for another article that I posted to
comp.sources.wanted.

]
]	I am looking for a pointer to Pavel Curtis, author of
]Ncurses.  I am also looking for any information about the status
]of Ncurses (read:  PD/some or all rights reserved...).
]
]	Bjorn Larsson and I are attempting to clarify the legal
]status of PCCurses and it would certainly help if we could talk to
]Pavel Curtis.  Please email myself (or bjorn for European readers)
]if you have any information.
]
[...]
]
]My address to Bjorn Larsson is:
]	amdahl!pyramid!ucsbcsl!cmcvax!dscvax2!infovax!bl

	I have the recently posted PCCurses 1.3.  I have also added a
significant amout of functionality and am now in the process
determining with Bjorn Larsson (the original author) what the real
legal status is.

	Pending the resolution of this investigation, I will be
sending my modifications to Bjorn for inclusion in his next release
(presumably 1.4 via comp.binaries.ibm.pc).  If things are not time
critical, I suggest that people wait (hopefully this will be resolved
in the next one to three weeks at the most) or try to get the original
1.3 from an archive site.  It is my understanding that Bjorn will
maintain the public domain status of this future release.

Features list:

	* Full PC Color support.
	* X/Open Curses Interface Support (mostly supported).
	* Alt-key support.
	* Window Titles and title offsets (top line only).
	* Support for FlexOS (and a guide for porting to other
	  IBM PC class Operating Systems.
	* Selectable Direct Memory writes vs. BIOS writes.
	* MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA/MCGA/other hardware detection.
	  Clone detection is faulty though.
	* Alternate screen mode selection.
	* Alternate font size selection.
	* Complete reset to "terminal" based on original attributes.
	* Adopted X/Open Curses specification for chtype (alternate
	  char type) throughout PCCurses.
	* Rational support of Specified Curses Attributes within a color
	  format.
	* Macro-ized as many routines as possible.
	* Massive Source cleanup and tabification.... (Sorry, personal peeve;-)
	* Pop-up/Drop-Down Menu Support.  Features include:

		* Offset (y & x) of the menu WRT some parent window.
		* Preselectable Default Menu Item.
		* Menu width determination.
		* Menu length determination (will not exceed parent window
		  size).
		* Menu Title
		* Menu Title offset (left, centered, and right
		  justification can be done by the application).
		* Selectable Vertical Cursor Movement Wrap.
		* Hot keys.  (Not function keys associated with a menu
		  item.)
		* Selectable case insensitivity on hot key determination.
		* Menu item left/right justification control.
		* Menu Borders.
		* Bar Cursor.
		* Normal Attribute Specification.
		* Border Attribute Specification.
		* High-light Attribute Specification (for bar cursor).
		* Hot-key Attribute Specification.
		* Selectable Escape key exit.
		* Selectable non-cursor-key-break.  (Returns from menu
		  on any non-cursor key).
		* Selectable draw menu and return.

--Frotz @Digital Research, Incorporated		amdahl!drivax!frotz
	 70 Garden Court, B15			(408) 649-3896
	 Monterey, California  93940		Ask for John Fa'atuai

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (06/28/89)

In article <4744@drivax.UUCP> frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) writes:

>	I have the recently posted PCCurses 1.3.  I have also added a
			   ^
OOPS!  This should read:   |
			   +  "picked up"
Sorry about this misinformation...;-}  <== Shades of red

] ...significant amout of functionality and am now in the process
] determining with Bjorn Larsson (the original PCCURSES author) what the
] real legal status is.

	I just recieved a call from Pavel Curtis.  He is alive and
well in California.  (I will let him post his address (I only have
USmail).) Pavel said that he does much care about NCurses as he isn't
maintaining it any longer.  Unfortunately, he couldn't remember if he
placed any restrictions on NCurses.

QUESTION: Does anyone out there have a copy and, if so, can you send
me a copy of the file headers or documentation describing its legal
status?

advTHANKSance