[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Graphics output on a printer

ng@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Nicholas J. Giordano) (06/10/89)

I am learning how to use a new 286 machine with a VGA monitor.  I want
to get graphics output on a printer which is Proprinter compatible.
I first tried to use the GRAPHICS command, but it doesn't work.
I was then told that GRAPHICS.COM only works with CGA (although the
manual doesn't say this), and that I need a replacement for GRAPHICS.COM
which is smart enough to handle VGA.

So my question is where can I find such a program?  I assume that this is
a common problem.

Thanks.

Nick

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (06/14/89)

In article <2306@pur-phy> ng@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Nicholas J. Giordano) writes:
>I was then told that GRAPHICS.COM only works with CGA (although the
>manual doesn't say this), and that I need a replacement for GRAPHICS.COM
>which is smart enough to handle VGA.
>
>So my question is where can I find such a program?  I assume that this is
>a common problem.

DOS 4.0's GRAPHICS.COM supports VGA modes.

So you could update to it.

					Michael

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (06/16/89)

In article <2753@solo3.cs.vu.nl> msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) writes:
>DOS 4.0's GRAPHICS.COM supports VGA modes.
>
>So you could update to it.

Good news!  Anybody know if it also supports Hercules?  I've been using the
Herceps program for printing the screen up to now, but it'd be nice if this
were included as part of DOS.

(By the way, Herceps is VERY nice, and I'll likely go on using it whether
GRAPHICS.COM supports Hercs or not!)
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 ARPA - hartung@amos.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

wsinwaan@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (w.nuij) (06/26/89)

Nope, no hercules... There was an article in PC magazine a while back how to
patch graphics.com from 4.0 to remove the 'incorrect dos version' trap, and
to make it version-indepentent.

bye

ng@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Nicholas J. Giordano) (06/28/89)

Several weeks ago I asked about getting VGA graphics output dumped to a printer.
There were a number of suggestions, some of which involved examining the
archives at simtel.  Unfortunately, I have had no luck ftp-ing to simtel.
The problem is always different - they are either down, have too many anonymous
users, etc.

So, I ask for help again.  Does anyone have or know where I can get
(other than simtel) a replacement for graphics.com which can deal with VGA.
I am using a Zenith 286 machine, running dos3.3plus.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (06/28/89)

In article <2334@pur-phy> ng@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Nicholas J. Giordano) writes:

>So, I ask for help again.  Does anyone have or know where I can get
>(other than simtel) a replacement for graphics.com which can deal with VGA.
>I am using a Zenith 286 machine, running dos3.3plus.

DOS 4's graphics.com does support VGA modes. (It does a
reasonably good job: it looks in DAC registers, etc.)

The only problem is, that when you run it from
a different DOS version, you'll get an error message.
But in a recent (I don't know which) PC Magazine
there was a patch for it.

Succes,
				Michael

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (06/29/89)

SIMTEL20 has a limited number of net ports available for FTP jobs.
Lately we've seen very heavy FTP usage.  When insufficient net ports
are available you will get a message that says the FTP connection was
refused.  It's possible that your host's FTP may display "Service
Unavailable" when that happens.

Because of the very high demand for anonymous FTP services it became
necessary to limit the maxiumum number of those jobs in order to
preserve reasonable response time for our *paying* users.  If you get
a message that says there are too many anonymous ftp jobs, just keep
trying, as you would for a busy phone number.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives